Tipping in USA/Canada

Old November 14th, 2007, 01:35 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_3_]

Default Tipping in USA/Canada

PTravel wrote:

Bit late for that, I was there 20 years ago. I saw a peurto rican
waitress get hostile because a British Visitor forgot to leave her a
tip on the table. Her conduct was absolutely disgraceful.

And what's your point? You are aware, however, that there are
approximately 300 million people in the U.S. and, as far as I know,
we're not represented by a Puerto Rican waitress who you encountered 20
years ago.

Well PR has its own olympic team, so it isn't really "in the U.S."

Old November 14th, 2007, 01:40 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_3_]

Qanset wrote:

Newby wrote:

"Qanset" wrote in message
u...

DaveM wrote:

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 21:29:14 +1100, Qanset wrote:

The wife and I are planning at trip to USA/Canada in the near future.
Is it true that the Yanks are really hung up on tipping, and that
FORGETTING to tip someone is courting disaster???

Like most tourists we will be traveling on a limited budget,this means
that anybody expecting free money from us will be advised to look

elsewhere.

A colleague of mine who honeymooned in Hawaii was told by a tour bus
operator, that he EXPECTED gratuities for his efforts, because his job
was poorly paid. What more can I say.???

[snipped]

What does a tour guide, or taxi driver, do that suggests he/she should
get a
tip?

I dont know. I ask them yourself.

Can you repeat that in English?
Old November 14th, 2007, 01:42 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_3_]

Qanset wrote:

Craig Welch wrote:

Qanset said:

Craig Welch wrote:

Qanset said:

Bit late for that, I was there 20 years ago. I saw a peurto rican
waitress get hostile because a British Visitor forgot to leave her
a tip
on the table. Her conduct was absolutely disgraceful.

How did you know her nationality? Did she have a badge?

No she didnt stupid.

Well how did you know her nationality?

Obviously, I have traveled more than you. Also lived and worked in UK
and Canada.

WOW... The UK and Canada.
Considering your education, that was a feat.
Old November 14th, 2007, 01:43 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_3_]

Qanset wrote:

DaveM wrote:

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 23:45:15 +1100, Qanset wrote:

Craig Welch wrote:

Qanset said:

Bit late for that, I was there 20 years ago. I saw a peurto rican
waitress get hostile because a British Visitor forgot to leave her
a tip
on the table. Her conduct was absolutely disgraceful.

How did you know her nationality? Did she have a badge?

No she didnt stupid.

You missed a trick. I've seen more than one establishment in Vegas
where the
staff name badges included the state or country of origin. Or was the
"stupid" epithet self-deprecatory?

DaveM

Either way, I couldnt give a dam. Your remarks are merely digressing
from the original topic.

Did you mean "damn", or are you just saying you don't have any dams to
give away?
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:23 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Robert Cohen

On Nov 13, 3:40 pm, "TMOliver" wrote:
"Robert Cohen" wrote ...

Hey, the shinola at Krysthal Kitchen ain't bad either, and especially
on a bitter cold day, the mini-donuts 'n coffee too.

As a matter of unvarnished truth: I'd rather masticate hot Krystals
than your snotty pswaydo-feed, including:

The onion bits, the fresh mini bun, and the terrific grilled thinnnnnn
meat.

And if Ray Kroc had stopped at Davenport's place in Chattanooga,
rather than that infamous McDonald hamburger stand in California to
sell 'em milkshake makers:

The world, civilized and semi civilized, instead of hating annoying
imperialistic Mc golden arches, would be charmed by silver & white
sanitary, Depression Era spartan shiny (ola) decor.

Remember when:

Krysthals were eleven cents,
& doughy carmel, chocolate, and plain donuts were 2 for a nickle.

In exchange for time spent among our little short neighbors in SEA, God has
blessed me by allowing my dining, plebian and mundane by the standards of
sophisticated urbanity displayed by some here - but not you Robert! - to
routinely and as matter of practice avoid Krystal and White Castle, two of
the greatest offenses against humanity ever foisted off upon the American
people.

