How can I defend myself against reclining airplane seats?

Old July 2nd, 2005, 08:39 PM
Dave Proctor

On 2 Jul 2005 12:12:06 -0700, "One Way Ticket"
wrote:

The person in front of you has paid for a seat that reclines and has
every right to recline at his own choice.

Don't like it?

Fly first class.

Don't fly. snip

I disagree. Consider that an airline web site reports that they have a
seat pitch of some specific length, say 32" or 34" (80 / 85 cm). Which
is reduced to ~11" (29cm) after the passenger seated in front launches
into commando recline mode. The passenger now acquires ~20" (50cm) of
additional seat pitch. At my expense.

Bull**** - you obvously have absolutely NO idea as to what "seat
pitch" is.

It is NOT the amount of room available. It is a measure of the
distance between a point - ANY point on one seat and the identical
point on the seat behind it.

So a 31" pitch on a slimline seat can mean more room than a 32" pitch
on a thick seat, since the seat itself takes up more of the available
room.

"seat pitch" has absolutely no relationship to space available.

Dave

=====

There are 10 types of people - those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 09:33 PM
spamfree

The person in front of you has paid for a seat that reclines and
has every right to recline at his own choice.

Obviously cookie is one of those who reclines immediately after
the seat belt sign is turned off. Here's another problem with cookie
and his ilk. If the recliner is sitting in the aisle seat of a 3-seat row,
everyone in the row behind, especially the window-seater, has a
very difficult time exiting the row. The window-seater almost has
to sit in the seat directly behind the recliner to get around the seat.
But therein lies the solution. If everyone in that row grabs the back
of the recliner's seat and shakes the seat up and down when they
exit, or just when they want to screw with the recliner, the recliner
might just get the hint. If the recliner complains, the people should
simply explain that the recliner's selfish actions force them to grab
hold of the seat back. Kicking the seat might be fun, too.

Pete

Old July 2nd, 2005, 11:32 PM
DaveM

On 1 Jul 2005 23:54:52 -0700, "Tchiowa" wrote:

On 1 Jul 2005 07:31:00 -0700, "Tchiowa" wrote:

Makes you wonder why they put trays and tv screens in the seat backs if
they're not meant to be used, doesn't it?

???? The trays tables are generally hinged at the bottom so the recline
doesn't affect them.

I guess you've never had a drink on a tray where the seat's been reclined
without warning, have you?

The TVs are also generally on a pivot so that they
can be adjusted for the recline. I've never seen one where the table
and tv screen couldn't be used because the person in front was
reclining.

I've never seen one where it could - and that includes new economy on bmi
where there's a lot of legroom and seat reclining isn't otherwise a problem.
But, as another poster pointed out, that's probably due to our height
difference.

DaveM
Old July 2nd, 2005, 11:34 PM
Geoff Glave

Airlines have not kept up with the change in passenger loads, and
passengers lacking manners are now exploiting their seat recline.

I agree. The one *small* exception is Air Canada's new-ish Airbus aircraft.
On these planes, when an invidual reclines the "seat" slides forwards to
provide the recline. In effect, the passenger who is reclining robs legroom
from themselves, not the seat in behind them. It will probably be MANY
years before these types of seats are installed everywhere, but it's a good
baby first step.

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada

Old July 2nd, 2005, 11:36 PM
DaveM

On 2 Jul 2005 09:06:03 -0700, "SP Cook" wrote:

Read a book about crossing the Atlantic on a ship, c.1760, or the
western plains in a wagon, c. 1860, and get more realistic about
yourself.

I'm missing something here. In what way did passengers on those transports
discomfort their fellow passengers and how did those affected deal with it?

Or were you pointing out that they didn't have reclining seats in those
days, so there wasn't a problem? That would be an applicable solution, I
guess.

DaveM
Old July 2nd, 2005, 11:43 PM
DaveM

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 05:39:14 +1000, Dave Proctor
wrote:

Bull**** - you obvously have absolutely NO idea as to what "seat
pitch" is.

It is NOT the amount of room available. It is a measure of the
distance between a point - ANY point on one seat and the identical
point on the seat behind it.

So a 31" pitch on a slimline seat can mean more room than a 32" pitch
on a thick seat, since the seat itself takes up more of the available
room.

"seat pitch" has absolutely no relationship to space available.

"Absolutely no relationship to space available" Really?

http://www.uk-air.net/seatpitch.htm

Darn well looks like it does to me - quite apart from the fact that I can
tell the difference when I fly.

DaveM
Old July 2nd, 2005, 11:45 PM
DaveM

On 2 Jul 2005 10:20:42 -0700, "Tchiowa" wrote:

SP Cook wrote:
Fly Guy wrote:
What's the matter with you people?

---- http://www.kneedefender.com/

Anybody caught with such a devise on a plane should be charge have it
confiscated and be placed on the TSA strip search list for life.

Besides being a dumb idea it is also a safety hazard.

And being unable to exit a row due to a reclined seat isn't?

DaveM
Old July 3rd, 2005, 02:12 AM
Garner Miller

In article , DaveM
wrote:

Besides being a dumb idea it is also a safety hazard.

And being unable to exit a row due to a reclined seat isn't?

That's why seatbacks have to be up for takeoff and landing, for exactly
that reason.

--
Garner R. Miller
Clifton Park, NY =USA=
Old July 3rd, 2005, 02:34 AM
PTRAVEL

SP Cook wrote:
Fly Guy wrote:
What's the matter with you people?

---- http://www.kneedefender.com/

Anybody caught with such a devise on a plane should be charge have it
confiscated and be placed on the TSA strip search list for life.

Besides being a dumb idea it is also a safety hazard.

And being unable to exit a row due to a reclined seat isn't?

Seats in front of exit rows usually can't recline -- the airline fixes them
in position.

DaveM

Old July 3rd, 2005, 07:49 AM
-L.

One Way Ticket wrote:
Exactly. I have spent far too many flights with a seat pitch reduced
to ~11 inches because the person in front decided they had the right to
go commando recline.

It's particularly bad if the reclinee is obese. We recently had to
obese individuals in front of us - they waited until I got up to change
the baby and then when we returned, the seats were reclined. Luckily
we had three seats so we could put DH (who is tall and with big
shoulders) in the saet without a reclinee in front, but the flight was
bloody miserable.

-L.