Paper tickets..

Old December 26th, 2006, 11:51 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default Paper tickets..

Hi,

Can someone help me by telling the difference between ATB2 tickets and
Paper ticket?
Are these the only forms of non-Etickets?

Season greetings to all,
Vinodh

Old December 28th, 2006, 12:24 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Graham Harrison

"Matthias van Henk" wrote in message

Hi,

Can someone help me by telling the difference between ATB2 tickets and
Paper ticket?
Are these the only forms of non-Etickets?

ATB2 Tickets do have a magnetic strip on the flipside where Check-In and
booking informations are stored. Also the coupons might be used as
ticket and boarding pass. As well an airline or agency can use them as
MCO for a Prepaid Ticket Advice (automated MCO).

I could also check in at a machine using the same procedure as I would
have done using an e-ticket. I just needed to insert the ATB2 coupon
instead of my FF card.

IATA (
www.iata.org) wants to ban all paper tickets from 2008, but there
will be exceptions for ATB2 tickets.

Regards
Matthias

"Paper" tickets come in a range of flavours. Firstly you have hand written
versus machine written tickets. The hand written are largely a thing of
the past. The original machine written tickets were the multi coupon/red
carbon/flimsy paper/stapled together in a book (known as TAT or OPTAT
depending on whether the airline or an agency issued it). Then the ATB
arrived with it's stiff card form and (in most cases) a machine readable
magnetic strip on the reverse side. There are some markets where that same
piece of ATB card can be used for both tickets and MCO printing.

The IATA plan is to phase out ALL paper documents (that's tickets and MCOs)
after midnight 31 December 2007. I'm not aware of any exception for MCOs,
in fact a proposal to IATA for an exception was defeated. As far as agency
MCOs are concerned, IATA have developed a temporary solution they call
"Virtual MPD" and the industry is just starting to develop the true
electronic replacement for the MCO known as an EMD.

Old December 30th, 2006, 08:24 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 00:24:33 -0000, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

[...]

I am curious as to how this will work when you are at some grass-strip
airfield in West Rubanghistan where they have electricity on alternate
Thursdays and your flight leaves on one of the days when the power is
not working and thus no computers and maybe no phones.

While I have never been to the more remote parts of the world, I do
hear that places such as some of the smaller island nations way out in
the pacific have very unreliable power and communications sytems and I
really do wonder what's going to happen to someone on his way across
the world who hits this spot and finds they have no way to verify you
have an outgoing ticket (and have nio real way of calling 10,000 miles
to the airline home office to find out, even if they cared enough to
do so.)

Don't get me wrong, on the whole I like e-tickets, one less thing to
lose. But if I am on a complicated itinerary or heading for the back
of beyond, a paper ticket would likely make me feel a lot more secure.

What also amazes me is that I just recently bought an LAX to Florence
italy trip and Lufthansa, of all technically advanced airlines,
*requires* a paper ticket on that routing. Very much surprised me.

Jim P.