Bangkok

Old November 28th, 2005, 06:58 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

Default Bangkok

"Is it or is it not true that Khao San Road is "the place to go" for
foreigners to score drugs?"

Absolutely not. Talk about the most likely place in Bangkok to find
out that your dealer is really an undercover cop. Only a complete
idiot would try to buy on the KSR. Since a lot of the backpackers
there are either starting or ending their trips, even total stoners are
unlikely to have anything on them - they either just arrived and
haven't bought yet or they have already gotten rid of their stash.

Old November 28th, 2005, 07:55 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message

"Tchiowa" kirjoitti
glegroups.com...

How can it be any kind of fraud? At weekends there are literally
hundreds of perfectly normal Thai people in some of the bars in KSR.

No there aren't. And that's the point. There are hundreds of Thai, yes.
But it is an insult to the vast majority of Thai who think that Khao
San Road is a sewer to claim that they have anything in common with
most of the Thai that frequent Khao San Road.

You possibly don't know the opinion of the majority. Actually I am
inclined to believe such an opinion does NOT exists. Why should Thais be
concerned on the street at all. You better pick up those marbles which
sprung out from your head. You should stay in s.c.thai. Your friends are
there.

*****Tchiowa has long worn out his welcome and credibility on SCT, that why
he's infesting himself over here.

I'm happy to see that the folks here have summed him up for the fraud he is
over here.

;-)

Old November 28th, 2005, 08:02 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

"Tchiowa" wrote in message
oups.com...
It hasn't changed. I live in Bangkok.

***** Oh dear......... Recently you have been 'boasting' around the traps
that you are finally 'moving' to Bangkok to live and work.

Your only connections with the Thai people Titchy, has been with hotel staff
at the Marriott, taxi drivers that you overpay to ferry you to Chiayaphum,
and the poor GoGo girls that you like to bulk barfine and slobber over at
the sleezy bars that you love to visit.

Of the real Thailand you know absolutely nothing, never have and never will.

;-)

Old November 29th, 2005, 05:28 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article .com,
says...

Khao San Road's primary drawing card is that it is cheap. It is for
those people who can't afford a more conventional place. It is loaded
with $2 and $3 per night guest houses.

So what you said was that unless you go to the poor part of Bangkok the
Thai you associate with won't be "ordinary Thai".

Cheapness is not the key selling point of KSR.

Of course it is. It's a place you can get cheap guest houses. It's
"backpacker heaven". That's its primary draw.

It's full of travel agencies, restaurants catering to westerners, hotels, internet cafes,

You just described practically every place in Bangkok. There are a
dozen or more tourist areas with the same facilities. And usually
dramatically better quality.

fellow travellers etc.

And that's the point. Backpackers like to call themselves "travellers".
"Traveller" is a code word for "backpackers on the cheap". Why do you
pretend that's not what Khao San Road is about?

It's an ideal base for organising trips, getting
visas, exchanging ideas with other travellers. Plus it's centrally
located, in walking distance of the Grand Palace and other attractions

How can it be any kind of fraud? At weekends there are literally
hundreds of perfectly normal Thai people in some of the bars in KSR.

No there aren't.

And how would you know if you haven't been there for years ?

Because I have a Thai family, work with a lot of Thai people, all of
whom are perfectly normal Thai and none of whom would be caught dead in
Khao San Road.

Is it or is it not true that Khao San Road is "the place to go" for
foreigners to score drugs?

I have never seen anybody selling drugs in KSR, nor have I been offered
drugs in KSR.

They don't have kiosks. ;-) But ask any of your fellow "travellers"
while in Khao San Road and it will take you less than 5 minutes to have
the dealers pointed out to you. It's kind of like looking for
prostitutes in Patpong or fake DVDs in Panthip Plaza or counterfeit
sunglasses on Sukhumvit Road. They're everywhere.

But I've been offered drugs, even heavy ones in Europe
(Amsterdam, just to make an example). I guess Europe must be a cesspool?
Or perhaps KSR is not as drug-infested as you like to think ?

By the way, not all foreigners are on drugs and prostitutes.

I never said that they were.

So why would anyone want to go to Khao San Road to associate with
farangs who have serious drug problems or to associate with the locals
who are supplying them?

Maybe you are the one who has a problem.

Let's see. You think I have a problem because I don't like racists. You
think I have a problem because I don't like druggies.

Well, maybe *one* of us has a problem.

Old November 29th, 2005, 05:32 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

On 28 Nov 2005 04:18:14 -0800, "Tchiowa" wrote:

Chris Blunt wrote:
On 27 Nov 2005 21:17:22 -0800, "Tchiowa" wrote:

Chris Blunt wrote:
Tchiowa wrote:
Chris Blunt wrote:

Something I do like about Khao San Road is that its one of the few
places that have both ordinary Thais and foreigners mixing and
enjoying themselves.

You can't be serious, Chris.

I'm absolutely serious.

I hope you're not getting into the
backpacker "you have to live poor to see the *real* Thailand" mantra.

You mean you wish I had.

No, I mean exactly what I said. I hope you're not trying to say that.
It's a pathetic attitude and it's beneath most people.

I said absolutely nothing about needing to be poor to see the *real*
Thailand. You know that, now quit trying to suggest I did.

You said, and I quote: " its one of the few places that have both
ordinary Thais and foreigners mixing and enjoying themselves". By doing
so you are saying that a) those are ordinary Thais, and b) either Thais
don't associate with foreigners elsewhere or those that do aren't
ordinary Thais.

