Why do airlines show movies on red eye flight.

Old September 11th, 2003, 10:11 PM
me

Default Why do airlines show movies on red eye flight.

"Sharon" wrote in message ...
[snip]
My last trip to the UK was on a redeye flight, and I'll never do that
again. This was a trip from Washington-Dulles to Heathrow on British Air,
about a 5.5 hour trip. We got NO sleep because there was only about an hour
between each beverage/meal service. 20 minutes after takeoff they served
beverages. An hour after that, they served dinner. About another hour
later they served another beverage. Finally breakfast a short time later.
And believe it or not, they actually *woke up* the man sitting in front of
us to ask him if he wanted a beverage once.

Typically there would have been a 2 hour movie in there someplace.
They usually don't do any service during the movie. That's a good
time to sleep because they often darken the cabin, and alot of folks
either sleep or watch but they don't tend to move around.

We got to our hotel in London at around 9am, too early to check in. I
was so dead that all I could do was sprawl unconscious on a couch in their
lounge area.

It was what, 3 am your "body time"? If you got any sleep at
all I'da thunk you'd be a little less than dead. In a few hours
you would've been in trouble. We typically take the flight you're
describing. We usually get to the hotel about 10am -noon. We
walk around London for the day and then have dinner and struggle
to stay awake 'till 8 or so.

I suppose there are morning flights to London from DC. But
if you leave at 11 am, you get to London about 11pm, which most
folks don't really like. If you want to get to London at 5pm,
you've got to be at Dulles about 3am. Basically it's a long day.
Old September 12th, 2003, 12:24 AM
Dave Proctor

Whilst undoubtedly under the effects of alcohol, "blib"
wrote:

[...]
My last trip to the UK was on a redeye flight, and I'll never do

that
again. This was a trip from Washington-Dulles to Heathrow on British

Air,
about a 5.5hour trip.

[...]
5 1/2 hours, what aircraft were you flying?

That's entirely possible with a good tail wind.

The scheduled time for an A340 is 7.05 so an 1h 35 mins less must mean some
head wind...

Hardly, a head wind would slow it down.

=========

Dave

Don't Drink Drive....
It's A Laundry Detergent
Old September 12th, 2003, 09:42 AM
Miss L. Toe

"blib" wrote in message
[...]
My last trip to the UK was on a redeye flight, and I'll never do

that
again. This was a trip from Washington-Dulles to Heathrow on British

Air,
about a 5.5hour trip.

[...]
5 1/2 hours, what aircraft were you flying?

My CO 777 from EWR to LGW took 5 1/2 hours the other day (+ 1 hour slow
taxiing along the runway). I managed about 1 hours sleep onboard, then got 7
hours more during the day when I got home, some sleeping pills for that
night ensured a full nights sleep and no jet lag whatsoever !!!