Legality of not using return portion of airline tickets?

Old October 14th, 2006, 04:06 PM posted to rec.travel.air
tim\(yet another new home\)

Default Legality of not using return portion of airline tickets?

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
ups.com...
Tchiowa wrote:

If you pay by credit card the airline can legally charge you for the
cost of an unrestricted one way ticket as you violated the terms of
your contract. There have been stories of them doing just that.

Why they don't just copy the low-costs and charge half the return price
for a single (effectively selling everything as singles) I will never
work out. It's a far better method of yield management.

Because they want to keep the Saturday stop-over rule.

tim

Old October 14th, 2006, 04:08 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Ley

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 16:05:17 +0100, "tim\(yet another new home\)"
wrote:

"Tchiowa" wrote in message
If you pay by credit card the airline can legally charge you for the
cost of an unrestricted one way ticket as you violated the terms of
your contract.

No they can't, because to do this they have to show that
you intended to miss the return flight when you bought
the ticket.

I've dropped lots of return portions (I dropped a Jamaica London with
7 day stop over in Washington this year) and no airlines have ever
shown the slightest interest...

Jim.
Old October 14th, 2006, 05:21 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Sancho Panza[_1_]

"O" wrote in message
In article .com,
Tchiowa wrote:

fideauxdon wrote:
What is the legality of booking a round-trip international airline
ticket, and not using the return portion?
I found a Venice-to-NYC round-trip fare in April 2007 on British
Airways for about $600. I only want to uses the first part of the trip.
A one-way fare from Venice to NYC is over $750. If I don't use the
return portion, can the airline legally charge me the one-way fare
after the fact?

If you pay by credit card the airline can legally charge you for the
cost of an unrestricted one way ticket as you violated the terms of
your contract. There have been stories of them doing just that.

What contract would that be? I don't recall ever signing a contract
with any airline, nor have I ever seen terms in any agreement that
require me to actually use any part of the ticket.

Time to start reading the small print and be surprised.

Old October 14th, 2006, 05:35 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Neil Williams

tim(yet another new home) wrote:

Because they want to keep the Saturday stop-over rule.

Why? It does not provide for optimal yield management to have that
kind of rule.

Neil

Old October 14th, 2006, 05:47 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Frank F. Matthews

Neil Williams wrote:
tim(yet another new home) wrote:

Because they want to keep the Saturday stop-over rule.

Why? It does not provide for optimal yield management to have that
kind of rule.

Neil

It would appear to do that. If it forces some passengers who will fly
anyway into higher prices fares it would appear to be an effective yield
management tool.

Old October 14th, 2006, 07:05 PM posted to rec.travel.air

In article , Sancho Panza
wrote:

"O" wrote in message
In article .com,
Tchiowa wrote:

fideauxdon wrote:
What is the legality of booking a round-trip international airline
ticket, and not using the return portion?
I found a Venice-to-NYC round-trip fare in April 2007 on British
Airways for about $600. I only want to uses the first part of the trip.
A one-way fare from Venice to NYC is over $750. If I don't use the
return portion, can the airline legally charge me the one-way fare
after the fact?

If you pay by credit card the airline can legally charge you for the
cost of an unrestricted one way ticket as you violated the terms of
your contract. There have been stories of them doing just that.

What contract would that be? I don't recall ever signing a contract
with any airline, nor have I ever seen terms in any agreement that
require me to actually use any part of the ticket.

Time to start reading the small print and be surprised.

Small print doesn't make a contract. When I go to an amusement park
and the back of the ticket says that they are not responsible for any
accidents on their rides, it doesn't hold a lot of water in court.

-Owen
Old October 14th, 2006, 07:50 PM posted to rec.travel.air
tim\(yet another new home\)

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
oups.com...
tim(yet another new home) wrote:

Because they want to keep the Saturday stop-over rule.

Why? It does not provide for optimal yield management to have that
kind of rule.

This is a tough call. To work out that it does, means removing it
to see. But if you do this it will be difficult to put back if you've
made a mistake.

The fact that other (new) carriers are more profitable without it
proves nothing because those other carriers have a lower cost
model which makes then more profitable at lower fares. It could
be that all the LCCs could make even more money wih a round
trip ticket only policy.

tim

Old October 14th, 2006, 08:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Neil Williams

tim(yet another new home) wrote:

The fact that other (new) carriers are more profitable without it
proves nothing because those other carriers have a lower cost
model which makes then more profitable at lower fares. It could
be that all the LCCs could make even more money wih a round
trip ticket only policy.

It might be an interesting exercise to ask the railway about that one.
They have gone to singles for advance-purchase, train-specific cheapo
fares without changing any other element of their business model.

Neil

Old October 14th, 2006, 09:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Joseph Coulter[_1_]

"tim\(yet another new home\)" wrote in
:

I suspect that you may be confusing other instances of
people being surcharged for other ticket irregularities.

tim

What they were threatening and could get away with a few years ago was
charging the travel agent. The airlines had draconian enforcable
contracts that pretty much said that the agent was at fault for
anything. since this threat, charge backs for one way no shows (as well
as nested tickets and getting off at an intermeditate point (I forget
the cute name)) and similar all came about the time they yanked the last
pennies of commission it did little to influence anyone most of us just
dumped out CRS contracts and recommended that clients buy on line.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old October 14th, 2006, 09:55 PM posted to rec.travel.air
nobody[_1_]

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote:
It would appear to do that. If it forces some passengers who will fly
anyway into higher prices fares it would appear to be an effective yield
management tool.

In a cartel, yes. When you know all your competitors do the same yes.
But introduce just one airline that doesn't have that silly artificial
rule and your yield management fails because you end up giving business
to the low cost carrier who don't have those artificial price barriers.

Legacy carriers can no loger milk customers dry just because they are on
business. They need to offer competitive fares. And they can do that
whislt keeping teh avreage yield the same. Charge less to business
travellers and charge more to casual travellers.

Operating a flight based on having 5 high paying customers and the rest
just barely paying for the fuel is not a winning strategy anymore.
Legacy carriers must think of every passengers as a profitable one and
charge them so that they are profitable.