How much (£) should i budget for this trip?

Old August 28th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Frank Slootweg

Jan wrote:
[much deleted]
Hi Frank I'm not technically minded. The Op post appeared on my computer
complete with "pound" signs.
Which is what I said in my reply where indeed ,it does read on my computer
as "pounds". However on your reply, my pound sign reads as question
marks.

As your postings also miss the proper encoding and MIME headers, you
may want to read the instructions I posted earlier today for correcting
this problem in Outlook Express.
Old August 28th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Des Small

"Rubber Ducky" writes:

OK, i've kinda priced it up and this is what i've come up with:

UK (Birmingham) - GERMANY (Munich)
BHX - MUC, Flight cost £400)

It's significantly less than that at the moment: I just booked it for
about 190 GBP direct with Lufthansa. It was 40 GBP cheaper with KLM
via Schipol, but it was also twice as long and it involved KLM which
frankly I can live without.

Where are you getting your prices? I used Expedia, which may be an
improvement on your source.

Des
Old August 28th, 2005, 03:21 PM

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 11:04:50 GMT, "Rubber Ducky"
wrote:

OK, i've kinda priced it up and this is what i've come up with:

UK (Birmingham) - GERMANY (Munich)
BHX - MUC, Flight cost £400)

Don't know about the other fares, but the one above from Birmingham to
Munich....... 400GBP ??? Who's ripping you off for that fare ??

Just 3 years back we were over in the UK and flew from London to Hahn
just out from Frankfurt in Gemany and the fare with Ryan air was on
special 5GBP to get there and 11GBP to get back. To these figure we
had to add the airport taxes etc.

GERMANY (Munich) - POLAND (Auswitch, Warsaw)
(Overland, estimate £200)

POLAND (Auswitch, Warsaw) - RUSSIA (St. Petersburg, Moscow)
(Overland, estimate £200)

RUSSIA (St. Petersburg, Moscow) - INDIA (Delhi, Japiur)
(SVO - DEL, Flight cost ~£450)

INDIA (Delhi, Japiur) - THAILAND (Bangkok)
(DEL - BKK, Flight cost ~£275)

THAILAND (Bangkok) - HONG KONG
(BKK - HKG, Flight cost ~£175)

HONG KONG - CHINA (Bejing)
(HKG - PEK, Flight cost ~£200)

CHINA (Bejing) - AUSTRALIA (Melbourne)
(PEK - MEL, Flight cost ~£1000, HKG - MEL, Flight cost ~£800)

AUSTRALIA (Melbourne) - FIJI (Suva)
(MEL - SUV, Flight cost ~£850)

FIJI (Suva) - NEW ZEALAND (Auckland, Wellington)
(SUV - AUK, Flight cost ~£300)

(MEL - AUK, Flight cost ~£115, AUK - SUV, Flight cost ~£425)

NEW ZEALAND (Auckland, Wellington) - CHILE (Santiago)
(AUK - SCL, Flight cost ~£650)

CHILE (Santiago) - PERU (Lima)
(Overland, estimate £200)

PERU (Lima) - SOUTH AFRICA (Cape Town)
(LIM - CPT, Flight cost ~£2,800)

SOUTH AFRICA (Cape Town) - EGYPT (Cairo)
(Overland, estimate £400)

EGYPT (Cairo)- UK (Birmingham)
(CAI - BHX, Flight cost ~£500)

TOTAL ~£8,800 (inc. Bejing & Suva)
TOTAL ~£6,800 (exc. Bejing & Suva)

That flight from Lima to Cape town is the killer!!!!

Old August 28th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Rubber Ducky

"Des Small" wrote in message
"Rubber Ducky" writes:

OK, i've kinda priced it up and this is what i've come up with:

UK (Birmingham) - GERMANY (Munich)
BHX - MUC, Flight cost £400)

It's significantly less than that at the moment: I just booked it for
about 190 GBP direct with Lufthansa. It was 40 GBP cheaper with KLM
via Schipol, but it was also twice as long and it involved KLM which
frankly I can live without.

Where are you getting your prices? I used Expedia, which may be an
improvement on your source.

Yeah my prices are from expedia but i've purposefully over-estimated. I can
fine tune these details further down the road.

Also is it true that in certain sceanios return tickets are cheaper than
one-way? Could there be the oppurtunity for profit here - selling the
return leg which I would not use?

RD
(MIME now fixed)

Old August 28th, 2005, 03:24 PM

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 10:03:34 +1000, "Scotty"
wrote:

not really wrote in message
.. .

AUZ$ would suggest to me that we have too many Kiwis here and they are
trying to take over "Our" dollar

Too late dude, already done (just very secretely and not many people know
it. 400,000 Kiwis cant all be wrong eh)

Probably more here than backl home in Kiwiland....
Old August 28th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Iceman

Where did you price these flights? It should be much cheaper than
that. The airlines' own websites usually give very expensive prices,
and sites like Expedia, Travelocity, etc. are also usually very
expensive for intercontinental flights. Your best option is to use a
company like airtreks.com or trailfinders.co.uk that specializes in
round-the-world airfares.

