Tipping in USA/Canada

Old November 12th, 2007, 10:59 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Robert Cohen

Default Tipping in USA/Canada

On Nov 9, 10:41 pm, Robert Cohen wrote:
On Nov 8, 8:13 pm, Hatunen wrote:

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 16:35:09 -0800, Robert Cohen

wrote:
i suppose one
u.s. dollar per customer at a non-pretentious dinner or at a now
very common buffet restaurant is reasonable, or
in other words, two dollars per couple, et cetera--

you can certainly eventually get sick of 'em, but ryan's and the
other buffet restaurants convey unlimited and many varities of food,
and i bet few places in the world are this way, ten dollars or less
person, unlimited goood food

at the fancier class restaurants, tip at least ten percent of the
total bill, and of course many or rmost people leave 15 percent or
twenty percent or more

you'll feel ripped-off at yuppie places like ruby fridays, so wendy et
al fast food and those amazing buffet places are best for budget
traveller

for clothes and chotskies go to the tangar shopping outlet places
and several other factory outlet places is where the people genrally
seem to be especially on weekends

the u.s.a. is pndeed complex, so a guide book wouldn't hurt

if one is not affluent, one goes to wendy's etal

You can't kid me. You're really Archie the Cockroach, aren't you?

* My typos & mispellings are intentional copyright traps *- Hide quoted text -

fyi and rationalization and in the vein of frommer's europe on five
dollars per day:

there is that declasse underside of the continent that the usual
tourist guidebooks probably ignore- Hide quoted text -

I dined inside a Wendy's earlier today, after buying 15 gallons of low
lead for $45 while cussing... at self etal

Junior cheeseburger deluxe w/ bacon (fat and calorie indulgent and do
hypothesize it'll compete well with Alta Charlie's Ruby Thursadys'
glorified junque in blind tests)

Cup of chile (imho, beats the chile at Chili's)

Baked potato (plain and w/o die-licious sour cream 'n butter)

Lite lemonade (low cal, apparently it has a little less sugar but who
really knows)

Side salad (no dressing) (b-t-w: salad in italy is yuk, and i dunno
exactly why, and rather quaintly they eat it at the end rather than
the start of meal)

The total order is $5 and some change (each item is either 99 cents or
$1)

Proletarian reading matter, USA TODAY, second to the last newspaper in
outside box took another 75 cents

They got the order right, because I didn't say,"junior cheesebuger
deluxe, hold the cheese," which is apparently the wendyesque way to
order a junior hamburger deluxe with lettuce and tomato (any
constructive suggestions from the jaded, bored directors here about
this quasi communication conundrum?)

The chili I pour on the potato ain't a bad combo, though messy

As is custom, I didn't leave that meager tip, though bussed/carried
the trash into the garbage-thing on the way out, which is customary
too, and by gosh there was space in it)

Old November 12th, 2007, 11:39 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Rog'

"Craig Welch" wrote:
And I'm suggesting that the genre itself is poor.

Then I'd suggest that you're a food-snob.
Just 'cuz a sandwich comes wrapped in foil or in a
basket, don't make it any worse than a similar
sandwich served on a plate.

Old November 13th, 2007, 05:56 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Louis Krupp

Robert Cohen wrote:
snip
Side salad (no dressing) (b-t-w: salad in italy is yuk, and i dunno
exactly why, and rather quaintly they eat it at the end rather than
the start of meal)

I believe the French do the same thing, and it's so the salad dressing
won't interfere with the wine.

Now you know.

Louis
Old November 13th, 2007, 06:38 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_3_]

Jeff wrote:

In the U.S., the restaurant reports as tips those paid on credit card
receipts (which tips can be easily computed). It is up to the employee to
estimate additional tips and show them on his/her tax return.

They aren't supposted to estimate them. IRS says they are supposed to
accurately report them.
Old November 13th, 2007, 06:41 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_3_]

Rog' wrote:

"Craig Welch" wrote:

And I'm suggesting that the genre itself is poor.

Then I'd suggest that you're a food-snob.
Just 'cuz a sandwich comes wrapped in foil or in a
basket, don't make it any worse than a similar
sandwich served on a plate.

No kidding. I had a really bad "traditional" fish and chips at a
restaurant in Limerick, Ireland recently. The stuff I remember from Long
John Silver's fast food restaurants in the US was better and a lot lower
in cost.

