Spoilt Brats/Annoying Kids/Etc

Old October 8th, 2003, 09:21 PM
Casey

Default Spoilt Brats/Annoying Kids/Etc

It's those 3-to-5 YO's that tend to scream the most particularly
when they don't get their way for whatever reason.

I'd say 2-4. They don't call them the Terrible Twos for nothing.

Casey

Old October 8th, 2003, 11:29 PM
Dairenn Lombard

You know what I find interesting is that whenever I hang around Asian babies,
toddlers, and other children, my ears are routinely spared any abuse at all.
I really don't have any working theories as to why this is. It's just that, I
first, brace for sonic impact when I see the child...but then, I hear no noise.
It's amazing.

--
Dairenn Lombard
Los Angeles, CA - http://www.base-ix.com/~dlombard/

Old October 9th, 2003, 05:41 AM
Qansett

Peter L wrote:

You don't have kids, do you?

No thank goodness. But if I did I wouldnt take them flying.

"Qansett" wrote in message
I know this topic has been covered before, but I have and idea that I
know
I'm going to cop a lot of flak for, anyhow here goes:_

Its the typical scenario, travelling from Brisbane to Sydney on Virgin
Blue, with
this child persistantly crying and screaming, with the parent doing very
little to
rectify the situation. It was so bad that i really pittied the pax that
sat so close to it,.

I suggested to the pax beside me, that the parent should take the kid
into one of
the aircrafts toilets, to at least calm the child down and to isolate
his offensive
noise from those sitting close to him. The pax beside me agreed, but
getting the
parent to agree would be a major problem. I welcome any feedback on
this.

In the meantime a friend and I are desperately trying to invent a
special mask for
this situation, when if the mask is placed over the mouth of the infant,
it would
completely muffle out all the noise without suffocating the child in
anyway at all.

If this works, I will can retire a rich person.

Old October 9th, 2003, 09:12 AM
Jonathan Smith

(The Bill Mattocks) wrote in message . com...
Qansett wrote in message ...
I know this topic has been covered before, but I have and idea that I
know
I'm going to cop a lot of flak for, anyhow here goes:_

I agree that screaming babies are the worst - and parents develop a
special sort of deafness that makes them not seem to hear it whenever
it would be inconvenient for them - but I've been through this fight
on r.t.a. before and I lost! The solution is earplugs or headphones
for you, not a muffler for the kid.

Although frankly, the thought of duct tape, cling wrap, and cargo
holds for crying babies make me smile a bit inside...

Bwahahahaha!

BTW, parents who are immune to babies piercing screams are also often
not able to SMELL the little pooper's special qualities, either. Only
the rest of the plane is aware of Junior's lumpy surprise.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Urban myth - as a father and grandfather I have never been able to
immunize my hearing or sense of smell. In fact, my wife used to tell
me that a mother can hear her baby cry even before the crying starts.
I also firmly believe, even in the absence of real data, just multiple
anecdotes (if Tauger can do it, so can I), that parents who appear to
be immune from the crying of their infant/child are not - but rather
have adopted the best strategy to curtail the event by not reacting to
it. If you don't reinforce a behavior, it soon stops - well, at least
that's the operant conditioning theory.

Maybe these parents know more about what works than non-parents give
them credit for. Then again, maybe some people are just happier when
they have something to complain about.

js
Old October 9th, 2003, 03:48 PM
Kenny

"Qansett" wrote in message
Peter L wrote:
You don't have kids, do you?

No thank goodness. But if I did I wouldnt take them flying.

Why not? it's not that bad..... My son is been flying since he was 6 months
old. he never made a noise during the trip. he's 10 now and I do need to
tell him to turn down the game boy in the plane.

Kenny

Old October 9th, 2003, 04:34 PM
The Bill Mattocks

(Jonathan Smith) wrote in message om...
Urban myth - as a father and grandfather I have never been able to
immunize my hearing or sense of smell. In fact, my wife used to tell
me that a mother can hear her baby cry even before the crying starts.

I believe that *some* parents are tuned in to what Junior is up to.
Some are, um, less so.

I also firmly believe, even in the absence of real data, just multiple
anecdotes (if Tauger can do it, so can I), that parents who appear to
be immune from the crying of their infant/child are not - but rather
have adopted the best strategy to curtail the event by not reacting to
it. If you don't reinforce a behavior, it soon stops - well, at least
that's the operant conditioning theory.

Yes, if your puppy poops on the rug, you should ignore it, so as not
to reinforce that bad behavior. How about a rolled-up newspaper
across the hindquarters, followed by showing puppy where he should do
his bidness?

Funny how times change. My dad's idea of dealing with crying,
carrying on, misbehaving, etc, was a sharp crack on the ass,
administered immediately and in public. Amazing how well it worked.
By today's 'enlightened' views, he'd have been a criminal for such
behavior.

Maybe these parents know more about what works than non-parents give
them credit for.

Perhaps some do. Or, what I suspect is more likely, some of these
seemingly non-attentive parents are actually deeply concerned about
raising their children correctly, but they're being horribly misled by
the latest psycho-babble about child-rearing. That would be maybe 10%
of them. The rest are just complete and utter selfish morons. They
raise kids like they drive cars - badly.

