Tipping in USA/Canada

Old November 28th, 2007, 03:38 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

Default Tipping in USA/Canada

mrtravel wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

America the Beautiful wrote:

I never said we are the best (but we are), I said our waitresses make a
good living considering their skills.

Obviously they don't.

what do you based this on?

The poverty that his wait staff endures.

Our waiters get paid a reasonable rate in the first place,

you said they get min. wage.

They get at least the minimum wage as a starting point, that's not
$2.13.
Old November 28th, 2007, 03:39 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

Greg Procter wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

America the Beautiful wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

The peasants' only relaxation was taking
Jews apart to see what made them work.

And its still a mystery.

I think he is confusing this with the Swiss and watches.

Try reading a bit of Russian history in regard to the lives of the
average peasants.

Nobody cares but you.

Ok, so you'd prefer to remain ignorant about your ancestry - that means
you're arguing with me from your position of ignorance - there's a
surprise!
Old November 28th, 2007, 03:40 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

Greg Procter wrote:

America the Beautiful wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

It appears that waitresses' incomes for forty hours work would be
between $183.60 (minimum wage after tax) and $1,000-. That would average
out, making allowances for both the pretty ones, at about $250- per
week.

How did you get $183.60 for minimum wage after tax?
There would be no income tax on minimum wage.
Social security would be paid, but technically it isn't a tax, according
to the Federal Insurance Contributions Act of 1934.
In any case, SS and Medicate amount to 7.65 perccet For what it's
worth, the employer also pays this 7.65 percent.

How did you determine the maximum to be $1000?

That's not difficult, from Chris's figures - 5 tables x $5- tip per
table per hour x 40 hours.

There might well be abberations, but Chris's figures have to be
considered the highest

Highest? I was being liberal.

That's what I mean - liberal with the truth.

I don't think you really know what you mean.

Of course you don't think.
Old November 28th, 2007, 03:41 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

America the Beautiful wrote:

Dominos is a brand of make-believe pizza. Kids order it during midnight
munchie fits.

Is there no depths yanks won't decend to???
I thought dominoes were those little black rectangular slabs that bar
customers play some stange game with.

Even though Domino's is a well established brand in New Zealand.

You really ought to get out more.

It's not well established here in the city of Hukerenui!

You said a couple of posts ago that you live in the country, not in
the city.

Are you not clear?

Sure, Hukerenui has a population of 1040 spread over a radius of 7km.

So do you live in a city or in the country?

That would obviously depend upon one's definition of "city" (and
country)
I've pretty much covered that point with the population and area
statistics above.

So you don't know if you live in a city or in the country!

Truly astonishing.

If you knew Grogs like we know grogs you'd see that its really nor all
that astonishing.

Another confused reader bites his keyboard.

Then maybe you should take e deep breath and go get a sandwich.

As it happens I went to a restaurant - the waiter was the owner.
Old November 28th, 2007, 04:12 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
America the Beautiful[_2_]

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

Must be the ****ty pay that keeps his wait staff away.

--
Chris F.
Long Island

UN tries to take over our internet AGAIN!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDDitDBPFW8

American military power!!!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FuilPdrkN_Y

British military power.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=gdbR2d2BZSw

New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark on
Aristocrats and Mongoloids, plus sings.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ybDZLzNrB-Y
Old November 28th, 2007, 04:12 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
America the Beautiful[_2_]

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

America the Beautiful wrote:

Then maybe you should take e deep breath and go get a sandwich.

As it happens I went to a restaurant - the waiter was the owner.

Did you tip him?

He tipped greg to make sure he leaves early.

Old November 28th, 2007, 04:26 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Sarah Czepiel

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 21:22:39 -0500, America the Beautiful
wrote:

:
:
:Craig Welch wrote:
:
: Greg Procter said:
:
:
:Craig Welch wrote:
:
:Greg Procter said:
:
:
:Craig Welch wrote:
:
:Greg Procter said:
:
:
:Craig Welch wrote:
:
:Greg Procter said:
:
:
[...]

Nope.....it's not all that astonishing at all.
Old November 28th, 2007, 04:46 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Sarah Czepiel

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:01:07 +1300, Greg Procter
wrote:

:Sarah Czepiel wrote:
:
: On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 01:16:52 -0800, mrtravel wrote:
:
: :Sarah Czepiel wrote:
: :
: : On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:52:22 +1300, Greg Procter
: : wrote:
: :
: : :I've been a tax payer since I first took on fruit picking in my school
: : :holidays as a child and will remain a tax payer until the day I die.
: :
: : Good lord, Procter! Now you admit to being an itinerant farm worker!
: :
: :That was before he bought the art gallery with his fruit picking income.
:
: I believe his 'art gallery' consisted of a few velvet paintings for
: sale at a road side stand.
:
:You also believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Bad Tooth
:Fairy.

: I seem to recall Procter saying he'd
: never sold a single painting. Hope he made bundles picking fruit.
:
:You seem to recall lots of things Sarah, none of them are ever true.

Yet given the opportunity AGAIN you fail to set the story straight.
Interesting....
Old November 28th, 2007, 04:46 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Sarah Czepiel

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 15:58:41 +1300, Greg Procter
wrote:

:Sarah Czepiel wrote:
:
: On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 22:03:39 +1300, Greg Procter
: wrote:
:
: :Sarah Czepiel wrote:
: :
: : On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:52:22 +1300, Greg Procter
: : wrote:
: :
: : :I've been a tax payer since I first took on fruit picking in my school
: : :holidays as a child and will remain a tax payer until the day I die.
: :
: : Good lord, Procter! Now you admit to being an itinerant farm worker!
: :
: :Do you understand the concept of school holidays and earning pocket
: :money by working???
:
: You're the only person I've known who spent school holidays working as
: an itinerant farm worker, Procter.
:
:You don't get about much, do you?

Not in citrus groves, fruit picker.

: Maybe ya shoulda tried waiting tables....?
:
:There aren't that many tables in the country.

For you to make money? Wow no wonder you don't know about tipping.
Sounds like you Kiwi's are a bunch of cheap bastids.
Old November 28th, 2007, 07:51 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
mrtravel[_3_]

Greg Procter wrote:

Err, you have a single engined flying boat capable of sea landings in
any weather???

Any weather? Who said anything about "any"?
Why would it have to be a sea landing?

There were a limited number of twin engined aircraft that flew from New
Zealand in the period in question. They were tracked down and
eliminated.

Wow, you NZ are tough. Eliminated?

The numerically big opportunity for departure was by air to the USa. The
USa wouldn't co-operate with New Zealnd to eliminate that possibility.

Maybe they traveled by boat.

In fact they did, but the point there was that they would have been
identified if they had been on a boat at the time of the terrorist
attack because of the distances involved.

Don't the French also have submarines?

They do - in fact the terrorist's means of escape turned out to be by
boat and then submarine to the NW.

Didn't you just say they would have been detected on a boat or
submarine, and they had to have flown to the US, because they weren't
detected on a boat or submarine? Now, you said they were on a boat.
So how did the US not helping with the air passenger info prevent the NZ
Navy from looking for a boat?