Around the world for a month

Old April 27th, 2006, 06:51 PM posted to rec.travel.air

Default Around the world for a month

Hey everyone!
This summer my girlfriend and I are planning on making a trip around the
world (by plane for about a month). She's been talking about it for a long
time and now that we can do it I hope she would never forget it!
We want to visit 5 specific places on this trip - London, New York, Los
Angeles, Tokyo and Honkong. I know that there are many websites offering
airplane tickets but can anyone recommend a specific site which is safe
and has a search engine for multy-city-traveling???
10nx a lot in advance!

Old April 27th, 2006, 07:10 PM posted to rec.travel.air

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 13:51:10 -0400, "shadowfang"
wrote:

This summer my girlfriend and I are planning on making a trip around the
world (by plane for about a month). She's been talking about it for a long
time and now that we can do it I hope she would never forget it!
We want to visit 5 specific places on this trip - London, New York, Los
Angeles, Tokyo and Honkong. I know that there are many websites offering
airplane tickets but can anyone recommend a specific site which is safe
and has a search engine for multy-city-traveling???

You should probably talk to a good local travelagent preferably one
that's used to catering to RTW trips , there should be some pretty
cheap ways of doing such a major destination RTW trip.

Jim.
Old April 27th, 2006, 07:16 PM posted to rec.travel.air

In article outtravelling.com,
shadowfang wrote:
Hey everyone!
This summer my girlfriend and I are planning on making a trip around the
world (by plane for about a month). She's been talking about it for a long
time and now that we can do it I hope she would never forget it!
We want to visit 5 specific places on this trip - London, New York, Los
Angeles, Tokyo and Honkong. I know that there are many websites offering
airplane tickets but can anyone recommend a specific site which is safe
and has a search engine for multy-city-traveling???
10nx a lot in advance!

If you visit the Star Alliance website http://www.staralliance.com

you can download a trip planning tool, the Round the World Mileage Calculator,
and do all your searching, etc., on your own PC (no Mac version, unfortunately).

Despite what the name may lead you to believe, it's a lot more than a
mileage calculator - it contains full schedules for all the Star Alliance
airlines, and a full itinerary building tool.

If, indeed, you only want to visit those five cities, and can limit
your trip to just five stopovers, you could even be eligible for
the cheapest of their round-the-world tickets.

Ob.disclaimer: I wrote a fair bit of the code for this product (and
the cool screensaver also available for download at Star), so I'm
definitely touting my own products here.

Old April 27th, 2006, 08:28 PM posted to rec.travel.air

"shadowfang" wrote in message
lkabouttravelling.com...
Hey everyone!
This summer my girlfriend and I are planning on making a trip around the
world (by plane for about a month). She's been talking about it for a long
time and now that we can do it I hope she would never forget it!
We want to visit 5 specific places on this trip - London, New York, Los
Angeles, Tokyo and Honkong. I know that there are many websites offering
airplane tickets but can anyone recommend a specific site which is safe
and has a search engine for multy-city-traveling???

You might be better to get a return to Tokyo with stopovers.
Out one way, back the other is a valid route for this destination
(not sure if two stops are allowed on each leg though)

tim

Old April 27th, 2006, 08:49 PM posted to rec.travel.air

"shadowfang" wrote:

We want to visit 5 specific places on this trip - London, New York, Los
Angeles, Tokyo and Honkong. I know that there are many websites offering
airplane tickets but can anyone recommend a specific site which is safe
and has a search engine for multy-city-traveling???

Unless you want to do a lot of work looking up the low cost carriers in each
region and making your own way between out of the way airports, but probably
should look into a ticket from one of the major alliances.

www.staralliance.com will get you started. They have a downloadable journey
planner that works very well. Once you get an itinerary that works, you can get
them to price it for you. RTW tickets have certain restrictions, but can be
quite flexible and well priced. Consolidators may also be able to sell you RTW
tickets.
Old April 27th, 2006, 08:49 PM posted to rec.travel.air

(John Francis) wrote:

I wrote a fair bit of the code for this product

You did well! Have used it for months. I only wish it did pricing.
Old April 27th, 2006, 09:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air

In article ,
Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:
(John Francis) wrote:

I wrote a fair bit of the code for this product

You did well! Have used it for months. I only wish it did pricing.

Thanks. Have you tried the screensaver?

It's designed as a stand-alone product, so it's hard to incorporate
pricing - as you probably know, prices change based on all sorts of
things. We can put pricing on the RTW tickets only because they are
close to fixed-price (prices change a few times a year, mostly based
on exchange rates). But we don't do pricing on simpler itineraries.

Although the Star RTWMC only has schedules for Star member airlines,
we build other products for other customers, so we have a full data
feed from OAG.

I've got full OAG passenger schedules on my Treo 700w, but that's not
available as a product at the moment. Still, we're working on that ...

Old April 27th, 2006, 10:00 PM posted to rec.travel.air

In article ,
Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:
(John Francis) wrote:

I wrote a fair bit of the code for this product

You did well! Have used it for months. I only wish it did pricing.

But it *does* do pricing, albeit only for round-the-world tickets.
Old April 27th, 2006, 11:45 PM posted to rec.travel.air

shadowfang wrote:
Hey everyone!
This summer my girlfriend and I are planning on making a trip around the
world (by plane for about a month). She's been talking about it for a long
time and now that we can do it I hope she would never forget it!
We want to visit 5 specific places on this trip - London, New York, Los
Angeles, Tokyo and Honkong. I know that there are many websites offering
airplane tickets but can anyone recommend a specific site which is safe
and has a search engine for multy-city-traveling???
10nx a lot in advance!

Where are you starting from? If these are the only cities involved, it
might be cheaper to not buy a RTW ticket. For example, if you are in the
US, then you might manage this in two separate round trips with a stop
or two.