Why do airlines show movies on red eye flight.

Old September 9th, 2003, 10:53 PM
mrtravel

Default Why do airlines show movies on red eye flight.

Peter L wrote:

As you know, in this day and age, no airline passenger can impose anything
on anyone. I don't know where you get the idea that I want to impose
anything on anyone. I am complaining about this strange idea of showing a
movie in a red eye flight. On long international flights in my experience,
they don't show a movie during what usually constitutes sleep time for most
passengers.

On long international flights that I have been on, they do show movies
during late night (local time) periods.

Old September 9th, 2003, 11:19 PM
Miguel Cruz

Peter L wrote:
As you know, in this day and age, no airline passenger can impose anything
on anyone. I don't know where you get the idea that I want to impose
anything on anyone. I am complaining about this strange idea of showing a
movie in a red eye flight. On long international flights in my experience,
they don't show a movie during what usually constitutes sleep time for most
passengers.

What's sleep time on a long east-west or west-east flight? Some people are
on origination time zone, others on destination zone, others working madly
to adjust.

The transpacific flights I've taken recently have all had personal video,
but on transatlantic flights there's usually a movie one or two hours into
it, which is the middle of any sleep one might hope to get. I actually find
that it helps me get to sleep if I'm marginally tired.

Nor do they wake you up for meals.

A while ago I was on an airline (Virgin maybe) that gave people "yes, wake
me up for food" and "no, let me sleep" stickers to apply to ourselves.
Seemed like a great idea. Sometimes I wake up just after breakfast has been
served (or I woke up in anticipation of breakfast and dozed off while
waiting for them to make it to my row) and that makes me grumpy.

Somehow on these long international flights they get the idea that they
should set aside a period for passengers to sleep, at least try to sleep.

It's not kindergarten with forced nap time. Some people just can't get to
sleep and if they're bored and fidgety they're going to keep others up too
(opening the windowshades, walking around, etc.).

I think eyeshades are the only reasonable solution if you're bothered by the
light.

miguel
Old September 9th, 2003, 11:24 PM
Peter L

"mrtravel" wrote in message
. ..
Peter L wrote:

About 8 hours. It's a red eye. How much time do you sleep at night?

I thought it was Sacramento to Chicago
That's less than 2000 miles. I am guessing about 1800-1900.
You must have been on a very slow plane.

It's a 3.5 hour flight, started at 11:30 pm, sleep time for most people

and
most of the passengers on this flight.

Then why did you someone say 8 hours.

Because you asked "How much time do you have to sleep?" Well, about 8 hours
per night. On a 4 hour flight, I hope for the entire 4 hours.

How much sleep do you get on a 3 1/2 flight?

Not much on this particular one. In the best of all worlds, 3 1/2 hours.

Old September 9th, 2003, 11:47 PM
Casey

I am tall enough that my eyes are above the head rest of the seat
in front of me. The movie screen is yet above that. The flickering
light is very distracting for someone trying to sleep. And for those
people who needs entertainment, there are a number of music
channels, and they can read the magazine from cover to cover.

I hate to break it to you, but you are not the only person in the world
and definitely not the most important. As other posters wrote, some
people do not sleep on planes and some are so well-prepared that
they bring blinders (soft eye covers). Your last statement was about
as arrogant and selfish as I've read.

Casey

Old September 10th, 2003, 12:13 AM
mrtravel

Peter L wrote:

Because you asked "How much time do you have to sleep?" Well, about 8 hours
per night. On a 4 hour flight, I hope for the entire 4 hours.

zDoh.... We were discussing sleeping on the flight you were referring to
, so I did not mean how much sleep you get when you are not flying.

Old September 10th, 2003, 12:32 AM
Peter L

"Casey" wrote in message
nk.net...
I am tall enough that my eyes are above the head rest of the seat
in front of me. The movie screen is yet above that. The flickering
light is very distracting for someone trying to sleep. And for those
people who needs entertainment, there are a number of music
channels, and they can read the magazine from cover to cover.

I hate to break it to you, but you are not the only person in the world
and definitely not the most important.

Nor do I ever think so. What makes you say that?

As other posters wrote, some
people do not sleep on planes and some are so well-prepared that
they bring blinders (soft eye covers). Your last statement was about
as arrogant and selfish as I've read.

As arrogant and selfish as someone who says if I want to sleep I should
bring eye shades? How are these two statements different?

Casey

Old September 10th, 2003, 01:14 AM
Randy Hudson

In article ,
Peter L wrote:

I have flown other red eyes with other airlines and they do show a movie.
Why? Let me sleep in peace, please.

If you can sleep crammed into that tiny upright space, you're luckier than
most of us. If you really intend to sleep, you should bring eyeshades;
earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones are also a good investment if you
hope to sleep on a flight. Every time the air is less than glass-smooth,
the cockpit turns on the seat belt sign and triggers the 90-decibel
automatic announcement.

Those of us who read try not to disturb those next to us. But reading takes
far more light than watching a movie, and also involves moving hands and/or
arms to turn pages. Not to mention the whole fuss of changing books every
2-3 hours, more often if one isn't a good choice (a book that makes me laugh
out loud is obviously inappropriate on a red-eye if fellow travellers are
trying to sleep).

It used to be that red-eyes were uncrowded, and one could spread out a bit
on them. Not any more, especially the eastbound transcontinentals.

--
Randy Hudson
Old September 10th, 2003, 01:52 AM
Yaofeng

"Peter L" wrote in message ...
Just took a flight from Sacto to Chicago. Boarded at 11:30 pm. They
brought drinks, a pack of little salty snacks. And when everyone was
settled in and getting comfortable to go to sleep, they started a movie.
Yeah that's exactly what I wanted in the middle of the night. I have flown
other red eyes with other airlines and they do show a movie. Why? Let me
sleep in peace, please.

They show movies on any flight long enough to fit one in, more if time
allows. I actually love it.
Old September 10th, 2003, 02:04 AM
nospam

In article , Peter L
wrote:

"Casey" wrote in message
nk.net...
I am tall enough that my eyes are above the head rest of the seat
in front of me. The movie screen is yet above that. The flickering
light is very distracting for someone trying to sleep. And for those
people who needs entertainment, there are a number of music
channels, and they can read the magazine from cover to cover.

I hate to break it to you, but you are not the only person in the world
and definitely not the most important.

Nor do I ever think so. What makes you say that?

the fact you want to dictate what the rest of the plane can and cannot
do on the flight.

what if the person sitting next to you wants to work on his laptop? are
you going to prohibit that too?

As other posters wrote, some
people do not sleep on planes and some are so well-prepared that
they bring blinders (soft eye covers). Your last statement was about
as arrogant and selfish as I've read.

As arrogant and selfish as someone who says if I want to sleep I should
bring eye shades? How are these two statements different?

because *you* are the one for which the flicker is disturbing. the rest
of the plane is not bothered by it - they are either asleep or watching
the movie.

if the flicker bothers you, then you need to buy eyeshades or fly on a
plane that has no in flight entertainment.