"PERU (Lima) - SOUTH AFRICA (Cape Town)
(LIM - CPT, Flight cost ~=A32,800)"

Try Lima - Buenos Aires, and then Buenos Aires - Cape Town
separately.

"UK (Birmingham) - GERMANY (Munich)
BHX - MUC, Flight cost =A3400) "

Use Air Berlin or Ryanair or Easyjet to get from London to Munich
cheaply.

The flights from Delhi to Bangkok, Bangkok to Hong Kong, and Hong Kong
to Beijing will all be much cheaper if you buy them in the departure
city rather than in advance.

"SOUTH AFRICA (Cape Town) - EGYPT (Cairo)
(Overland, estimate =A3400)"

Do you have any idea what is involved in going through Sudan, Ethiopia,
northern Kenya, and Mozambique overland?

Old August 28th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Iceman

"Also is it true that in certain sceanios return tickets are cheaper
than
one-way?"

Yes. If you simply walk up to an airport counter with a wad of 50 quid
notes and ask for a ticket on the next flight to Kathmandu, a return
ticket would be more expensive than a one-way ticket. But when you buy
tickets in advance from an agent, return tickets are often deeply
discounted, while one-way tickets are almost never discounted. There
are some cheap one-way tickets on "low-cost airlines", but those
airlines only fly within one country or within one region (e.g. Europe,
Southeast Asia), not between regions.

"Could there be the oppurtunity for profit here - selling the return
leg which I would not use?"

No - it would have your name on it, so another person wouldn't be
allowed to use it. If someone tries to sell you an unused airline
ticket it is almost always a scam.

Old August 28th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Jan

Frank Slootweg wrote:
Jan wrote:
[much deleted]
Hi Frank I'm not technically minded. The Op post appeared on my
computer complete with "pound" signs.
Which is what I said in my reply where indeed ,it does read on my
computer as "pounds". However on your reply, my pound sign reads
as question marks.

As your postings also miss the proper encoding and MIME headers, you
may want to read the instructions I posted earlier today for
correcting this problem in Outlook Express.

What this below???

No, that's the whole point, it did not 'show' pounds. It 'showed' a
non-ASCII character, hex A3. Because it was not encoded (as it should
have been), its interpretation was undefined. If ones character set
was set to ISO 8859/1, it would come out as a pound symbol, but it's
rather unrealistic to expect such a setting, especially when posting to
international groups, like the OP did.

In short: The OP had:

Subject: How much (£) should i budget for this trip?

^ unencoded hex A3 character

but it should have had:

Subject:
=?iso-8859-1?q?_How_much_(=A3)_should_i_budget_for_this_tr ip=3F?=

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^

as some of the responses had. And it should have had:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

as some of the responses had, but it didn't.

It's kind of funny/sad when people post a posting like this, i.e.
about a trip to many other countries, and expect people to adapt to
your currency, while you do not adapt to other character sets.

I can't make head nor tail of the above !!! And I'm not fiddling with
things I don't understand. :-)
Which western countries computers don't understand GBP signs??? BTW I
usually put GBP and not the pound sign,

Jan

Old August 28th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Jan

Frank Slootweg wrote:
Rubber Ducky wrote:

[more wouldbe-pound characters without the required MIME headers]

See if this helps (in Outlook Express):

Tools - Options... - Send tab - News Sending Format - Plain Text
Settings. I *think* you have "Message format" set to "Uuencode". If
so, set it to "MIME", set "Encode text using:" to "None" and untic
(i.e. do *not* set) the "Allow 8-bit characters in headers" option.

If this works, then set your "Mail Sending Format" the same.

You're welcome! :-)

Just seen this ....so I'm testing

££££££££££££££

Did that work? :-)

Jan

Old August 28th, 2005, 03:59 PM

On 28 Aug 2005 07:36:17 -0700, "Iceman" wrote:

Where did you price these flights? It should be much cheaper than
that. The airlines' own websites usually give very expensive prices,
and sites like Expedia, Travelocity, etc. are also usually very
expensive for intercontinental flights. Your best option is to use a
company like airtreks.com or trailfinders.co.uk that specializes in
round-the-world airfares.

"PERU (Lima) - SOUTH AFRICA (Cape Town)
(LIM - CPT, Flight cost ~£2,800)"

Try Lima - Buenos Aires, and then Buenos Aires - Cape Town
separately.

"UK (Birmingham) - GERMANY (Munich)
BHX - MUC, Flight cost £400) "

Use Air Berlin or Ryanair or Easyjet to get from London to Munich
cheaply.

Yeah, just after my previous post, I went and checked Ryan air's
website, and although the current special dates may not suit. as an
example they are currently offering say London (Stansted) to Frankfurt
(Hahn) for 0.05GBP plus taxes.

In fact they are currently offering this same fare structure to many
airports in Europe.