BAA and Rip Off Britain - airport prices higher than High Street

Old September 2nd, 2007, 02:57 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.air
MC

Default BAA and Rip Off Britain - airport prices higher than High Street

"::::Jim Mason::::" wrote in message

Ryanair's ``Snack Pack`` is legendary, superb value for money and contains
enough stuff to feed a small nation.

Jim

Just interested...what does this "Snack Pack" contain and at what price. I
have never flown with a "budget" airline as I have only ever used BA for my
Euro travels.

MC

Old September 2nd, 2007, 03:24 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.air
MC

wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 12:13:10 +0100, "William Black"
wrote:

All outlets where they know they have captive customers
are intent on ripping people of left right and center, going out I
take my own food and drink but forced to pay their rip off charges on
the return journey or die of thirst and starvation .

Never more so than in the UK. I have flown all over the world, US, SE Asia,
Australia/NZ, as well as Europe and I have NEVER come across any airports
that are as expensive as the London airports. I am fortunate that I often
fly Business Class and can, thus, use the lounges but occasionally I have to
use the airport catering outlets. They are, indeed, a rip off but I do
agree that sometimes one is "forced" to pay up or starve.

MC

Old September 2nd, 2007, 03:26 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.air
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 13:26:31 on Sun,
2 Sep 2007, William Black remarked:
They're reasonably good and stave off the pangs until your airline can
deliver you a tepid, plastic but free meal.

I've just got off an EZY flight and their meal wasn't free. Just a
costa-lot slice of Pizza and a soft drink for £5.50 (I passed). The
sandwiches were cold, rather than tepid.
--
Roland Perry
Old September 2nd, 2007, 03:49 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.air
[email protected]

On 2 Sep, 14:57, "MC" wrote:
"::::Jim Mason::::" wrote in message

Ryanair's ``Snack Pack`` is legendary, superb value for money and contains
enough stuff to feed a small nation.

Jim

Just interested...what does this "Snack Pack" contain and at what price. I
have never flown with a "budget" airline as I have only ever used BA for my
Euro travels.

BA Disconnect will also charge you (although I think no long owned by
BA, so BA 'proper' must have less routes).

Most non-budget airlines on Euro pond-hopper routes include a snack of
some sort.

The the problem is not the cost is so high (usually it isn't), just
the inconvenience of fannying around with change/different currencies
for the passengers and the cabin staff. The whole thing could be
streamlined if it was included in the cost of a ticket.

Of course you could upgrade to business class and go from a snack to
something more like a proper meal, but that can cost you several
hundred pounds. Now that is likely the most expensive mean you will
every buy..

MC

Old September 2nd, 2007, 03:53 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.air
Jack Campin - bogus address

Never more so than in the UK. I have flown all over the world, US,
SE Asia, Australia/NZ, as well as Europe and I have NEVER come
across any airports that are as expensive as the London airports.

You haven't ordered a drink from the bar at Ankara, then.

Old September 2nd, 2007, 04:12 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.air
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 13:20:03 on Sun, 2 Sep
2007, Stephen Farrow remarked:
It's in Hounslow, which is a long way from the West End. The nearest
"real" High Street is probably in Slough.

No, Staines, Hounslow or Windsor, probably.

Staines and Hounslow each 5 miles, Slough 8 miles, Windsor 11 miles.
--
Roland Perry
Old September 2nd, 2007, 04:16 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.air
William Black

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 12:13:10 on Sun, 2
Sep 2007, William Black remarked:

3. What idiot eats meals or drinks pints of beer at airport restaurants?

One who is in the middle of a long journey, and doesn't want to venture
outside the airport instead. Can you name the closest cheaper place, if I
was travelling through Heathrow or Gatwick?

As I said, Costa Coffee have plenty of places at Heathrow and sell at their
usual high street price.

I believe that TGI Friday in Heathrow Terminal 3 boasts about charging
exactly the same as everywhere else in the chain as well...

I'm afraid I haven't travelled through Gatwick for years.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old September 2nd, 2007, 04:23 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.air
William Black

"JohnT" wrote in message
. uk...

When I have a delayed flight or a long connection, then I much prefer to
have a proper meal in a restaurant where I can sit at a table and be
served.

TGI FRiday's serve at street prices in Heathrow Terminal 3

And the last time I had a pint at LHR, it cost about the same as a 12
ounce can of Budweiser on AA (which I didn't buy).

I've no idea what airlines charge for beer. I must be honest, I've never
been on a flight that lasted longer than an hour or so where they don't give
it way free.

In answer to your question, no. Your sig would be perfect if it terminated
with your name.

Nope, sorry.

--
William Black

Free men have open minds
If you want loyalty, buy a dog

Old September 2nd, 2007, 04:24 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.air
William Black

"tim....." wrote in message

"William Black" wrote in message

"JohnT" wrote in message
. uk...
"William Black" wrote in message

"CJB" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have been complaining for years about BAAs advertising prices being
the same as in the High Street. Which High Street? Certainly not the
ones I shopin. The prices at BAA shops are way ABOVE High Street
prices. Even their Duty Free / Tax Free are above the normal High
Street prices. Its about time BAA was taken to court for misleading
the public. The wholly owned Spanish BAA is one of the worst of 'Rip
Off Britain.'

Two points.

1. The Costa Coffee places at Heathrow charge exactly the same as they
do anywhere else in the UK.

2. £16 for two litres of premium brand booze isn't a bad price.

3. What idiot eats meals or drinks pints of beer at airport
restaurants?

I have had to eat several times at LHR, Airside, when my connecting
flight has been significantly delayed.

Get a sandwitch at costa.

They're reasonably good and stave off the pangs until your airline can
deliver you a tepid, plastic but free meal.

It must have been about five years ago that an airline
travelling in Europe served me anything approaching
a free meal.

You either exclusively fly long haul or are seriously out of
touch

Longhaul or 'frequent flyer card' on BMI, and so free food and booze.

--
William Black

Time for tea.