BAA and Rip Off Britain - airport prices higher than High Street

Old September 8th, 2007, 08:10 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.air
Doesn't Frequently Mop

Default BAA and Rip Off Britain - airport prices higher than High Street

Make credence recognised that on Fri, 7 Sep 2007 22:55:52 +0100,
"William Black" has scripted:

"Doesn't Frequently Mop" wrote in
message ...

In the end there's always a substitute for just about everything.

You can runs cars, and just about everything else, on methane, hydrogen
or
alcohol.

None of which have the properties of petrol, or petroleum-base
comparatives, sorry.

So what?

They'll make it work.

My money is on human ingenuity.

That would be the 'hope' strategy then. OK, I'll go with that given
there's not much else on offer.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old September 8th, 2007, 10:04 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.air
Iceman

messagenews:7vd3e3dakoteu71bkp6dlra32anqqvia7e@4a x.com...

In the end there's always a substitute for just about everything.

You can runs cars, and just about everything else, on methane, hydrogen
or
alcohol.

None of which have the properties of petrol, or petroleum-base
comparatives, sorry.

So what?

They'll make it work.

My money is on human ingenuity.

That would be the 'hope' strategy then. OK, I'll go with that given
there's not much else on offer.

Although I'm not completely persuaded of the peak oil theory, I think
it's definitely reasonable to prepare for oil scarcity just in case
rather than expect unseen technologies to bail us out.

If we expect oil to be much scarcer in the future, and take real steps
to adjust to that reality, and then vast new oil reservoirs are found
or new alternative energy sources which can largely replace fossil
fuels are developed, at most we would spend a few percent of our GNP,
and would have a cleaner environment as a result.

By contrast, the price of doing nothing and being wrong while the oil
runs out could be the collapse of civilization as we know it, or a
global war over the oil that remains.

In the short run, take significant steps to cut demand, step up
research and development, and bring all alternatives on board as much
as possible. For example, stop building far-flung suburbs, and design
cities around mass transit so that much of the population wouldn't
need a car. Have real rules on fuel efficiency to stop wasteful large
cars, and on houses and buildings to make them energy efficient. Have
freight rail largely replace trucking. And use wind, solar, and yes,
nuclear, as much as possible. People's diets should adjust to less
meat and processed foods and more fresh fruits and vegetables.

Old September 9th, 2007, 09:46 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.air
Doesn't Frequently Mop

Make credence recognised that on Sat, 08 Sep 2007 14:04:51 -0700,
Iceman has scripted:

wrote:
Make credence recognised that on Fri, 7 Sep 2007 22:55:52 +0100,

That would be the 'hope' strategy then. OK, I'll go with that given
there's not much else on offer.

Although I'm not completely persuaded of the peak oil theory, I think
it's definitely reasonable to prepare for oil scarcity just in case
rather than expect unseen technologies to bail us out.

It's not the scarcity that will be the problem, it will be the rise in
cost. Just what can we expect if (when?) it's five times the price it
is now?

Of course we then have to question whether the taxes will continue to
be applied as a percentage, in which case the governments will make an
absolute ****load of money from the increase in price. Will taxes ever
be reduced on fuel if the prices shoot up? It hasn't happened yet.
--
---
Old September 9th, 2007, 10:11 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.air
tim.....

"Doesn't Frequently Mop" wrote in
message news

wrote:
Make credence recognised that on Fri, 7 Sep 2007 22:55:52 +0100,

That would be the 'hope' strategy then. OK, I'll go with that given
there's not much else on offer.

Although I'm not completely persuaded of the peak oil theory, I think
it's definitely reasonable to prepare for oil scarcity just in case
rather than expect unseen technologies to bail us out.

It's not the scarcity that will be the problem, it will be the rise in
cost. Just what can we expect if (when?) it's five times the price it
is now?

This is supply and demand working. As the price goes
up people will look to doing things without using so much

The problem that we have now, is that we waste oil because
it *is* too cheap.

As Iceman says, we should be taking the steps now, to
legisilate wasteful use out of the system, if we don't do so we'll
just run out sooner.

tim

Old September 9th, 2007, 12:28 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.air
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 10:46:27 on
Sun, 9 Sep 2007, Doesn't Frequently Mop
remarked:
Although I'm not completely persuaded of the peak oil theory, I think
it's definitely reasonable to prepare for oil scarcity just in case
rather than expect unseen technologies to bail us out.

It's not the scarcity that will be the problem, it will be the rise in
cost. Just what can we expect if (when?) it's five times the price it
is now?

Of course we then have to question whether the taxes will continue to
be applied as a percentage,

In the UK it's a lump sum plus a small percentage

--
Roland Perry
Old September 9th, 2007, 12:58 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.air
Doesn't Frequently Mop

Make credence recognised that on Sun, 9 Sep 2007 10:11:17 +0100,
"tim....." has scripted:

"Doesn't Frequently Mop" wrote in
message news

It's not the scarcity that will be the problem, it will be the rise in
cost. Just what can we expect if (when?) it's five times the price it
is now?

This is supply and demand working. As the price goes
up people will look to doing things without using so much

The problem that we have now, is that we waste oil because
it *is* too cheap.

As Iceman says, we should be taking the steps now, to
legisilate wasteful use out of the system, if we don't do so we'll
just run out sooner.

Well, as I said before, we'll never "run out", it will just be too
expensive.

And I'm guessing raising the price will be the preferred method of
reducing waste, as it usually is.
--
---
Old September 9th, 2007, 01:18 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.air
tim.....

[...]

Of course we will. Oil is a finite resource, we aren't making
any more of it (in human lifetime terms)

And I'm guessing raising the price will be the preferred method of
reducing waste, as it usually is.

It is happening too slowly. Look at the current outcry
about "how expensive gas is" when in real terms it's
no higher than it was in the 70s. It's been cheap for
30 years and no it's got back to a 'reasonsble' price
everyone says it too expensive!

tim

--
---

Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:08 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.air
monmouth taxis

What miffs me as a taxi driver is that BAA airports have now stopped their
free drop off and pick ups in the short stay car parks close to the
terminal. This means passengers have a long hike from the long stay car
parks to the terminal.

Good to see someones making a fast buck out of the terrorist threats

--
Kevin
http://www.monmouthtaxis.co.uk