Leaving for Japan in 2 weeks, where do I go!!!

Old September 22nd, 2003, 04:47 PM
janeane

Default Leaving for Japan in 2 weeks, where do I go!!!

OK, I'll be heading out with my 2 boys (11 & 12), have one week to
travel. Have NO plans, but do have a JR Rail Pass.

Only restrictions are a limited budget, but want to splurge for a great
meal and stay at a 'typical' Inn somewhere.

We enjoy; smaller towns, beautiful views, fish markets, beaches.

We do not enjoy; overdose of castles/shrines... but do want to visit
some. Just not so many that their eyes will glaze over.

Suggestions are so welcome!!!!

Old September 23rd, 2003, 03:06 AM
John W.

janeane wrote:
OK, I'll be heading out with my 2 boys (11 & 12), have one week to
travel. Have NO plans, but do have a JR Rail Pass.

Only restrictions are a limited budget, but want to splurge for a great
meal and stay at a 'typical' Inn somewhere.

We enjoy; smaller towns, beautiful views, fish markets, beaches.

We do not enjoy; overdose of castles/shrines... but do want to visit
some. Just not so many that their eyes will glaze over.

Suggestions are so welcome!!!!

I suggest Himeji as a place to at the very least visit, if not base out
of. I say this because the castle has a gorgeous park with a huge play
structure that is pretty dang fun. As you walk towards the castle, it's
directly behind the main building; you can walk either left or right and
follow the moat around the walls. There's also one of the most pathetic
zoos I've ever seen, but it's cheap and you can really see the animals
up close.

You might also consider Kobe. If you like hiking at all, there's a nice
short hike that starts behind the Shinkansen station; if it interests
you, let me know and I'll email you the details (or you can search here;
I've posted them before).

Kyoto is probably a must-see as well. You didn't say where you're flying
into/out of, though.

Good luck!

John W.

Old September 23rd, 2003, 04:06 AM
Gerry Scott-Moore

In article , janeane
wrote:

Only restrictions are a limited budget, but want to splurge for a great
meal and stay at a 'typical' Inn somewhere.

Spend a few hours and spot-read the Fodor book finding out where you
might like to go. They have great "what to see if you only have a week"
lists and such.

We enjoy; smaller towns, beautiful views, fish markets, beaches.

The Okayama tourist centers (or some such), have lodges where you can
stay for a couple of days and be in tourist-absent areas. Homey places
and "real life" Japanese communities. We stayed at Chiraishi island
and would like to try others.

Takayama has some of the best "old town" touches both in town and
exhibits. Kids would dig it I think. It's a half-day getting there,
but it's worth it.

Matsui has some of the same old-town charm and is very easily
navigated. It's a long shlep from anywhere to get to Matuse, though.
The bulk of a day.

Yudanaka which is mostly a spa-town but a pretty quick run out of
Tokyo. It has the famed snow monkey parks, but there is some great
hiking in those areas.

There are small-town-ish areas around urban centers if you're willing
to take the time to chase them down; outside Kyoto, between Osaka and
Kobe. If you don't speak the language you can still go to the small
towns but you'll have to work harder to communicate.

We do not enjoy; overdose of castles/shrines... but do want to visit
some. Just not so many that their eyes will glaze over.

Himeji is the castle to see. And plan for more time than you figured.
For Shrines, gardens, imperial homes, etc. it's Kyoto. Easy to burn out
on too. I torch one full day every time I go and love it. Read Fodor
and Lonely Planet and see which sound the most interesting and then
roll the dice.

--
///---