Old November 13th, 2007, 07:40 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Louis Krupp

Craig Welch wrote:
Louis Krupp said:

Robert Cohen wrote:
snip
Side salad (no dressing) (b-t-w: salad in italy is yuk, and i dunno
exactly why, and rather quaintly they eat it at the end rather than
the start of meal)

I believe the French do the same thing, and it's so the salad dressing
won't interfere with the wine.

Given that wine is drunk with the salad in any case, how does that
work?

Now you know.

No, I knew the answer before. And it hasn't changed.

I Googled for "salad" and "wine" and ... you're right. Some salad
dressings don't play well with wine, but others do. Shows you how much
I really know about food.

Louis
Old November 13th, 2007, 11:22 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Qanset

PTravel wrote:

"Qanset" wrote in message
u...
The wife and I are planning at trip to USA/Canada in the near future.
Is it true that the Yanks are really hung up on tipping, and that
FORGETTING to tip someone is courting disaster???

Like most tourists we will be traveling on a limited budget,this means
that anybody expecting free money from us will be advised to look
elsewhere.

With all due respect, I'd suggest you don't come.

Bit late for that, I was there 20 years ago. I saw a peurto rican
waitress get hostile because a British Visitor forgot to leave her a tip
on the table. Her conduct was absolutely disgraceful.

When I travel
internationally, I buy a guidebook and learn what particular practices
and customs are observed in the locality I'm visiting. I don't make
judgments about them, and definitely do not arrive with a, "we're
superior because we don't do things this way," attitude. I also don't
insist that locals observe my customs.

I don't think you will enjoy international travel,

Wrong again. Have travelled to Twenty countries in the last 30 years

and I certainly don't
think you'll enjoy the U.S. Everyone will probably be better off if you
just stay home.

A colleague of mine who honeymooned in Hawaii was told by a tour bus
operator, that he EXPECTED gratuities for his efforts, because his job
was poorly paid. What more can I say.???

I think you've said quite enough. Incidentally, being sheparded around
on a tour bus is probably the worst way to visit a foreign county.

Yes and No. Tours offer a tourist with no local knowledge to see
sights with guidance of a professional tour guide. They tend to lack
flexibility sometimes, but can be good value for others.

I'm going to cop a lot of flak on this subject, but never mind I have
and open mind on accepting advice on World Travel.

Advice given: change your attitude or stay home.

No way. My wife and I have strict moral guidelines for tipping. we
will NOT be bullied, coerced or manipulated in any way to part with our
hard earned money. From time to time we will offer tips at our own
discretion and we will be answereable to our own conscience and judgment
if we refuse.

I do understand that Americans depending on tips have been disadvantaged
by substandard work practices by their employers. Having been down that
road previously, I earnestly suggest they find a job where they DONT
rely on tips.

You and the rest of
the world will be a lot happier.

Always been happy wherever I go O/S. As the for the rest of the world
they wont even know who I am.
Old November 13th, 2007, 11:38 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Qanset

Dennis P. Harris wrote:
On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 21:29:14 +1100 in rec.travel.air, Qanset
wrote:

I'm going to cop a lot of flak on this subject, but never mind I have
and open mind on accepting advice on World Travel.

if you have an open mind, the usual gratuity for good service is
15 per cent of the tab. it does not apply in fast food places

where you take your own food to the table.

Thats exactly what I intend to do.

i understand it does not apply down under, but it does in the
americas and europe, so you should get used to it, or expect to
get poor service and the worst table in the place.

when in rome, do as the romans do, and budget for it.

Old November 13th, 2007, 11:39 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Qanset

DaveM wrote:
On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 21:29:14 +1100, Qanset wrote:

The wife and I are planning at trip to USA/Canada in the near future.
Is it true that the Yanks are really hung up on tipping, and that
FORGETTING to tip someone is courting disaster???

Like most tourists we will be traveling on a limited budget,this means
that anybody expecting free money from us will be advised to look elsewhere.

A colleague of mine who honeymooned in Hawaii was told by a tour bus
operator, that he EXPECTED gratuities for his efforts, because his job
was poorly paid. What more can I say.???

I'm going to cop a lot of flak on this subject, but never mind I have
and open mind on accepting advice on World Travel.

If you expect foreign visitors to Australia to respect your customs and
standards of behaviour (

We dont demand tips from them. That they can depend on.

whether you think they do or not), then you already
know the correct answer to this question.

DaveM