CD recorder in Kenya safari...

Old January 26th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Leszek Strumilowski

Default CD recorder in Kenya safari...

Hello,

I'm going to take my digital camera to Kenya safari. I'm looking for
any information about computers with cd recorder availability in Masai
Mara, Samburu and other National Parks in Kenya. Is possible to record
any CD with
digital photos in Lodge? Or schould I take my nootebook or other image
store?

I know that I can record CD in Nairobi or in other towns, but what
about National Parks?

Best regards,
Lee
Old January 26th, 2004, 03:59 PM
CSM1

"Leszek Strumilowski" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I'm going to take my digital camera to Kenya safari. I'm looking for
any information about computers with cd recorder availability in Masai
Mara, Samburu and other National Parks in Kenya. Is possible to record
any CD with
digital photos in Lodge? Or schould I take my nootebook or other image
store?

I know that I can record CD in Nairobi or in other towns, but what
about National Parks?

Best regards,
Lee

Don't expect to find what you need for digital photos in another country.
The only sure way is to provide what you need yourself.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old January 26th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Dan Sullivan

"Leszek Strumilowski" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I'm going to take my digital camera to Kenya safari. I'm looking for
any information about computers with cd recorder availability in Masai
Mara, Samburu and other National Parks in Kenya. Is possible to record
any CD with
digital photos in Lodge? Or schould I take my nootebook or other image
store?

I know that I can record CD in Nairobi or in other towns, but what
about National Parks?

Best regards,
Lee

Take a portable CD burner with you.

Apacer Disc Steno CP200.

Nixvue Razor.

Burn two CDs at a time.

Mail one home and keep one with you.

Have fun, Dan Sullivan

Old January 27th, 2004, 04:20 AM
Scott Elliot

I use a digital camera too. I travel with an Image Tank, but there are
lot's of other similar devices that will allow you to download your flash
card. The device should connect to a computer by a USB cord and you can
have CDs burned at a computer or photo shop in larger cities.

If you have a notebook, get a flash card reader and take that. If your
notebook can burn CDs, make a back up copy of your pictures on CD as you
travel.

Remember that you have to be able to charge batteries on both you camera and
whatever device you take for storing images. Check that they will use 220
volt current if you come from North America and get an adapter plug that
will allow you to connect to Kenya outlets. (If you cannot use 220 volts
you will need a power converter as well.) It is not a bad idea to have a
battery charger that can plug into the 12v cigarette lighter socket in a
truck or car.

Scott Elliot
http://www3.telus.net/selliot/

Old January 29th, 2004, 01:10 AM
Paolo Pizzi

Scott Elliot wrote:

Check that they will use 220 volt current if you come from
North America

Huh? Last I checked, the whole North America is 120V.

Old January 29th, 2004, 07:37 AM
Justin Leggroan

Is possible to record
any CD with
digital photos in Lodge? Or should I take my notebook or other image
store?

I too had a similar question and am contemplating bringing a "digital
wallet"-type device. I have included a hyperlink to a review of one from
dpreview (excellent photography site).

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/digitalwallet/

There are several other similar devices and you should check out as many as
possible should you choose to go this route. Who knows... I might just buy a
few 4GB Compact Flash cards and hope it is enough. Don't forget extra
batteries for that digital camera of yours.

Have fun,

Justin

Old February 11th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Rick

"Leszek Strumilowski" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I'm going to take my digital camera to Kenya safari. I'm looking for
any information about computers with cd recorder availability in Masai
Mara, Samburu and other National Parks in Kenya. Is possible to record
any CD with
digital photos in Lodge? Or schould I take my nootebook or other image
store?

I know that I can record CD in Nairobi or in other towns, but what
about National Parks?

Best regards,
Lee

I am about three years out of date regarding Kenya, but my memory of the
hotels there is that the more upmarket you go, the better the facilities.
Business persons would be going there, so they would need such facilities.
Also, the cost of CD read/rewriters has dropped rapidly, so the good hotels
would likely be buying these things easily.
Can I give you a 'plug' for a friend I know in Nairobi? She is called
Anastasia, and runs a minibus and tours/safari service there. I became her
friend, and I stress I make no money out of her business. But she helped me
a lot when I visited Kenya, so I said I would help her to get some business
when I got home. She runs Ana's Tours & Travels, and her e-mail is
She is a mine of information!
- Rick in London

Old February 13th, 2004, 02:47 AM
Pia

We are going to Uganda in a few weeks for our honeymoon and are facing
the same problem. We've bought a 1Gig flashcard. We figure that will
do. Try that, perhaps. I think ours cost us $USD275.

Pia