Coping With Child's Tantrum on Plane

Old January 27th, 2007, 03:47 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Banty

Default Coping With Child's Tantrum on Plane

In article , ant says...

Bogart wrote:
sigh those long haul flights where a baby starts screaming. Not
content with merely disturbing neighbouring passengers, the adoring
parent (for some reason it's usually the father) decides he has to
take the shrieking brat for a leisurely stroll along the length of the
cabin so that *everyone* on the flight can admire the lung development
of the little horror.

Yep, exactly! I always grimly hope that they perambulate through business
and first, too. so thye'll be tackled and bashed up by the flight
attendants.

WTF are those parents thinking? Share the misery? *******s.

Right - people do things just to bother you and people like you - that's what
they spend their thoughts and energies on, all about how to get your precious
attention, y'all are the center that others revolve around. :-/

The *reason* why parents get up with crying babies and walk around is because
the movement is soothing to the babies.

Banty

Old January 27th, 2007, 06:08 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Alan Street

In article , Nobody
wrote:

ant wrote:
WTF are those parents thinking? Share the misery? *******s.

No all babies/kids are alike. And they do not have a on/off or a "snooze
for 10 hours" switch to make their stop.

Yes, it is easy for a passenger,s point of view to criticise a crying baby
and his/her apparently incompetant parents who are unable to quiet the baby
and appear to be making strange/stupid moves through the cabin.

Some babies/kids are easier to control than others. Some parents have more
experience than others. And those who haven't yet found the way to quiet
their child are still experimenting with various ways and they appear to be
clueless/stupid/silly to others.

OK, but that doesn't change the reality that unruly children don't
belong on planes. If your child can't behave themself for the duration
of the flight, or you can't control them, don't take them on a plane.

Hint: if it were so easy to get a kid into "snooze" mode to be quiet for a
while, flight attendants would show up next to some screaming kid, perform
some magic incantation they learned during FA training and the kid would
shut up, stop being agitated and be quiet. Some tricks you learned with
your own kid may or may not work on other kids.

Old January 27th, 2007, 07:14 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Hatunen

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 10:43:32 +1100, Bogart
wrote:

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 15:09:01 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 21:59:00 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Hatunen writes:

There are very few children who haven't thrown a tantrum at some
time in their early lives.

I must be very lucky, because I've encountered quite a few.

You've been watching them all their lives? What are you? A
pedophile?

Hmmm, a paedophile lame. That's something that's never been tried on
usenet before...

Huh?

Old January 27th, 2007, 08:14 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Hatunen

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 18:48:46 +1100, Bogart
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 01:29:46 -0500, Nobody wrote:

ant wrote:
WTF are those parents thinking? Share the misery? *******s.

No all babies/kids are alike. And they do not have a on/off or a "snooze
for 10 hours" switch to make their stop.

Yes, it is easy for a passenger,s point of view to criticise a crying baby
and his/her apparently incompetant parents who are unable to quiet the baby
and appear to be making strange/stupid moves through the cabin.

I'll type this slowly for you:
It never frigging works. The sprog howls, the proud sperm donor
marches it up and down the aisles so that the entire ****ing passenger
load is disturbed by it.

You do understand, despite your paranoia, that the reason a
parent walks a baby who is upset is because it usually soothes
the baby? This is even done at home when you aren't around to
irritate.

Some babies/kids are easier to control than others.

Exactly. See the comment re gaffer tape and beatings earlier in this
thread.

Some parents have more
experience than others. And those who haven't yet found the way to quiet
their child are still experimenting with various ways and they appear to be
clueless/stupid/silly to others.

Hint: if it were so easy to get a kid into "snooze" mode to be quiet for a
while, flight attendants would show up next to some screaming kid, perform
some magic incantation they learned during FA training and the kid would
shut up, stop being agitated and be quiet. Some tricks you learned with
your own kid may or may not work on other kids.

Hint: don't march your screaming poo machine up and down the entire
friggin' plane while I'm in the cabin. I don't want to hear it.

Who gives a **** what you want to hear? You're the least of the
parents' problems.

Old January 27th, 2007, 08:15 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Hatunen

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:44:09 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Nobody writes:

No all babies/kids are alike. And they do not have a on/off or a "snooze
for 10 hours" switch to make their stop.

True. Bad behavior runs in families.

Yes, it is easy for a passenger,s point of view to criticise a crying baby
and his/her apparently incompetant parents who are unable to quiet the baby
and appear to be making strange/stupid moves through the cabin.

Parents are passengers, too, and many passengers are parents. You're
making a specious distinction between the two.

Some babies/kids are easier to control than others. Some parents have more
experience than others. And those who haven't yet found the way to quiet
their child are still experimenting with various ways and they appear to be
clueless/stupid/silly to others.

Many of them _are_ stupid. It runs in families.

Hint: if it were so easy to get a kid into "snooze" mode to be quiet for a
while, flight attendants would show up next to some screaming kid, perform
some magic incantation they learned during FA training and the kid would
shut up, stop being agitated and be quiet. Some tricks you learned with
your own kid may or may not work on other kids.

Benadryl works on all kids. So does proper parenting, but many
parents are incompetent.

I was with you up to there, but proper parenting doesn't always
work. For one thing a baby is too young to have had things work
yet; reasoning certainly doesn't work.

Old January 27th, 2007, 08:43 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 16:48:36 +1100, "ant" wrote:

Bogart wrote:
sigh those long haul flights where a baby starts screaming. Not
content with merely disturbing neighbouring passengers, the adoring
parent (for some reason it's usually the father) decides he has to
take the shrieking brat for a leisurely stroll along the length of the
cabin so that *everyone* on the flight can admire the lung development
of the little horror.

Yep, exactly! I always grimly hope that they perambulate through business
and first, too. so thye'll be tackled and bashed up by the flight
attendants.

WTF are those parents thinking? Share the misery? *******s.

I don't normally take the side of the screaming kid, but often the
motion of walking soothes the child and may just calm him/her down and
put the kid to sleep or at least stop the screaming.

Jim P.
Old January 27th, 2007, 08:52 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Hatunen

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 10:08:34 -0800, Alan Street
wrote:
OK, but that doesn't change the reality that unruly children don't
belong on planes. If your child can't behave themself for the duration
of the flight, or you can't control them, don't take them on a plane.

Unfortunately, you don't usually know that until it's too late.

Old January 27th, 2007, 09:33 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Hatunen writes:

Who gives a **** what you want to hear?

You sound just like a parent.

Old January 27th, 2007, 09:34 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Hatunen writes:

I was with you up to there, but proper parenting doesn't always
work. For one thing a baby is too young to have had things work
yet; reasoning certainly doesn't work.

The sources I've ready say otherwise. I suppose it's true that a
stupid child might not benefit as much from proper parenting, but
competent parents tend to be smart, and so do their children.

Old January 27th, 2007, 09:34 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Hatunen writes:

Unfortunately, you don't usually know that until it's too late.

A parent would have to be really out of touch with his children to be
surprised to that extent.