I'm saying both a) and b). They are ordinary Thai people, and no, Thai
people don't generally mix with foreigners in the entertainment venues
that most foreigners go to, at least in Bangkok. I found a couple of
places in Khao San Road that were nice exceptions to that. That's all
I said, period.

In any case, none of that can possibly be construed as implying you
need to be poor to experience the *real* Thailand, whatever that
means. Its not what I wrote, and not what I meant, but that hasn't
stopped you twisting it around to appear to make it appear to mean
something quite different.

I'm not going to respond to the rest of your garbage in which you
continue to insult the Thai people who go to Khao San Road by claiming
they are prostitutes even though you haven't actually been there
yourself for years. As others have noted, you are indeed a very sick
man.

Chris
Old November 29th, 2005, 05:43 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

wrote:
"Is it or is it not true that Khao San Road is "the place to go" for
foreigners to score drugs?"

Absolutely not.

I see. So the stories in the newspapers about drug busts are fake? The
postings you see on Usenet telling people where to buy drugs in
Thailand are illusions? The backpackers you see on Khao San Road were
all born with blank expressions and eyes that can't focus and breath
that smells like copper? It's a genetic thing? Grinding the backs of
their teeth off is a religious rite? Ecstasy is just an emotion?

Who do you think you're kidding?

Talk about the most likely place in Bangkok to find
out that your dealer is really an undercover cop. Only a complete
idiot would try to buy on the KSR.

Actually only a complete idiot would try to buy *anywhere* in Thailand.
But if you're pretending it's not going on, in fact one of the main
draws in Khao San Road, then you're either naive or have your eyes
closed.

The fact that an annoyingly high percentage of the backpackers there
are, in fact, idiots is just one more reason to avoid the place.

Since a lot of the backpackers
there are either starting or ending their trips, even total stoners are
unlikely to have anything on them - they either just arrived and
haven't bought yet or they have already gotten rid of their stash.

(sigh) It's not farangs selling to farangs. It doesn't matter that they
are arriving without drugs in their pockets. The stoners are buying
their drugs there, in Khao San Road, from Thai dealers. The same Thai
that others in this thread are calling "normal, average, everyday Thai"
which is a cruel insult to all of the normal, average everyday Thai.

Old November 29th, 2005, 06:00 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

Chris Blunt wrote:
On 28 Nov 2005 04:18:14 -0800, "Tchiowa" wrote:

You said, and I quote: " its one of the few places that have both
ordinary Thais and foreigners mixing and enjoying themselves". By doing
so you are saying that a) those are ordinary Thais, and b) either Thais
don't associate with foreigners elsewhere or those that do aren't
ordinary Thais.

I'm saying both a) and b). They are ordinary Thai people, and no, Thai
people don't generally mix with foreigners in the entertainment venues
that most foreigners go to, at least in Bangkok. I found a couple of
places in Khao San Road that were nice exceptions to that. That's all
I said, period.

And you're 100% wrong. Thai people associate with foreigners all over
the Kingdom.

I'm not going to respond to the rest of your garbage in which you
continue to insult the Thai people who go to Khao San Road by claiming
they are prostitutes even though you haven't actually been there
yourself for years. As others have noted, you are indeed a very sick
man.

Why do you find it necessary to flat out lie to try to make a point? I
never claimed that the Thai going there were prostitutes.

Interesting that you refer to others saying I'm sick (or have a
problem) when the 2 points that referred to was that I have a problem
because 1) I don't like racists (are you going to try to defend Markku
using terms like "Kike" and "Hebe" and openly boasting that he is a
racist), and 2) because I don't like druggies.

Now you add that I am sick because I don't like hanging out with
druggies and because I am offended when you and others try to portray
the worst part of Bangkok as a great example of love and brotherhood.
It's an insult to my family and my friends.

Well, if not liking racists and not liking druggies and having Thai
friends who think the drug scene in Khao San Road is pathetic makes me
a sick person in your mind, that says more about you than it does about
me.

Old November 29th, 2005, 06:14 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 13:32:37 +0800, Chris Blunt
wrote:

I'm not going to respond to the rest of your garbage in which you
continue to insult the Thai people who go to Khao San Road by claiming
they are prostitutes even though you haven't actually been there
yourself for years. As others have noted, you are indeed a very sick
man.

This person is very sick indeed to rant on on about a place the he
openly admits to not having been to in years.

I wonder what his definition of the "average Thai" is - as if you can
actually categorize a whole race of people with such vague terms as
average, below average or above average.
Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
Old November 29th, 2005, 06:27 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

On 28 Nov 2005 21:43:38 -0800, "Tchiowa" wrote:

(sigh) It's not farangs selling to farangs. It doesn't matter that they
are arriving without drugs in their pockets. The stoners are buying
their drugs there, in Khao San Road, from Thai dealers. The same Thai
that others in this thread are calling "normal, average, everyday Thai"
which is a cruel insult to all of the normal, average everyday Thai.

Don't be such an idiot. Nobody is referring to drug dealers as normal,
average everyday people. You made up this baseless claim that every
Thai person in Khao San Road is either a prostitute or a drug dealer.
You are the only one to have insulted Thai people here, and you should
be ashamed of yourself for it.

You get drug dealers all over Thailand, in fact all over the world, no
more and no less in Khao San Road. You get rich drug addicts and you
get poor drug addicts. Wealthy superstars are just as likely to get
involved in drugs as any other sector of society. If you don't like
Khao San Road, just say so any leave it at that. You don't need to
engage in this stupid tirade against the place to justify not going
there. What is the matter with you, man?

Chris