Breaking News: AA and UA to merge!

Old April 1st, 2004, 02:46 PM
Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC

Default Breaking News: AA and UA to merge!

mtravelkay wrote:

Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC wrote:

Naw, it's 04/1/04 UTC, but was as funny as a rubber crutch in a submarine...

teege

I don't get that one. What is meant by "rubber crutch"? We used to say
"As funny as screen doors on a submarine"

Man, that was too easy... as easy as shooting fish in a toolbox..

teege
Pilots track their lives by the number of hours in the air,
as if any other time isn't worth noting....
Michael Rarfit
Old April 1st, 2004, 03:17 PM
Rich Ahrens

Cub Driver wrote:

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:37:51 -0500, "Bob" wrote:

Just announced, American and United have agreed to merge by the end of the
year.

Surely an April Fool! United wouldn't demean its frequent-flyer
program by merging it with AA's, surely?

Wow. Nothing gets past you, does it?

|Rich Ahrens | Homepage: http://www.visi.com/~rma/ |
|-----------------------------------------------|
|"In a world full of people only some want to fly - isn't that crazy?" |
Old April 1st, 2004, 05:23 PM
running with scissors

nobody wrote in message ...
Bob wrote:

snip

And more importantly, will the livery be the no-paint from AA, or the real
livery from UA ? Or will the combined one go for the euro letter-hjead livery
(white fuselage with logo on tail and black text on fuselage). ?

raised typeface !
Old April 2nd, 2004, 12:51 AM
Scott M. Kozel

mtravelkay wrote:
Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC wrote:

Naw, it's 04/1/04 UTC, but was as funny as a rubber crutch in a submarine...

I don't get that one. What is meant by "rubber crutch"? We used to say
"As funny as screen doors on a submarine"

Man, that was too easy... as easy as shooting fish in a toolbox..

About as funny as a flash flood in an Alka-Seltzer factory.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 12:54 AM
Scott M. Kozel

Cub Driver warbird@mail wrote:

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:37:51 -0500, "Bob" wrote:

Just announced, American and United have agreed to merge by the end of the
year.

Surely an April Fool! United wouldn't demean its frequent-flyer
program by merging it with AA's, surely?

April Fool's joke indeed, although the original poster screwed up by
posting it too early (Eastern Standard Time produced the above date-time
stamp). Not April 1st in the U.S. or anywhere to the west.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 01:19 AM
David Brooks

"Scott M. Kozel" wrote in message
Cub Driver warbird@mail wrote:

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:37:51 -0500, "Bob" wrote:

Just announced, American and United have agreed to merge by the end of

the
year.

Surely an April Fool! United wouldn't demean its frequent-flyer
program by merging it with AA's, surely?

April Fool's joke indeed, although the original poster screwed up by
posting it too early (Eastern Standard Time produced the above date-time
stamp). Not April 1st in the U.S. or anywhere to the west.

You mean, when I played April Fool jokes back in England, I had to wait till
5am just in case some American heard about it and found it unfunny? That
time I was in New Zealand in spring (or "autumn" as they call it), I had to
wait until, like, April 3?

I think the OP was in Aus (check the crosspost). If he had waited until the
East Coasters allowed the joke, he would have been subject to the "not funny
after midday" rule at home. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, damned if
it wasn't funny anyway.

Have I let all the air out of this one now?

-- David Brooks

Old April 2nd, 2004, 01:24 AM
Malcolm Weir

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 06:06:28 -0500, Cub Driver
wrote:

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:37:51 -0500, "Bob" wrote:

Just announced, American and United have agreed to merge by the end of the
year.

Surely an April Fool! United wouldn't demean its frequent-flyer
program by merging it with AA's, surely?

Yeah, I mean, letting people upgrade cheap tickets with miles! Ick!

AA sucks.

Possibly, but UA sucks harder...

Malc.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 01:56 AM
Scott M. Kozel

"David Brooks" wrote:

"Scott M. Kozel" wrote:
[...]

No, it is still loaded with hot air.

This is Usenet, a worldwide medium. In North American and South
America, it was NOT April 1st, it was March 31st.

This just demonstrates that Aussies aren't good joke-tellers.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 03:48 AM
Pooh Bear

"Scott M. Kozel" wrote:

snip

This is Usenet, a worldwide medium. In North American and South
America, it was NOT April 1st, it was March 31st.

This just demonstrates that Aussies aren't good joke-tellers.

After bitching at me for a spelling *flame* I do hope you're joking above.

Being an aviation newsgroup - surely UTC should apply ?

Graham

Old April 2nd, 2004, 04:34 AM
Scott M. Kozel

Pooh Bear wrote:

"Scott M. Kozel" wrote:

This is Usenet, a worldwide medium. In North American and South
America, it was NOT April 1st, it was March 31st.

This just demonstrates that Aussies aren't good joke-tellers.

After bitching at me for a spelling *flame* I do hope you're joking above.

Being an aviation newsgroup - surely UTC should apply ?

The clocks in my house and on my computer are on local time, just like
virtually everywhere.

Posting an "April Fools Day" joke on March 31st is LAME, and the "joke"
was LAME to begin with.