"No Fly List" - is a net to supress voice???

Old September 4th, 2004, 06:16 AM
chilly

"Fly Guy" wrote in message ...
(snip) 1) Why does the FBI post their "most wanted" list in public? If
they
do that, why can't the no fly list be posted in public? Are those
people on the NFL *really wanted* on arrest warrents,

Merciful heavens!! Now football players aren't allowed to fly?

That said, the last time I was on a plane with a football team, the guy next
to me was using up more some of my seat. They should have charged him extra
or put me in first class.

;^)

(snip)

IF THE GOV'T REALLY WANTED TO GET THOSE NFL PEOPLE THEN THEIR NAMES
AND PICTURES WOULD BE POSTED IN EVERY AIRPORT, POSTOFFICE AND
BUS/TRAIN STATION. THAT'S WHAT YOU DO WHEN YOU WANT TO CAPTURE
SOMEONE. YOU TELL PEOPLE ABOUT IT.

Old September 4th, 2004, 06:16 AM
chilly

"Bud A Bing" wrote in message
om...

"Fly Guy" wrote in message ...

But its a no-win situation for law enforcement and airlines.

It's a no-win situation for the people on the list. The airlines
don't care if there's a list - or not.

Actually, the Airlines have the final say. The TSA warning is flashed on
the screen, and the airlines go from there. As a "Gold Member" on the
no-fly list, I only have a problem with Delta, AA & America West. The

rest
cancell the warning, & I'm on my way.

OK, fess up, why are you on the no-fly list?

Old September 4th, 2004, 06:26 AM
Kari Sinhalavan

"Matt" wrote

I Got Trapped in the Secret 'No Fly List' of the Transportation
Security Administration
by Sachi Sri Kantha

http://www.sangam.org/articles/view2...96 9d7bc24f9a

I admit to not knowing the answer to this question, but are foreign

airlines
somehow required to use the no-fly list? If JAL doesn't use it then I
assume the other airlines are using it voluntarily. In which case Mr.
Kantha's complaint should be solely with the airline. It sounds like
Alitalia went as far as to notify the local police of his presence.

Strange
story, at least he kept the America bashing to a minimum.

Also, is there an international no-fly list maintained by Interpol, or
similar agency. Or is the only no fly list maintained by the TSA?

Obviously the whole idea of a no-fly list needs some work to protect the
innocent. But its a no-win situation for law enforcement and airlines.

If
a known terrorist got on a plane and tried to blow it up and we didn't

have
a no-fly list, the same people that complain about the no-fly list would
complain that the airline let a known terrorist on the plane.

Matt, you didn't get the point. It is US that control TSA list. How
come Professor Kantha's name went into that list? Is it because of US
or Sri Lankan government using dirty tricks to put his name on the TSA
list?? I know Professor Kantha worked in US as well as Japan. At the
same time he is very vocal about Sri Lankan government genocide
against Tamils. I just want to know who maintain that list and who
else have influence to force US government to enter somebody's name on
false accusation. If his name is entered in TSA list then how come he
is a good citizen while he is in US?? Moron Bush is painting
everybody's arse with the same brush. It is like accusing Canada for
letting 9/11 attackers but all of them came to US straight from
obtaining visa from US embassy. If you can't do the job don't blame
others and put others in hardship like Professor Kantha. You are not
making friends.

You had me until the Bush bashing, which taints your argument. From what
you're saying, it is the Sri Lankan government that's probably responsible
for putting him on the list. And yet you don't place any blame on Alitalia
(for reporting him to the local police), Singapore Airlines (for not letting
him board), the local police in Italy for arresting him without cause, or
the SriLankan government for abusing the list for political reasons (if
that's what happened). Why do that when you can just blame Bush....nice
try.

I'm not defending the way the system currently works. As I said before, I
think it needs fixing. But, in general, I think it's a good idea to keep
track of when terrorists and suspected terrorists get on a plane.

