Tipping in USA/Canada

Old November 23rd, 2007, 01:18 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Sarah Czepiel

Default Tipping in USA/Canada

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 06:06:28 GMT, Craig Welch
wrote:

:Sarah Czepiel said:
:
:Most wait staff are not allowed to keep on their person money of any
:kind. It is often on the employment contract as a reason for
:immediate termination.
:
:Perhaps in your world. Not the case in mine.

Ok Craig. Thanks for your contribution.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 01:42 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
America the Beautiful[_2_]

wrote:

:

man, I ****ed up some serious food last night....!!!!!

--
Chris F.
Long Island

UN tries to take over our internet AGAIN!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDDitDBPFW8

American military power!!!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FuilPdrkN_Y

British military power.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=gdbR2d2BZSw

New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark on
Aristocrats and Mongoloids, plus sings.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ybDZLzNrB-Y
Old November 23rd, 2007, 01:43 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
America the Beautiful[_2_]

Greg Procter wrote:

Ken Ehrett wrote:

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 20:47:48 -0500, Groggy the imbecile wrote:

I've had jobs that were well below my intellectual capabilities....

That's pretty hard to imagine coming from someone who has been
outwitted by riding lawn mowers.

You'd be hard pressed to out-think my lawn mower!

You speak like you own a great American John Deere.

Old November 23rd, 2007, 01:49 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
America the Beautiful[_2_]

Greg Procter wrote:

America the Beautiful wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

Sarah Czepiel wrote:

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 16:14:27 +1300, Greg Procter
wrote:

:Hatunen wrote:
:
: On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 12:07:50 +1300, Greg Procter
: wrote:
:
: Hatunen wrote:
:
:
: You're shooting your mouth off as usual Chris - the US actively
: obstructed New Zealand attempts to find information relating to the
: identities of the terrorist operatives. That allowed the other terrorist
: operatives to escape.
:
: do you have an imparital cite for that obstruction?
:
: Not off-hand, but it's both common knowledge and official statement of
: the time.
:
: "Common knowledge" is frequently wrong, and offical statements
: should be easy to cite.
:
:News statements from 1985. Official statements pointing to that US crime
:since are nonexistant for obvious reasons.

The obvious and correct reason they are nonexistent statements is
because you made them up, Procter.

Not me Sarah, the US refused to co-operate with New Zealand on catching
the terrorists, both on information sharing and physical aprehending of
said terrorists. That's FACT.

Can you back that up with proof?

The proof is readily accessible.

Then you should have no problem providing proof, innit.

It is of course a negative.

Whatever that means

Old November 23rd, 2007, 02:04 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Sarah Czepiel

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 05:34:33 -0500, America the Beautiful
wrote:

:
:
:DevilsPGD wrote:
:
: In message Greg Procter
: wrote:
:
:
:mrtravel wrote:
:
:DevilsPGD wrote:
:
:
:It's a compulsory minimum. However, it's a minimum of total gross pay
:(averaged on a daily basis here, if I recall correctly).
:
:In other words, as long as the combination of hourly pay, plus tips,
:plus commission, plus bonuses, plus whatever else, is greater then
:minimum wage, it's all good.
:
:Additionally, if the tip is paid by credit card, the employer can dedcut
:that fee, as long as the total of wage and tips are at least as much as
:the minimum wage.
:
:What point is there in the customer attempting to reward excellent
:service when that tip will be handed to the employer and then the
:remainder to the entire waiter staff?
:
:
: You misunderstand. Credit card transactions have a percentage taken off
: by the merchant account provider.
:
: If you pay $20 on credit card, your receipt shows $20, but the merchant
: will get at most $19.85 or so (and probably less unless they're
: extremely high volume, low fraud)
:
: The wait staff will pay their share of merchant fees too.
:
: As far paying tips if the tip is split among the staff, the point is
: exactly the same as if it's not split amongst the staff.
:
:I always decline paying gratuities directly to the cashier - I don't
:trust that the wait staff will receive the tip. Plus, the amount they
:receive will be taxed. I always pay the tip in cash and personally to
:the waitress.

I do the same thing Chris. I never put the tip on the credit slip or
pay the cashier.

