driving nyc-niagara falls

Old March 30th, 2006, 07:52 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default driving nyc-niagara falls

I am going to drive to niagara falls, CA from NYC, and would like to
know if it is quicker to take the NYS thruway or Route 17?

Also, does anyone here know how much the toll is for the thruway?

Is there a toll to get into Canada from Niagara Falls, US?

thanks!

Old March 30th, 2006, 10:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 13:52:07 -0500, fungus amungus
wrote:

I am going to drive to niagara falls, CA from NYC, and would like to
know if it is quicker to take the NYS thruway or Route 17?

Also, does anyone here know how much the toll is for the thruway?

Is there a toll to get into Canada from Niagara Falls, US?

thanks!

Stick to the Thruway, it is much faster. I cant remember the
charge but its under $20.00. The bridge toll to Canada
(depending which bridge) is around $3.50
http://www.thruway.state.ny.us/index.shtml
Old March 31st, 2006, 12:46 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 2006-03-30 18:27:28 -0500, jdoe said:

rt 17 is not fully completed, stick to the throughway, another routing
would be west on 80 to 81 to the throughway

Only about 20 miles of I-86 (Rt. 17) in the Elmira area is incomplete,
and it's not bad most of the time.

Old March 31st, 2006, 02:05 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

I am going to drive to niagara falls, CA from NYC, and would like to
know if it is quicker to take the NYS thruway or Route 17?

rt 17 is not fully completed, stick to the throughway, another routing
would be west on 80 to 81 to the throughway

Correction: the *upgrade* of NY 17 to Interstate standards (after which
it will be I-86) is not completed. It's still a pretty good four-lane
road. I would expect the Thruway to be faster by maybe a couple of
hours, mainly because there isn't a direct, fast connecting route from
17 to Buffalo. When I've done this, I've most often used NY 400, but
that only covers part of the distance.

Also, does anyone here know how much the toll is for the thruway?

See http://www.thruway.state.ny.us/tolls/calc/trip.cgi. You pay a
flat 75 cents at the first barrier (Yonkers). At the Tappan Zee
Bridge there's a toll of $4.00 in the southbound direction only
(eastbound across the river).

Between there and a point near Buffalo, there's a ticket system so you
only pay once unless you leave the Thruway. (There are service centers
on the Thruway with gas and fast food, so you don't have to leave the
system just for that, unless you want to. Obviously if you do leave
you get a new ticket when you reenter.) If you stay on for the full
length, that's $15.15.

Now if you want to head directly to Niagara Falls, you should exit via
I-290 (free) to reach I-190 northbound, on which you pay another 75
cents at the south Grand Island bridge. If you prefer to cross into
Canada at Buffalo (the Peace Bridge), then stay on the Thruway to I-190,
on which you will again pay 75 cents at a barrier in Buffalo.

So by any of the bridges it's a total of $16.65 from NYC to the border
and $20.65 in the other direction -- maybe a bit different if you leave
and reenter the Thruway system en route.

Is there a toll to get into Canada from Niagara Falls, US?

All of the Niagara River bridges charge $2.50 US or $3.50 Canadian.
The Peace Bridge web site http://www.peacebridge.com doesn't say
whether this is charged in both directions, and I haven't used it
recently enough to know myself; the other bridges are covered under
http://www.niagarafallsbridges.com, which does say that tolls apply
in one direction only.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | An actual human would feel guilt in this situation.

Old March 31st, 2006, 02:18 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

fungus amungus wrote:

I am going to drive to niagara falls, CA from NYC, and would like to
know if it is quicker to take the NYS thruway or Route 17?

Also, does anyone here know how much the toll is for the thruway?

Is there a toll to get into Canada from Niagara Falls, US?

The toll for the bridge is $2.50 US or $3.50 Cdn. , but only collected one way.

Old March 31st, 2006, 05:29 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Dave Smith wrote:

fungus amungus wrote:

I am going to drive to niagara falls, CA from NYC, and would like to
know if it is quicker to take the NYS thruway or Route 17?

Also, does anyone here know how much the toll is for the thruway?

Is there a toll to get into Canada from Niagara Falls, US?

The toll for the bridge is $2.50 US or $3.50 Cdn. , but only collected one way.

Collected going into Canada.

Also alternative is 17 to Binghamton, then 81 north to Syracuse, 690 to
Thruway. Used to be called the fastway as quicker than Thruway all the
way.
Old March 31st, 2006, 05:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

In article , gerald
wrote:

Dave Smith wrote:

fungus amungus wrote:

I am going to drive to niagara falls, CA from NYC, and would like to
know if it is quicker to take the NYS thruway or Route 17?

Also, does anyone here know how much the toll is for the thruway?

Is there a toll to get into Canada from Niagara Falls, US?

The toll for the bridge is $2.50 US or $3.50 Cdn. , but only collected one
way.

Collected going into Canada.

Also alternative is 17 to Binghamton, then 81 north to Syracuse, 690 to
Thruway. Used to be called the fastway as quicker than Thruway all the
way.

is this route still considered faster? I would prefer not to pay tolls,
but if I save a few hours I don't mind paying the toll....

thanks everyone!

Old April 2nd, 2006, 09:28 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Earlier I wrote:
All of the Niagara River bridges charge $2.50 US or $3.50 Canadian.
The Peace Bridge web site http://www.peacebridge.com doesn't say
whether this is charged in both directions, and I haven't used it
recently enough to know myself; the other bridges are covered under
http://www.niagarafallsbridges.com, which does say that tolls apply
in one direction only.

I received email today from a Sandy Stenhouse who tells me that the
Peace Bridge is indeed like the others, with a toll charged in one
direction only. (In all cases, you pay on the crossing into Canada.)

While the passenger car toll is the same on all the bridges, Sandy
adds that the Peace Bridge has lower tolls for "commercial vehicles
of any size", so it's the way they normally go.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Every new technology carries with it an opportunity

Old April 6th, 2006, 12:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Mark Brader wrote:

Earlier I wrote:
All of the Niagara River bridges charge $2.50 US or $3.50 Canadian.
The Peace Bridge web site http://www.peacebridge.com doesn't say
whether this is charged in both directions, and I haven't used it
recently enough to know myself; the other bridges are covered under
http://www.niagarafallsbridges.com, which does say that tolls apply
in one direction only.

I received email today from a Sandy Stenhouse who tells me that the
Peace Bridge is indeed like the others, with a toll charged in one
direction only. (In all cases, you pay on the crossing into Canada.)

While the passenger car toll is the same on all the bridges, Sandy
adds that the Peace Bridge has lower tolls for "commercial vehicles
of any size", so it's the way they normally go.

And this can result in heavy traffic conditions on the Peace Bridge.