Bangkok or Hongkong

Old February 3rd, 2004, 05:34 AM
Ruchika

Default Bangkok or Hongkong

Hi,

I have to book a ticket to India and the two options that I have are
either to go thru Bangkok or thru Hongkong.. Thru Hongkong, there is a
stopover of 10 hrs in Hongkong and thru Bangkok the stopover is approx
7 hours.. If I were to go see the city, any suggestions on which
route would be better considering the amount of time I have to see the
city? Does anyone know if I'll need a visa to get out of the airport
at both these places? What places are worth visiting at these two
places?

Thanks.

Old February 3rd, 2004, 08:52 AM
Per Löwdin

Hong Kong !

Yes, on the merits that u can make it into the city and back and spend a few
hours in a meaningful way sightseeing or whatever. Seven hours in Bangkok is
to short to make into town and do something worthwhile and get back to the
airport in time, mainly due to the congested traffic.

Per

Old February 3rd, 2004, 10:45 AM
Kris

Definately Hong Kong. 7 hours in BKK is not enough to get to the city,
see something and get back in time without totally stressing out. In
Hong Kong you'll leave the airplane and one hour later you will be in
Central already, no problem at all. If you plan carefully in advance,
you could do an awful lot of sightseeing in those 7-8 hours you have
left. Public transport in HK is extremly good, fast, reliable, easy.

Kris

Old February 3rd, 2004, 02:16 PM
EAC

(Ruchika) wrote in message . com...
Hi,

I have to book a ticket to India and the two options that I have are
either to go thru Bangkok or thru Hongkong.. Thru Hongkong, there is a
stopover of 10 hrs in Hongkong and thru Bangkok the stopover is approx
7 hours.. If I were to go see the city, any suggestions on which
route would be better considering the amount of time I have to see the
city? Does anyone know if I'll need a visa to get out of the airport
at both these places? What places are worth visiting at these two
places?

Thanks.

Due to both cities conditions and your situation, I recommend Hong
Kong for two reasons.

One, you have more time on Hong Kong than in Bangkok, time that you
could spend more on in the city.

Two, unlike Bangkok, Hong Kong has a much faster way to commute
between the airport and the city, and also in the city itself. This is
quite good since you have a time sensitive situation.

While you stay in Hong Kong, I recommend you the MTR (Mass Transit
Railways) and also the Airport Express.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/homepage/e_customer_index.php

The Airport Express provide you a fast transportation from the station
at Chek Lap Kok to the Hong Kong station at under half hour.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/jplanner/plann...t=50&destin=39

I also recommed that you use the Same Day Return ticket, this mean you
get a round trip ticket for the price of a one way ticket (HK$100).

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/train/ae_ticket.htm

The MTR provide you fast and easy transportation to many parts of Hong
Kong.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/train/intro.html

So if you're in Hong Kong, just as long you're nearby any MTR station,
you will have a fast and easy access to the airport.

If you aren't in a hurry in Hong Kong, instead of using the expensive
Airport Express, you can just use the MTR to get to Tung Chung station
and then use a taxi from there to the airport.

But it's not recommended if you're in a hurry, especially if you only
have around 10 hours in Hong Kong.

Though if you aren't in a hurry, the price difference is quite big.

It cost around HK$100 to get from the Hong Kong station to the Airport
station for a 23 minutes ride. While it cost around HK$23 to get from
the Hong Kong station to the Tung Chung station for a 26 minutes ride,
I don't the cost and the time duration of the taxi ride though.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/jplanner/plann...t=39&destin=44

The Octopus card is also recommended if you are going to use Hong Kong
public transportation regulary, not to mention also if you want to
purchase some goods and services, just as long you don't mind of being
tracked when ever and where ever you use the card (all of its uses are
recorded).

http://www.octopuscard.com/eng/index.jsp

But since you are going to stay just awhile, the Octopus card might
not be necessary for you.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 02:52 PM
Nisse Manpower

Ruchika wrote:

Hi,

I have to book a ticket to India and the two options that I have are
either to go thru Bangkok or thru Hongkong.. Thru Hongkong, there is a
stopover of 10 hrs in Hongkong and thru Bangkok the stopover is approx
7 hours.. If I were to go see the city, any suggestions on which
route would be better considering the amount of time I have to see the
city? Does anyone know if I'll need a visa to get out of the airport
at both these places? What places are worth visiting at these two
places?