Old November 23rd, 2007, 02:06 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Sarah Czepiel

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 00:09:56 -0800, mrtravel wrote:

:Craig Welch wrote:
:
: Sarah Czepiel said:
:
:
:Most wait staff are not allowed to keep on their person money of any
:kind. It is often on the employment contract as a reason for
:immediate termination.
:
:
: Perhaps in your world. Not the case in mine.
:
:
:I had never heard of this until Sarah mentioned it. When I worked was a
:waiter many years ago, this was never an issue.

Depends on the business establishment. I've found many family style
restaurants do not allow wait staff to carry cash tips on the service
floor. There are a number of reasons why it's been the policy - too
much temptation if the server also cashes out the check, cleanliness-
separating food handling from cash handling, looks - having a wad of
cash or coins jingling in an apron , ect.. The addition of
posi-touch screens and order systems with computerized checks, has
apparently greatly helped to elevate employee pilfering, but the
tradition and old rules still carry over in many instances.

Old November 23rd, 2007, 02:07 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Sarah Czepiel

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 15:59:32 +1300, Greg Procter
wrote:

:Sarah Czepiel wrote:
:
: On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 08:18:02 +1300, Greg Procter
: wrote:
:
: :Sarah Czepiel wrote:
:
: :
: :I've been a "failure" since 3/3/1976 when I got knocked from my
: :motorcycle and had my leg crushed, in the sense that I've had jobs that
: :were well below my intellectual capabilities, in that I've had 16 major
: :operations and odd intervals (next one early next year) and that my
: :physical disability restricts me in doing many things I wish to do.
:
: There's really no excuse for you being a lying bitter foul mouthed old
: man.
:
:Very true - that's why I'm not.

You're not a lot of things, Procter but you most certainly *are* a
lying bitter foul mouthed old man.

Now why don't you name all the cities and locations you've visited in
the United States.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 02:08 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Sarah Czepiel

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 23:42:29 -0800, mrtravel wrote:

:Greg Procter wrote:
:
:
: Face it, on my travels in the USA I can stop at a restaurant, choose a
: meal and have no precise figure as to what the total bill will be. Ill
: be entering a contract without knowing what I am agreeing to and without
: knowing what I will receive.
:
:Rubbish.
:
:You determine what items you are going to buy based on the price of the
:item, the tax, and the tip you intend to leave.
:How do you feel a tip is part of a contract you are entering into?
:You are free to tip whatever you please.
:If you don't want to tip, don't tip. Nobody is holding a damn gun to
:your head, and you aren't going to be sued, because there is no damn
:contract. As far as the tax goes, I have already explained how, unlike
:NZ, US sales taxes are a bit more complicated and tax rates are
:localized. You can cross the street and be in a different sales tax rate
:area.

mrtravel......just fyi, Greg Procter has never set foot on US soil.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 02:09 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Sarah Czepiel

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 16:02:08 +1300, Greg Procter
wrote:

:Sarah Czepiel wrote:
:
: On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 08:05:23 +1300, Greg Procter
: wrote:
:
: :Sarah Czepiel wrote:
: :
: : On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 16:14:27 +1300, Greg Procter
: : wrote:
: :
: : :Hatunen wrote:
: : :
: : : On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 12:07:50 +1300, Greg Procter
: : : wrote:
: : :
: : : Hatunen wrote:
: : :
: : :
[...]
: Then provide an online link, Procter. Everyone else provides links.
:
:Hey Dopy Sarah, the internet didn't exist in 1984.

Are you attempting to blubber your usual excuse for not posting a link
ie: if something took place before the ' internet existed ' there is
no record of that event on the 'net?
Old November 23rd, 2007, 02:55 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Sarah Czepiel

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 08:42:44 -0500, America the Beautiful
wrote:

:
:
:Sarah Czepiel wrote:
:
: On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 06:06:28 GMT, Craig Welch
: wrote:
:
: :Sarah Czepiel said:
: :
: :Most wait staff are not allowed to keep on their person money of any
: :kind. It is often on the employment contract as a reason for
: :immediate termination.
: :
: :Perhaps in your world. Not the case in mine.
:
: Ok Craig. Thanks for your contribution.
:
:man, I ****ed up some serious food last night....!!!!!

Spill it, tell all !!!! LOL!!