Advice re hotels in BKK please...

Old June 15th, 2004, 06:28 AM
Sjoerd

Default Advice re hotels in BKK please...

"U RIKA kaka" schreef in bericht

Does spotlessly clean mean not roachy?

If "not roachy" means that there are no cockroaches, yes, it also means it
is "not roachy".

Sjoerd

Old June 15th, 2004, 08:59 AM
martin

"Sjoerd" schreef in bericht

"U RIKA kaka" schreef in bericht

Does spotlessly clean mean not roachy?

If "not roachy" means that there are no cockroaches, yes, it also means

it
is "not roachy".

Sjoerd

will there be a time that you give ADVICE (i.e. a name) sjoerd?

by now we all know that in your opinion a room in a "good" hotel will cost
not more than 1000 baht per night

i agree with tchiowa that a room in a "good" will cost a lot more and a
luxury hotel (very) much more than 1000 baht per night

the question "advice re hotels in BKK" is hard to answer, which area in BKK
for example does one want to stay?

martin

Old June 15th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Nisse PowerMan

Sjoerd wrote:

"U RIKA kaka" schreef in bericht

Does spotlessly clean mean not roachy?

If "not roachy" means that there are no cockroaches, yes, it also means it
is "not roachy".

Sjoerd

I stayed in Hyatt Regency, Delhi during 6 months in 1996.

In their Luxuary 5 Star+ hotel, Mice were running around in the bar.

I did not see any cockroaches though.

I wonder if this hotel would pass as a typical tourist hotel, or would
it be rated above or below average?

/Anders

--
Remove the obvious part before replying by mail please!

Old June 15th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Tchiowa

"Sjoerd" wrote in message ...
"Tchiowa" schreef in bericht
om...
Tourists who
are relatively well off or who have someone else (like their boss)
paying for the hotel will insist on the JW Marriott.

I am in the top 2% income earners in my country, which is probably within
the top 5% in the USA, so I guess I qualify for being "relatively well off".

So, you claim to make around $200,000 US a year? Somehow I doubt that,
but if you do, good for you.

I am perfectly happy in my 980 baht hotel in Bangkok and wouldn't even think
about spending more for the same quality in a JW Marriott or other
over-priced hotel.

Your opinion, your right. But don't try to claim that most tourists
feel the same way. Simply isn't true.

Again, my BKK hotel is spotlessly clean, has comfortable beds, nice
bathroom, nice carpeting, TV with more channels than I have at home (I have
32 at home), A/C works fine and doesn't make much noise, there is a small
table, a desk and 3 chairs in the room, there is a safe in the room, the
staff are friendly and helpful, breakfast is very reasonable, the location
of the hotel is central and there are several shops, restaurants, Internet
cafes around the corner.

And the only reason you won't post the name of the hotel is that you
know it doesn't actually meet that criteria.
Old June 15th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Tchiowa

"Sjoerd" wrote in message ...
"Tchiowa" schreef in bericht
om...

Now we're getting to the actual truth, aren't we? You refer to the
differences that are "important" which means, of course, "important
*TO YOU*". All I'm saying and all I've ever said about this topic is
that doesn't reflect what the average tourist thinks.

OK, please list the facilities, amenities and other qualities of a hotel
that an "average tourist" (in your opinion) requires.

As I said before, it's not a laundry list but rather a quality list.

The "average tourists" makes an above average income,
travels with his family, books his tours from home with a travel
agent, considers comfort part of what he wants to do.

That means the average tourist makes around $50-75,000 US a year and
isn't interested in a $20 a night hotel that is way below his normal
standard of living.

Wow. You put a lot of research into the "average tourist" if such an animal
actually exists...... I make (much) more than the amount you gave us, and I
am perfectly happy in a USD 20 hotel. (in Bangkok)

Not really. I know what the average American earns and it's simply a
matter of allowing a bit plus/minus to define "the middle". European,
Asian and Aussies make a bit less on average, but it's still the
range.

I know several hotels that cost around 1,000 / baht / night that are
perfectly OK for an "average tourist". They are better than many of the

100
euro hotels in Europe and USD 100 hotels in the US (and even USD 200 in

New
York City)

Funny that you can't seem to name even one of those hotels.

I can but I won't for reasons given to you earlier. Miguel gave you the name
of one.

Yes he did. And it doesn't even compare with the standard I discussed
or the standard you are claiming. And the reasons you gave (not
wanting to flood the hotel with tourists are absurd). Do you really
think that posting the name of a hotel on USENET would cause that?????
Old June 15th, 2004, 02:03 PM
U RIKA kaka

Nisse PowerMan wrote:

Sjoerd wrote:

"U RIKA kaka" schreef in bericht
.. .

Does spotlessly clean mean not roachy?

If "not roachy" means that there are no cockroaches, yes, it also means it
is "not roachy".

Sjoerd

I stayed in Hyatt Regency, Delhi during 6 months in 1996.

In their Luxuary 5 Star+ hotel, Mice were running around in the bar.

I did not see any cockroaches though.

I wonder if this hotel would pass as a typical tourist hotel, or would
it be rated above or below average?

/Anders

At least they weren't in your room. Although to really know, you need
an infrared pee detector. I never think I'm really alone.
Old June 15th, 2004, 02:08 PM
U RIKA kaka

Tchiowa wrote:

Yes he did. And it doesn't even compare with the standard I discussed
or the standard you are claiming. And the reasons you gave (not
wanting to flood the hotel with tourists are absurd). Do you really
think that posting the name of a hotel on USENET would cause that?????

I would be tempted to rely on the advice here.
Old June 15th, 2004, 02:17 PM
U RIKA kaka

U RIKA kaka wrote:

Tchiowa wrote:

Yes he did. And it doesn't even compare with the standard I discussed
or the standard you are claiming. And the reasons you gave (not
wanting to flood the hotel with tourists are absurd). Do you really
think that posting the name of a hotel on USENET would cause that?????

I would be tempted to rely on the advice here.

but I wouldn't because I would think it would be crowded once it was
posted here.
Old June 15th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Sjoerd

"Tchiowa" schreef in bericht
om...

And the only reason you won't post the name of the hotel is that you
know it doesn't actually meet that criteria.

And you are an arsehole and/or you can't read and/or you have Alzheimer. I
ALREADY ****ING TOLD YOU THAT I WON'T WANT THAT HOTEL TO BECOME TOO POPULAR,
as it is often fully booked already.

Sjoerd