Traveling to China with kids

Old January 7th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , Amoeba says...
Now, two passports are commonly used here and the nationalities printed on
them are different. When we use BN(O) passports, the nationality is
"British National (Overseas)". When we use the SAR passport, our
nationality is "Chinese". Many of us have two passports.

With the BNO passport are you allowed to settle down in the EU and work?
I know that you are not allowed to do that in the UK, but what about the
EU ?
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,
Prague, Budapest and Portugal
Old January 7th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Amoeba

yeah, there are much more to see other than the skyscrapers.
http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/...ck/index.jhtml

If you visit Ocean Park, kids can try many rides and see some animals such
as dolphins, pandas, seals, parrorts, etc. Ofcourse, i can't deny that the
Ocean Park is smaller than any theme park in the US or other western
countries. http://www.oceanpark.com.hk/f_index.html

For the Disneyland Hong Kong, it will open on 12 Sept 2005 (HK Time). The
entrance fee is the cheapest fee among all other Disneyland all over the
world, but I've heard there are only 3 main parts there. I'm not very sure
about this, btw.

There are many country parks in Hong Kong. Visitors can go barbecue in
autum/winter time and even go hiking. Some westerners (I guess some of them
are inhabitants as they go hiking with their dogs) go hiking in HK Island
and Lamma Island. http://www.afcd.gov.hk/parks/parks_e.htm Or they can go
to the Hong Kong Park, Zoological and Bontanial Gardens, etc.

There are really many beaches in HK.
http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/beach/en/index.php If you go to Lamma Island, you
can go hiking and then reach a beach. If you continues, you can reach the
other part of the island and had seafood there. Stanley is also a nice
place for tourists as it has a market, a beach, restaurants, pubs and
barbecue sites.

Space museum is not a big museum but it is a good place to visit. Kids can
watch the omnimax show (like IMAX in western countries? Movies are
displayed on the sperical ceiling) there.
http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/CE/Museum/Space/e_index.htm If you visit
www.lcsd.gov.hk, you can find much more activities that may be suitable for
kids.

"Alfred Molon" ???
???...
In article , Bob Myers says...

tour. Of the two, just for a place to start, I would have to say
that Hong Kong would probably be of more interest to the
kids than Shanghai, unless the kids are unusually (for their
ages) interested in seeing places or items of cultural or historical
interest.

I would avoid Hong Kong, because it's basically a very crowded place
full of skyscrapers with a very high population density (people, people
everywhere. Not a place where to relax with kids. It's a very urban
area, with not so many attractions for children.

Old January 7th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Amoeba

No, we are not allowed to settle down and work in the UK and the EU.

"Alfred Molon" ???
???...

Old January 7th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Amoeba

If you visit Beijing, it's a "must" to visit the Great Wall and Forbidden
City.

I never been to Beijing or Shanghai. In my impression, they are places for
sightseeings because they have so many impressive historical buildings.
They are also modern and busy cities. Maybe there are much more than I can
imagine because I am not familiar with these cities. If i have a chance,
I'd love to visit them.

For cities in Guangdong (e.g. HK, Macau, Zhuhai, etc.), it's more like a
city for having various fun. Macau and HK have some historical buildings
reflecting the past time of being colonies but it's not as big and
impressive as those buildings in Beijing and Shanghai.

Other places in China has great nature.

"PeterL" ¦b¶l¥ó ¤¤
¼¶¼g...

Yes you do want to plan your trip around specific sites. Imagine going to
China and not seeing the Great Wall or the Forbidden City or Xian. It's
like going to NYC and not visiting the Lady. Your kids will go back to
school and when asked what did you see in China, give a blank look.

"Well,
we didn't see anything in particular. We just had a good overall
experience."

-dm

Old January 7th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , Amoeba says...
No, we are not allowed to settle down and work in the UK and the EU.

So essentially this BNO passport is useless, because it doesn't grant
you any rights.

Old January 8th, 2005, 01:16 AM
PeterL

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In article , Amoeba says...
No, we are not allowed to settle down and work in the UK and the EU.

So essentially this BNO passport is useless, because it doesn't grant
you any rights.

You are not kidding. It's a gift from the great colonial father England, a
totally useless gift.