buying LHD vehicle

Old November 26th, 2007, 10:30 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.

Default buying LHD vehicle

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 09:45:47 +0000, Mike....
wrote:

Following up to AnonyMouse wrote:

I drive a rhd saturn here in the states every day and it's not THAT
"hairy" even on twisty 2 lane roads... though you may have to wait a bit
to pass.

The twisites are not so bad - at some stage you should be able to see
past the vehicle in front. It's the straights and long gentle curves
that are the bummer.

in town, what happens when a truck or bus stops and you need to pul
out but cant see?

You normally end up stuck behind it waiting.
It's a bit of a pain, but you soon learn to keep your distance behind
large vehicles so you can see past them better, just in case.
Old November 26th, 2007, 05:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Traveller[_5_]

"tam" wrote in message
.uk...

Will it be better value for money buying a vehicle in France or Holland to
drive down.
I intend to use it to drive around Europe over the next 2 or 3 years.

Tam: The problem with buying a vehicle in another EU country is that unless
you are resident there, you won't be able to register it there. Which means
you'll have to register it in the UK, and possibly pay import duties.

As others have said, probably best to look for a LHD car in the UK - fair
few on eBay and autotrader websites... also make sure your UK insurance
covers it for an extended trip if you're going more than 30 days.

Old November 28th, 2007, 04:17 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Anonymouse[_2_]

Mike.... wrote:
Following up to AnonyMouse wrote:

I drive a rhd saturn here in the states every day and it's not THAT
"hairy" even on twisty 2 lane roads... though you may have to wait a bit
to pass.

in town, what happens when a truck or bus stops and you need to pul
out but cant see?

that's what passengers are for on those roads...

i dont trust passengers with my life!

Hi,

well they're trusting you with their life.

really about the only person I'd "GO" with (trust them blindly when
needing to stomp on the throttle and pass a truck or ???) is my "fiance"...

she doesn't want to die either!

ttyl

akia
Old November 28th, 2007, 07:56 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike...

Following up to Anonymouse wrote:

i dont trust passengers with my life!

well they're trusting you with their life.

True, but irrelevant.

really about the only person I'd "GO" with (trust them blindly when
needing to stomp on the throttle and pass a truck or ???) is my "fiance"...

presumably because you feel she has enough experience of your driving
to know when to say "GO"?

she doesn't want to die either!

no passenger wants to die.

The point is that the way to do it is having the driver seeing what's
happening, anything else is way second best and inherently dangerous.
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email