Flying is a sin - Bishop of London

Old August 5th, 2006, 06:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Hatunen

Default Flying is a sin - Bishop of London

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 00:09:38 GMT, Craig Welch
wrote:

Nisse PowerMan wrote:
Maurice ON4BAM wrote:
On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 09:39:42 +0100, Padraig Breathnach
wrote:

Keep god out of it!
Which one?

There is only one.

And which one is that?

Marduk

Old August 5th, 2006, 06:57 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Dick Locke

Which is a bit different than "there aint no other gods":....in fact
it strongly implies there are more than one.

Stuff and nonsense. Didn't their god tell the Hebrews, "Thou
shalt have no other gods before me"?

Old August 5th, 2006, 11:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Dave Frightens Me

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 10:32:57 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 09:34:21 +0200, Nisse PowerMan
wrote:

Maurice ON4BAM wrote:

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 09:39:42 +0100, Padraig Breathnach
wrote:

Keep god out of it!

Which one?

There is only one.

Stuff and nonsense. Didn't their god tell the Hebrews, "Thou
shalt have no other gods before me"?

Literally in English is suggests there is more than one, but that
could come down to a question of translation.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old August 5th, 2006, 09:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Hatunen

wrote:

Maurice ON4BAM wrote:

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 09:39:42 +0100, Padraig Breathnach
wrote:

Keep god out of it!

Which one?

There is only one.

Stuff and nonsense. Didn't their god tell the Hebrews, "Thou
shalt have no other gods before me"?

Literally in English is suggests there is more than one, but that
could come down to a question of translation.

At that time every tribe and location had its own set of gods. if
you conquered such a tribe, your gods had defeated its gods; they
might be absorbed into your own religion, though. It appears for
instance that the Greek gods' conquest of the Titans is the myth
of the time when the Greeks conqured the people already resident
in the Pelopeneses, those people haveing the Titans for their
gods.

I'm trying to think: does Yahveh claim anywere in Exodus to be
the only god? He does seem to say "I am the lord, thy god"
meaning he is the Hebrews' god, but that's not a claim of
uniqueness.

Old August 5th, 2006, 11:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Dave Frightens Me

wrote:

Maurice ON4BAM wrote:

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 09:39:42 +0100, Padraig Breathnach
wrote:

Keep god out of it!

Which one?

There is only one.

Stuff and nonsense. Didn't their god tell the Hebrews, "Thou
shalt have no other gods before me"?

Literally in English is suggests there is more than one, but that
could come down to a question of translation.

At that time every tribe and location had its own set of gods. if
you conquered such a tribe, your gods had defeated its gods; they
might be absorbed into your own religion, though. It appears for
instance that the Greek gods' conquest of the Titans is the myth
of the time when the Greeks conqured the people already resident
in the Pelopeneses, those people haveing the Titans for their
gods.

I'm trying to think: does Yahveh claim anywere in Exodus to be
the only god? He does seem to say "I am the lord, thy god"
meaning he is the Hebrews' god, but that's not a claim of
uniqueness.

Your points are valid and well reasoned, even if I think it's all a
load of crap.
--
---
Old August 7th, 2006, 11:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to nobody

If you have an orgy with another couple which includes your wife, is
that also a sin ? Is it really that different from inviting that other
couple for an equisite 7 course dinner and all of you sitting at the
same table ?

very different unless the people are all able to have sex without
any emotional input.

most people would probably agree that to bring up children best
you need a stable family and that swinging does not work well for
that. to simplify, take the example of having sex outside of
marriage, that is clearly just a matter of breaking rules, not
sin. (I might have argued differently before contraception).

A sin depends on your values. For some people, being naked in front of
others is perfectly natural (nudist colony for instance) and has no
"sin" implications. But in some regions of the world, exposing your legs
is considered a sin because you're not supposed to show your body to
others but your own spouse.

nudity has no sinful content, its only sin in the minds of the
narrow minded, nobody is harmed, beyond having their feelings
offended. (which can never be justification).
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old August 9th, 2006, 04:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_1_]

The Reid wrote:
Following up to B Vaughan

greed, selfishness? Something like that I would think.

Talk about right wing religious fanatics!!!

According to mainstream Christian theology, everyone is a sinner and
it's nothing to be ashamed of.

so if I covert my neighbours oxen, that's OK, is it? Surely sin
is supposed to be wrong and shameful and avoided?

Most of us don't have neigbors with oxen, let alone CIA oxen.