Thanks.

I think there is a guided tour in HK that allows you a roundtrip in bus
- without leaving for immigration!

/Anders

--
Remove the obvious part before replying by mail please!
Old February 3rd, 2004, 04:06 PM
Iceman

(Ruchika) wrote in message . com...
Hi,

I have to book a ticket to India and the two options that I have are
either to go thru Bangkok or thru Hongkong.. Thru Hongkong, there is a
stopover of 10 hrs in Hongkong and thru Bangkok the stopover is approx
7 hours.. If I were to go see the city, any suggestions on which
route would be better considering the amount of time I have to see the
city? Does anyone know if I'll need a visa to get out of the airport
at both these places? What places are worth visiting at these two
places?

Either one would be worthwhile.

The advantage of Bangkok is that most of the major sights are right
next to each other. While you would need a few days to really see the
city, in 7 hours, you could see the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, Wat
Po and its giant reclining Buddha, the Grand Palace, and the Lak Muang
(sp?) shrine, and eat authentic Thai food and have a Thai massage.

In Hong Kong, there aren't really any must-see sights; it's more a
city of interesting neighborhoods and experiences. HK has great
restaurants, and lots of temples and traditional Chinese craft shops.
In 10 hours, you could take the "Peak Tram" for a great view of the
city, then take the Star Ferry to the mainland for a view of the
island's skyscrapers, then walk around both the frenzied modern
neighborhood of Tsim Sha Tsui, and the markets and craft shops of Yau
Ma Tei. Then go for dim sum and tea, or have some of the best Chinese
food anywhere in the world.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 06:47 PM
Peter L

"Ruchika" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I have to book a ticket to India and the two options that I have are
either to go thru Bangkok or thru Hongkong.. Thru Hongkong, there is a
stopover of 10 hrs in Hongkong and thru Bangkok the stopover is approx
7 hours.. If I were to go see the city, any suggestions on which
route would be better considering the amount of time I have to see the
city? Does anyone know if I'll need a visa to get out of the airport
at both these places? What places are worth visiting at these two
places?

What times of the day will you be getting into either cities? I think that
has a major impact on which one.

Thanks.

Old February 4th, 2004, 01:44 AM
Ruchika

"Peter L" wrote in message ...
"Ruchika" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I have to book a ticket to India and the two options that I have are
either to go thru Bangkok or thru Hongkong.. Thru Hongkong, there is a
stopover of 10 hrs in Hongkong and thru Bangkok the stopover is approx
7 hours.. If I were to go see the city, any suggestions on which
route would be better considering the amount of time I have to see the
city? Does anyone know if I'll need a visa to get out of the airport
at both these places? What places are worth visiting at these two
places?

What times of the day will you be getting into either cities? I think that
has a major impact on which one.

Thanks.

Thanks for all the responses.

In Hongkong - my flight arrives at 6:30 am and leaves at 5:30 pm
In Bangkok - my flight arrives at 10:50 am and leaves at 8:00 pm

So, I'll have around 9 hrs to see Hongkong and 7 hours to see Bangkok.
Old February 4th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Kris

Again, definately Hong Kong. Flight arrival time is perfect. In BKK
you'll spend most of your time stuck in traffic that time of day.

In Hong Kong you'll have passed immigration at 7:00 am, boarded the
Airport Express at 7:10 am, arrive in Central at 7:55 am, sip a coffee
in Pacific Coffee in IFC2 mall at 8:05 am and head into the city at
8:15 am

Kris