I would rather dine upon Baluts dipped in a mixture of Nam Pla and
Chili-Garlic Paste chased with 33 Beer and Lucky Tiger Gin or to gorge
myself on steamed land crabs netted in a cemetery after a tsunami had
exposed substantial of its occupants to their rapacious gnibbling, than to
waste a hunger at the drive in window of a Krystal.

TMO- Hide quoted text -

The subject matter is touring this gigantic place w/o tipping.

He couldn't ride the Greyhound-Trailways in from Aussieland, and
besides that interstate in Hawaii has been deliberately terminated.

So, he inquired here, at the airplane web site, which is almost
completely logical.

The "tips" I give are about the real & austere appropos U.S. for the
budget foreign tourist.

The non-patricians over here already knew about Ryans and the Golden
Chorale, but do l'estrangers?.

Snobs have sought to bull****e-embarrass-belittle a forthright simple
inquiry for goodness sakes.

We don't have European style hostels here (do we?), but we do have so-
called several "downscale" ways to get bye.

Some Americans may fancy themselves as sophisticates when they are
actually ipso facto arrogant effluent ethnocentrics, trying to shame a
candid person who understandably doesn't like to tip.

One can get bye here; though the information or published written poop
is typically sparse.

I have been analogized to a roach for tellling a little inside truth
as i crawl-in from my humble wall cavity.

The fact is I've also dined at Arnaud's of New Orleans and Bookbinders
of Philly prior to some of these phoneys' births.

In recent years the aussie dollar has risen from only about 55 cents
to now about 90 cents of the u.s. buck.

B-t-w: Don't order those onion rings at the Outback Steakhouse, unless
you need your body lubed with cholesterol.

..

Old November 14th, 2007, 02:34 AM posted to rec.travel.air
StephanieM

You know I don't even know why Qanset bothered to write about this.
It is clearly evident he is going to tip how he desires. No matter
what the local custom/culture would dictate. I can't say that I
always enjoy the local customs/culture, but I try to adhere to them as
best as I can.

Old November 14th, 2007, 07:20 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Qanset

Craig Welch wrote:
"Rog'" said:

"Craig Welch" wrote:
"JohnT" said:
So the customer has to pay his/her server's minimum
wage in addition to paying for the food and the tax.
As in every country in the world.
In the US, it's just structured differently.

Tipping does more to ensure that wait staff receives
a just wage than would funneling it thru management.

Really? In countries with which I'm familiar where there is
virtually no tipping, such as Japan, waiters seem to do quite well,
with a decent wage.

You cant compare this subject between the USA and Japan
Old November 14th, 2007, 07:23 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Qanset

Brian wrote:
On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 19:49:44 +1100, Qanset wrote:

Not really, I try to be flexible when observing local customs, but I
will not be bullied into tipping, which I have seen happen.

Then as someone said, don't eat at places in which the employees
depend on tips to earn their living.

Do you always try to change everyone's customs when you travel?

Dont be stupid, you cant change peoples customs in their own country,
If they offend you then simply move on.
Old November 14th, 2007, 07:24 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Qanset

Louis Krupp wrote:
Qanset wrote:
snip
... I try to be flexible when observing local customs, but I will not
be bullied into tipping, which I have seen happen.

Tipping in the US is like trying to speak French in France; do it, and
people smile. After all, one reason for traveling is to interact with
the locals, and it has to be more fun than just looking at the scenery
while treating the people like robots.

Interaction with waiters and so on isn't always just about money.

It is in the USA

Louis

Old November 14th, 2007, 07:26 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Qanset

StephanieM wrote:
The part of the question I couldn't understand why is someone would be
miserly not to tip when it is highly likely they are coming from a
place where they are buying US dollars for cheap, that they would be
offended by tipping.

Its not a case of being miserly. Its a matter of principle.
Everybody has the right to decide if they choose to tip or not to tip.
In some Asian countries my wife and I have gladly given money to the
homeless.