I'm working in Orange County, CA this week. The two-mile drive to
work is a real experience. Lots of very expensive cars zooming in and
out of traffic, no turn signals, phones planted firmly on ears, speeds
about 20 mph over the limit on side-streets. And it's not just one or
two of them, it's all of them. Red lights mean you get another 6 or 7
cars through the light before you really, really, have to stop. If
your car costs more than $50,000 USD, you can park sideways across
three parking spots in the tight little cramped parking lots they have
here. I have little doubt that these are the parents who I am
referring to in their parental capacity. All about 'me' to hell with
society.

Then again, maybe some people are just happier when
they have something to complain about.

I know I certainly am. Complaining is great good fun, and it relieves
stress. What, you want me keep it all inside and just burst a blood
vessel one fine day?

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks
Old October 9th, 2003, 07:21 PM
Peter L

"Qansett" wrote in message

Peter L wrote:

You don't have kids, do you?

No thank goodness. But if I did I wouldnt take them flying.

Sure just lock them in a closet. Don't forget the muffle so their screams
won't bother the neighbors.

Old October 10th, 2003, 05:31 AM
Da Parrot-chick

"The Bill Mattocks" wrote in message
m...

Funny how times change. My dad's idea of dealing with crying,
carrying on, misbehaving, etc, was a sharp crack on the ass,
administered immediately and in public. Amazing how well it worked.
By today's 'enlightened' views, he'd have been a criminal for such
behavior.

There is absolutely no way I would ever use violence to discipline a child.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent--it means that reasoning
power has failed. Besides, what do you do when the kid starts hitting back?

snip

Complaining is great good fun, and it relieves
stress. What, you want me keep it all inside and just burst a blood
vessel one fine day?

I'd rather you didn't let misfortunes and inconveniences get under your skin
in the first place

Old October 10th, 2003, 07:12 AM
Jonathan Smith

(The Bill Mattocks) wrote in message om...
(Jonathan Smith) wrote in message om...
Urban myth - as a father and grandfather I have never been able to
immunize my hearing or sense of smell. In fact, my wife used to tell
me that a mother can hear her baby cry even before the crying starts.

I believe that *some* parents are tuned in to what Junior is up to.
Some are, um, less so.

It takes all kinds. I don't think bad parents are created - I think
they started out as bad humans.

I also firmly believe, even in the absence of real data, just multiple
anecdotes (if Tauger can do it, so can I), that parents who appear to
be immune from the crying of their infant/child are not - but rather
have adopted the best strategy to curtail the event by not reacting to
it. If you don't reinforce a behavior, it soon stops - well, at least
that's the operant conditioning theory.

Yes, if your puppy poops on the rug, you should ignore it, so as not
to reinforce that bad behavior.

Not exactly what I meant - but pretty funny.

How about a rolled-up newspaper
across the hindquarters, followed by showing puppy where he should do
his bidness?

You think parenting and dog rearing should be managed the same way?
Well shoot - let's just put them in little cages in the hold.

Funny how times change. My dad's idea of dealing with crying,
carrying on, misbehaving, etc, was a sharp crack on the ass,
administered immediately and in public. Amazing how well it worked.

I'm not so sure it worked all that well. Look at all the examples of
bad parenting - now think about the role model.

By today's 'enlightened' views, he'd have been a criminal for such
behavior.

Physical punishment I personally find replsive. it certainly is
criminal if it happens between adults, why should it be any less
criminal if it happens between an adult and a child. Was it "for
their own good"?

Maybe these parents know more about what works than non-parents give
them credit for.

Perhaps some do. Or, what I suspect is more likely, some of these
seemingly non-attentive parents are actually deeply concerned about
raising their children correctly, but they're being horribly misled by
the latest psycho-babble about child-rearing. That would be maybe 10%
of them. The rest are just complete and utter selfish morons. They
raise kids like they drive cars - badly.

That describes 90% of the adult population irrespective of their
parental status.

I'm working in Orange County, CA this week. The two-mile drive to
work is a real experience. Lots of very expensive cars zooming in and
out of traffic, no turn signals, phones planted firmly on ears, speeds
about 20 mph over the limit on side-streets. And it's not just one or
two of them, it's all of them. Red lights mean you get another 6 or 7
cars through the light before you really, really, have to stop. If
your car costs more than $50,000 USD, you can park sideways across
three parking spots in the tight little cramped parking lots they have
here. I have little doubt that these are the parents who I am
referring to in their parental capacity. All about 'me' to hell with
society.

No doubt - but then again, how do you know that this behavior is
exclusive to parents?

Then again, maybe some people are just happier when
they have something to complain about.

I know I certainly am. Complaining is great good fun, and it relieves
stress. What, you want me keep it all inside and just burst a blood
vessel one fine day?

I use other constructive methods to reduce stress. I find hitting
that little white ball deep into the woods a great stress reliever.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Happy travels

js
Old October 10th, 2003, 08:51 AM
Qansett

Peter L wrote:

"Qansett" wrote in message

Peter L wrote:

You don't have kids, do you?

No thank goodness. But if I did I wouldnt take them flying.

Sure just lock them in a closet. Don't forget the muffle so their screams
won't bother the neighbors.

I will try Not to forget