Anyone help me, Question regarding Hong Kong & China ID Cards

Old February 12th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Po Box 557

Default Anyone help me, Question regarding Hong Kong & China ID Cards

2 questions i like to ask:

Question 1:
Everyone born in or lived in Hong Kong for a long time is entitled to apply
for a HKH PERMANENT ID CARD, is this a travelling document like a passport?
Or just a form of ID?

Question 2:
People in Hong Kong can also apply for a China ID Card too, before this
reddish card came out they used to have this bulky book where the Chinese
Immigration stamped it everytime. With this card it is so much easier where
they just swipe it. Does anyone knows what this card is called? And who
can apply for one?

Cheers for help,

Dont send me emails as email address is dud.

Old February 13th, 2004, 03:59 AM
Chris Blunt

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 06:55:42 -0000, "Po Box 557"
wrote:

2 questions i like to ask:

Question 1:
Everyone born in or lived in Hong Kong for a long time is entitled to apply
for a HKH PERMANENT ID CARD, is this a travelling document like a passport?
Or just a form of ID?

Its just a form of ID, but can also be used to enter and leave Hong
Kong instead of a passport. Its not recognised as a passport
internationally, so for traveling to most countries Hong Kong people
still need to take along their passport.

Old February 13th, 2004, 10:00 AM
George W. Russell

Chris Blunt wrote in message . ..

Its just a form of ID, but can also be used to enter and leave Hong
Kong instead of a passport. Its not recognised as a passport
internationally, so for traveling to most countries Hong Kong people
still need to take along their passport.

I think the requirement is seven years' continuous residency to
qualify for a permanent ID card. You even get the right to vote.

New machine readable "smart cards" are now being phased in and
eventually the old ones (such as my temporary one first issued in
1987) will not be accepted by authorities.

George W. Russell
Ha Noi
Old February 13th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Munroe

the red card is called a boo-t-scra-per

In the local Cantonese dialect

Old February 14th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Po Box 557

oh, and what is that in english please?

Old August 26th, 2004, 04:56 AM
Phil

"Po Box 557" wrote in message
2 questions i like to ask:

Question 1:
Everyone born in or lived in Hong Kong for a long time is entitled to

apply
for a HKH PERMANENT ID CARD, is this a travelling document like a

passport?
Or just a form of ID?

The Permanent ID card is not a travel document as a Passport is. The
permanent ID card indicates to the immigration department that you have the
right of abode (and therefore may be employed legally without an employment
visa). Permanent ID can be applied for if you have resided legally in Hong
Kong for 7 years.

Question 2:
People in Hong Kong can also apply for a China ID Card too, before this
reddish card came out they used to have this bulky book where the Chinese
Immigration stamped it everytime. With this card it is so much easier

where
they just swipe it. Does anyone knows what this card is called? And who
can apply for one?

Not 100% sure about this one but the info from my friends is that the China
ID is available to HK nationals. Regardless of the status of your ID if you
are an Expat you will need the travel document (passport) of your nation to
enter/leave HK