Hotel at the St John, Prague

Old February 8th, 2004, 06:20 PM
John

Default Hotel at the St John, Prague

I've made a provisional booking for the Hotel at the St John, Prague.
Anybody had any experience of this place. It's right on the door step of
the Botanical Gardens, and I guess a little way out of the historical part
of town. The description on the website says:

'It is located 1 minute on foot from the Charles Square, in the walking
distance of the historical centre of Prague and 5 minutes from the
underground station Karlovo namesti (Charles Square) - line B. The tram stop
"Botanicka zahrada" is in front of the building. The Prague Botanical Garden
is located 150 metres from the house.'

To me, walking distance to the historical centre is only a five minute trot.
How far away is this place really?

Here's a link to the website: http://www.hotelsprague.net/stjohn/

And here's a link to a map (spot the flashing arrow in the middle of the map
where the hotel is): http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y2D233757

I've never been to Prague so not sure how the land lies. If it is a little
way out, how safe is Prague for walking in the evening?

TIA

Old February 8th, 2004, 06:38 PM
nick

Its in Prague 2, about 3km from Charles Bridge. Is 3000m walking distance? Nah
Trams go up/down on the road next to the river.
I found Prague to be fairly safe, but don't walk across a bridge alone late at night,
or for that matter anywhere alone at night, but that's common sense right?

http://www.athos.cz/pension-svaty-jan

Old February 8th, 2004, 06:46 PM
nick

http://tinyurl.com/34gsy
larger map. 200m to that metro. I prefer trams.

Old February 8th, 2004, 06:47 PM
John

Its in Prague 2, about 3km from Charles Bridge. Is 3000m walking distance?
Nah
Trams go up/down on the road next to the river.
I found Prague to be fairly safe, but don't walk across a bridge alone

late at night,
or for that matter anywhere alone at night, but that's common sense right?

http://www.athos.cz/pension-svaty-jan

Thanks Nick, I thought I'd just check it out - the location on the map gave
the game away. Seemed a bit of a stretch into the old town. I don't mind
walking, but when I'm in a place for only 3 days, I tend to prefer to be
right in the thick of it so everything is on the doorstep.

I'll decline their offer of accomodation - shame though - looked quite a
nice place, and very cheap!

Old February 8th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Stagshrine

I have stayed in that neighbor hood. I stayed about 4-6 blocks farther
north near the Opera House. I think it is a good location. The walking
distances are longer than those you represented from my experience. But I
would say it is a 5-10 minute walk to the Charles Bridge from your hotel.
Walking along the river is lovely. You won't mind the walk.
I wondered all around that neighbor hood alone and at night. Never felt
slightly threatened. I see major street cars run right past your Pension.
But I would walk. Its a great town for walking.

However, Be careful using the Boanical Gardens as a landmark. The Prazka
Botanicka Zahrahda are much farther north near the Zoological Gardens.

I have never heard of a tourist being the victim of a violent crime in
Prague. Although I'm sure it must have happened. The main risk is from
pickpockets and cut purses (One who slices open your purse and then steals
what falls out.) Of course these thieves depend upon crowds. So take the
normal precautions when your in crowds and you will be fine.

You are hundreds of times safer in Prague than most major American Cities.

--
"These are the times that try men's souls." Tom Paine

Marc B.

Old February 8th, 2004, 07:35 PM
nick

Yea we encountered a pickpocket within 5 mins of leaving the hotel
on our first night! Luckily she was an amateur.

Old February 9th, 2004, 06:53 PM
John

[...]

Thanks to everyone for your help and guidance. Have declined the offer of
accomodation at St John and instead staying at Pension Apostolic Residence
which is in the OLd Town Square. Can't get anymore central than that, can
I?

Cheers everyone!

Old February 10th, 2004, 03:27 AM
Ra

I stayed there for six nights in October and thought it was excellent.
Clean, large rooms. Real simple. Nice breakfast in the morning. Staff
was very polite. Except for the night a car hit a telephone out front,
the place was dead quiet. There are some really good pubs in the area,
including U Trajacka (sp) about two blocks away. We did not have any
problem in the area even at night. However, you do need to be careful.
A few months ago, a mutual acquaintance was attending a medical
rotation in Prague and was hit over the head and had his wallet taken.
While unconscious he had both legs severed by a tram.