BAA and Rip Off Britain - airport prices higher than High Street

Old September 2nd, 2007, 01:01 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.air
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Default BAA and Rip Off Britain - airport prices higher than High Street

JohnT wrote:

"William Black" wrote in message

"CJB" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have been complaining for years about BAAs advertising prices being
the same as in the High Street. Which High Street? Certainly not the
ones I shopin. The prices at BAA shops are way ABOVE High Street
prices. Even their Duty Free / Tax Free are above the normal High
Street prices. Its about time BAA was taken to court for misleading
the public. The wholly owned Spanish BAA is one of the worst of 'Rip
Off Britain.'

Two points.

1. The Costa Coffee places at Heathrow charge exactly the same as they do
anywhere else in the UK.

2. £16 for two litres of premium brand booze isn't a bad price.

3. What idiot eats meals or drinks pints of beer at airport restaurants?

I have had to eat several times at LHR, Airside, when my connecting flight
has been significantly delayed.

I've eaten frequently, regardless of delays. Depending on where you're
going, the actual amount of time between arriving at the airport and
then arriving at your destination can amount to many hours- certainly
crossing over the time in which you'd normally feel like eating a meal.
If you're connecting on a flight from the UK to Europe, this can add
another several hours. For long-haul, you'll usually get something on
the plane of course (though even that's changing with low-cost operators
where you'll pay extra.)

When I was commuting from here to Barcelona, I usually had a drink or
two at the airport but skipped dinner, as I knew exactly when I'd get to
the hotel, and out to a nearby restaurant (which I knew would still be
serving), and simply preferred to eat there.

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
http://www.davidhorne.net - real address on website
Old September 2nd, 2007, 01:20 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.air
Stephen Farrow

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:03:09 on Sun, 2
Sep 2007, tim..... remarked:
The problem with the leaflet is that it says the prices are the
same as in *your* high street when in fact the prices charged
are the same as the ones charged (in the same store) in
London branches. I don't see the problem with this, LHR is,
in fact, in London.

It's in Hounslow, which is a long way from the West End. The nearest
"real" High Street is probably in Slough.

No, Staines, Hounslow or Windsor, probably.

--

Stephen

Anita: Is genitalia the silver stuff you drape over the branches?
Bren: Yeah.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 01:26 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.air
William Black

. uk...

"CJB" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have been complaining for years about BAAs advertising prices being
the same as in the High Street. Which High Street? Certainly not the
ones I shopin. The prices at BAA shops are way ABOVE High Street
prices. Even their Duty Free / Tax Free are above the normal High
Street prices. Its about time BAA was taken to court for misleading
the public. The wholly owned Spanish BAA is one of the worst of 'Rip
Off Britain.'

Two points.

1. The Costa Coffee places at Heathrow charge exactly the same as they
do anywhere else in the UK.

2. £16 for two litres of premium brand booze isn't a bad price.

3. What idiot eats meals or drinks pints of beer at airport restaurants?

I have had to eat several times at LHR, Airside, when my connecting flight
has been significantly delayed.

Get a sandwitch at costa.

They're reasonably good and stave off the pangs until your airline can
deliver you a tepid, plastic but free meal.

And, btw, your sig is becoming incredibly tedious!

This any better?

--
William Black

Razors pain you, Rivers are damp
Acids stain you, And drugs cause cramp
Guns aren’t lawful, Nooses give
Gas smells awful, You might as well live."

Old September 2nd, 2007, 01:52 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.air
JohnT[_3_]

"William Black" wrote in message

. uk...

"CJB" wrote in message
[...]

When I have a delayed flight or a long connection, then I much prefer to
have a proper meal in a restaurant where I can sit at a table and be served.
And the last time I had a pint at LHR, it cost about the same as a 12 ounce
can of Budweiser on AA (which I didn't buy).

In answer to your question, no. Your sig would be perfect if it terminated
with your name.

--

JohnT

Old September 2nd, 2007, 02:02 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.air
tim.....

"William Black" wrote in message

. uk...

"CJB" wrote in message
[...]

It must have been about five years ago that an airline
travelling in Europe served me anything approaching
a free meal.

You either exclusively fly long haul or are seriously out of
touch

tim

Old September 2nd, 2007, 02:05 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.air
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

JohnT wrote:

[]
When I have a delayed flight or a long connection, then I much prefer to
have a proper meal in a restaurant where I can sit at a table and be served.
And the last time I had a pint at LHR, it cost about the same as a 12 ounce
can of Budweiser on AA (which I didn't buy).

The only US airline I can think of which serves free booze in economy on
transatlantic flights is NW- at least as of January this year...

Old September 2nd, 2007, 02:05 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.air
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

William Black wrote:

"JohnT" wrote in message
. uk...

[]
I have had to eat several times at LHR, Airside, when my connecting flight
has been significantly delayed.

Get a sandwitch at costa.

They're reasonably good and stave off the pangs until your airline can
deliver you a tepid, plastic but free meal.

You don't fly much in Europe then, I take it. You don't get free meals
on most European routes in economy any more- some airlines let you pay
for one though. Some will serve a small sandwhich for free, and that's
about it.

Old September 2nd, 2007, 02:28 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.air
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

::::Jim Mason:::: wrote:

In article ,
says...
William Black wrote:

"JohnT" wrote in message
. uk...

[]
I have had to eat several times at LHR, Airside, when my connecting
flight has been significantly delayed.

Get a sandwitch at costa.

They're reasonably good and stave off the pangs until your airline can
deliver you a tepid, plastic but free meal.

You don't fly much in Europe then, I take it. You don't get free meals
on most European routes in economy any more- some airlines let you pay
for one though. Some will serve a small sandwhich for free, and that's
about it.

Ryanair's ``Snack Pack`` is legendary, superb value for money and contains
enough stuff to feed a small nation.

Jim

;-)

I was worried there for a moment!

I had the easyjet breakfast ciabatta a few times and enjoyed it!