Tipping in USA/Canada

Old November 13th, 2007, 07:07 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Robert Cohen

Default Tipping in USA/Canada

On Nov 13, 9:29 am, "TMOliver" wrote:
"Robert Cohen" wrote...

Cup of chile (imho, beats the chile at Chili's)

Other than among the truly desperate from the area of Cincinnati, that item
from the Wendy's menu would better be described as tomato-flavored hamburger
stew with some onions and (bell) peppers or maybe "Semi-Sloppy Joe". Any
resemblance to "Chile" is well beyond pure coincidence. While I'm not much
for the Chile at "Chili's", your comparison provides adequate evidence that
to your palate, **** and Shinola would be indistinguishable.

There are moments short of near starvation upon which a Wendy's meal is
edible (if not anywhere close to "Flavor-filled", but not many, only
occasionally rising above the nadir of dining, a meal at BK or anything but
breakfast's greasy biscuits at Mickey's Ds. Aside the moment when the
larder has naught but hardtack with active weevils as a protein supplement
and water with small critters moving about upon its surface, I try to avoid
all three of the chains. While I'd be unlikely to again resort to the
well-matured CRations once provided to me for a few meals decades ago, were
Wendy's the only other choice, I'd think on it....

TMO

Hey, the shinola at Krysthal Kitchen ain't bad either, and especially
on a bitter cold day, the mini-donuts 'n coffee too.

As a matter of unvarnished truth: I'd rather masticate hot Krystals
than your snotty pswaydo-feed, including:

The onion bits, the fresh mini bun, and the terrific grilled thinnnnnn
meat.

And if Ray Kroc had stopped at Davenport's place in Chattanooga,
rather than that infamous McDonald hamburger stand in California to
sell 'em milkshake makers:

The world, civilized and semi civilized, instead of hating annoying
imperialistic Mc golden arches, would be charmed by silver & white
sanitary, Depression Era spartan shiny (ola) decor.

Remember when:

Krysthals were eleven cents,
& doughy carmel, chocolate, and plain donuts were 2 for a nickle.

And 50--60 year later, National Public Radio woulda got double that
generous contribution from an angel, Joan Kroc.

Old November 13th, 2007, 07:16 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Martin D. Pay

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:52:37 -0800, "PTravel"
mangled uncounted electrons thus:

"Qanset" wrote in message
. au...

snip reasoned and intelligent reply

OP is a troll. And an Australian. It's not worth feeding him.

Martin D. Pay
Not always comfortable with the 'tipping' part of traveling in
the US. But it's the custom and culture of the country so I do as
the locals do. It's only polite...
Old November 13th, 2007, 08:54 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Newby

"Qanset" wrote in message
u...
DaveM wrote:
On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 21:29:14 +1100, Qanset wrote:

The wife and I are planning at trip to USA/Canada in the near future.
Is it true that the Yanks are really hung up on tipping, and that
FORGETTING to tip someone is courting disaster???

Like most tourists we will be traveling on a limited budget,this means
that anybody expecting free money from us will be advised to look

elsewhere.

A colleague of mine who honeymooned in Hawaii was told by a tour bus
operator, that he EXPECTED gratuities for his efforts, because his job
was poorly paid. What more can I say.???

[snipped]

What does a tour guide, or taxi driver, do that suggests he/she should get a
tip?

Old November 13th, 2007, 09:39 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DaveM

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:52:37 -0800, "PTravel"
wrote:

Oh, but they will -- they will know you as the "rude [I'm going to guess
from your screen name] Australian." And for those foreigners who have had
limited contact with Australians, they will judge Australia and all
Australians by your actions. Like it or not, we are all de facto
ambassadors for our countries when we travel internationally. By
deliberately ignoring the customs and practices of the countries that you
visit, you are setting a very poor example for your own and one by which
your fellow countrymen will be judged.

That's my philosophy, too. Unfortunately, bad behaviour isn't always
accurately attributed - I'm commonly mistaken for an antipodean in the
States, and that's happened to a lot of fellow Brit's, too. If the same
confusion occurs with a true Australian accent he may just end up
reinforcing the stereotype of the British as bad tippers.

DaveM
Old November 13th, 2007, 10:51 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message DaveM
wrote:

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 23:45:15 +1100, Qanset wrote:

No she didnt stupid.

You missed a trick. I've seen more than one establishment in Vegas where the
staff name badges included the state or country of origin. Or was the
"stupid" epithet self-deprecatory?

I assumed it was a signature, and he simply forgot the separator.
Old November 13th, 2007, 11:13 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Qanset

Newby wrote:
"Qanset" wrote in message
u...
DaveM wrote:
On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 21:29:14 +1100, Qanset wrote:

The wife and I are planning at trip to USA/Canada in the near future.
Is it true that the Yanks are really hung up on tipping, and that
FORGETTING to tip someone is courting disaster???

Like most tourists we will be traveling on a limited budget,this means
that anybody expecting free money from us will be advised to look

elsewhere.
A colleague of mine who honeymooned in Hawaii was told by a tour bus
operator, that he EXPECTED gratuities for his efforts, because his job
was poorly paid. What more can I say.???

[snipped]

What does a tour guide, or taxi driver, do that suggests he/she should get a
tip?

I dont know. I ask them yourself.
Old November 13th, 2007, 11:14 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Qanset

Hatunen wrote:
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 15:54:46 -0500, "Newby"
wrote:

What does a tour guide, or taxi driver, do that suggests he/she should get a
tip?

Well, they will both suggest you give him/her a tip.

This is where the fun starts.
Old November 13th, 2007, 11:15 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Qanset

Craig Welch wrote:
Qanset said:

Here in Aus, tips are appreciated, NOT expected. I worked part time
as a barman and other times as a taxi driver. Tips were few and far
between. Thats our culture, its what were used to.

I've also worked drinks. I can only assume that I was better at it
than you.

On what evidence to base that assumption. Most of my customers were
hoons and yobbo's at the SCG or SFS
Old November 13th, 2007, 11:17 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Qanset

Jan wrote:
Qanset wrote:
Dennis P. Harris wrote:
On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 21:29:14 +1100 in rec.travel.air, Qanset
wrote:

I'm going to cop a lot of flak on this subject, but never mind I
have and open mind on accepting advice on World Travel.
if you have an open mind, the usual gratuity for good service is
15 per cent of the tab. it does not apply in fast food places

where you take your own food to the table.

Thats exactly what I intend to do.

My sister whilst on holiday in Florida, visited a totally self service
buffet.
Upon reaching the till to pay - at this point all she and her family had
were the empty trays on which to place their food. - She was asked if she
wanted "the tip" added to her bill !!!!

Jan

.

For being self service, I would have laughed at the cashier.
Old November 13th, 2007, 11:18 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Qanset

Craig Welch wrote:
Qanset said:

Craig Welch wrote:

Qanset said:

Bit late for that, I was there 20 years ago. I saw a peurto rican
waitress get hostile because a British Visitor forgot to leave her a tip
on the table. Her conduct was absolutely disgraceful.
How did you know her nationality? Did she have a badge?

No she didnt stupid.

Well how did you know her nationality?

Obviously, I have traveled more than you. Also lived and worked in UK
and Canada.