Matt, typical stupid republican. TSA is maintained by US and asked other
nations to follow. If not they will be bared to fly to US. Only mighty
nations like Japan could resist. Now we will examine how US is to blame to
put Professor Kantha in TSA list. US is arming Sri Lanka with surplus
weapons under different program for last twenty years and cry like crock
about human rights. Even last month US special forces trained secretly Sri
Lankan forces to kill Tamils. If Sri Lankan government have asked US to put
somebody then US ought have checked thoroughly. They blindly put somebody
and cause untold hardship on them by asking other nations to follow. It is
controlled by US then they ought to be blamed and some extend Sri Lanka too.
If the gate keeper couldn't do the job then outsource to India. What a moron
Matt to understand a simple logic.

Matt

Old September 4th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Matt

"Kari Sinhalavan" wrote in message
om...

Matt, typical stupid republican.

Yawn.

TSA is maintained by US and asked other
nations to follow. If not they will be bared to fly to US. Only mighty
nations like Japan could resist. Now we will examine how US is to blame to
put Professor Kantha in TSA list. US is arming Sri Lanka with surplus
weapons under different program for last twenty years

Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't we have a democratic president for 8 years
before Bush.

and cry like crock
about human rights. Even last month US special forces trained secretly Sri
Lankan forces to kill Tamils. If Sri Lankan government have asked US to

put
somebody then US ought have checked thoroughly. They blindly put somebody
and cause untold hardship on them by asking other nations to follow. It is
controlled by US then they ought to be blamed and some extend Sri Lanka

too.
If the gate keeper couldn't do the job then outsource to India. What a

moron
Matt to understand a simple logic.

And you need to learn how to read. My last statement was that I'm not
defending the way the system currently works and that I think it needs
fixing. But I guess all the rage that entered your head when you figured
out I'm a Republican blurred your vision.

As far as Sri Lankan politics goes, I could care less so don't bother me
with the lecture.

Matt

Old September 4th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Matt

"Fly Guy" wrote in message ...
Matt wrote:
We have no way of knowing that. I'm sure that info would not be
released to the public.

This white house desperately needs to make some Bad Guys do the perp
walk on the evening news, with Ashcroft and Ridge doing a joint press
conference (praised be Bush). They will waste not a minute if the no
fly list actually nabs a real threat.

I think if the list actually stopped a hijacking then you're right, that
would be released. On the other hand a no-fly list can work in more subtle
ways, that might not be so obvious.

As someone else said, it's not the person that boards a plane, but
what they bring with them. So no, I wouldn't be upset if a
"terrorist" got on a plane.

Ok, let me make sure I understand what you're saying. You're on a flight
sitting in seat 15A, and you wouldn't mind if a terrorist sat down next to
you in 15B?? Is that really what you are saying?

1) there is nothing new in the pre-take-off announcements or messages
that tell people what is expected of them in the case of a threat to
the plane caused by a fellow passenger.

2) the cowards in the Whitehouse and FAA have never said publically
what airline passengers should do if a hijacking should ever happen
again.

First of all, what do you want them to recommend passengers do in the case
of a hijacking? Second of all, do you really need, or want, the government
to tell you what to do in that kind of situation? You can't train
passengers how to handle a hijacking situation with a 30 second presentation
from the flight attendants or a pamphlet stuffed in the seat back pocket.

And I'll tell you something else. If your name was on the no fly
list, I'd bet you wouldn't be singing the same praise for the list as
you are now.

Well, I haven't exactly been praising the list. I think it's flawed in its
current form, but agree with it in principal.

Greyhound instead of United? How do you feel that the gov't can keep
such a list and compel private corporations to discriminate against
those people (who could be US Citizens) without legal recourse?

I don't think that. Which is why I do have a problem with the way the list
is currently maintained.

What's next - A "no credit-card list" ? A "no mortgage list" ?

Uhhh.....they already have those lists. Try to get a mortgage or credit
card with bad credit rating.

Matt