"No Fly List" - is a net to supress voice???

Old September 10th, 2004, 01:52 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Matt wrote:

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message

Matt wrote:

"Miguel Cruz" wrote:

To my reading it ought to be happening before the fact. That's why we

have

all that stuff with warrants and judges.

So how to police get away with arresting people and holding them until

their

arraignment? By your logic they must have the arraignment in front of a
judge before they are arrested. But that is not how it's done because

the

courts decided police can hold suspects for 48 hours (I think that's

right)

and still meet the due process requirements.

The police are subject to a fairly high standard - they have to

demonstrate

concrete reason to believe the person they arrest committed a crime.

Failure

to adhere to that and a whole host of other standards jeopardizes the case
and the person may be set free even if guilty.

It doesn't work that way with the no-fly list at all. People are put on
there for unknown reasons, and frequently, for reasons that are clearly
bogus (like the old nuns who were put on there for protesting Bush). Once

on

the list, people have no way to determine how they got on it, or reliably

get themselves off.

miguel

I agree, there should be a way to get off of the list, and there should be
valid reason for getting put on the list in the first place. But you don't
throw out the whole list because of mistakes, you fix it. Just like you
don't disband a police department because of a bad arrest.

Matt

You are all forgetting that there is no such thing as a list of persons.
What there is is a list of names and a matching algorithm. If the
funky matching algorithm matches a name on the list you are dumped. The
problem is that they keep making you prove that you aren't the person
who they are interested in. It is ridiculous that they cannot manage a
list of persons with a match who have been cleared as safe despite
matching. Extremely inefficient.

Old September 10th, 2004, 03:44 AM
Matt

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message

I agree, there should be a way to get off of the list, and there should

be
valid reason for getting put on the list in the first place. But you

don't
throw out the whole list because of mistakes, you fix it. Just like you
don't disband a police department because of a bad arrest.

Matt

You are all forgetting that there is no such thing as a list of persons.
What there is is a list of names and a matching algorithm. If the
funky matching algorithm matches a name on the list you are dumped. The
problem is that they keep making you prove that you aren't the person
who they are interested in. It is ridiculous that they cannot manage a
list of persons with a match who have been cleared as safe despite
matching. Extremely inefficient.

That's pretty much exactly what I've been saying so I agree completely.

The real question is not whether the current implementation of the list is a
good one, I think we all agree that it has some major flaws. The real
question is should there be a list in the first place? I personally don't
care if there is a no fly list as long as it doesn't unfairly target those
that have no reason to be on it in the first place. I'm willing to allow a
certain amount of leeway for the occasional misidentification, as long as
there is a way to correct the error. Such a list can never be 100% perfect,
and need not be held to that kind of a standard.

Matt