Train from Germany to Prague: better to make a reservation ?

Old March 15th, 2004, 06:13 PM
G.C.

Default Train from Germany to Prague: better to make a reservation ?

Hello all
We (two adults) intend to go to Prague for a few days (probably 3 days) in
May. We will be travelling by car from Paris into Germany. I have tought to
go to Nuremberg, then reach Prague by train. We will be landing on May 9
probably in Paris, then get to Nuremberg about May 15.
Is is better to make a reservation for the train, or to buy the tickets on
the spot ? To buy two-ways tickets (to and from Prague) ? or buy the return
ticket in Prague ?
On the website of DeutscheBahn, there is a train from Nuremberg to Prague
direct for 43.80 Euros.
Or is there a better route, on the axis Nuremberg-Prague, to take the
train ?
I'll appreciate any input to my questions.
Gilles

Old March 15th, 2004, 07:44 PM
tile

since you are in Nuernberg.. you are very near Prague.
I would keep on going by car..
it is all turnpike in the czech republic..
so it will take you less than 2 hours from border to Prague.
form Nuernberg to border.
it is mostly highway (still under construction a small part.. )
so..
why losing time ??
go by car.
.. .

Old March 15th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Joe Pessarra

We agree with "tile". Keep going by car. You do need to let the car rental
agency know you wish to take the car to the Czech Republic. And you do need
to get the turnpike sticker for your windshield after going over the border.
Available at gas stations, stores, etc. We drove from Berlin to Prague and
back to Würzburg with no trouble at all. You can park the car in Prague,
and use the taxis. Not expensive at all for seeing most of the popular
spots in Prague.

Joe in Texas

"tile" wrote in message
since you are in Nuernberg.. you are very near Prague.
I would keep on going by car..
it is all turnpike in the czech republic..
so it will take you less than 2 hours from border to Prague.
form Nuernberg to border.
it is mostly highway (still under construction a small part.. )
so..
why losing time ??
go by car.
.. .

Old March 15th, 2004, 08:55 PM
tim

"tile" wrote in message
since you are in Nuernberg.. you are very near Prague.
I would keep on going by car..
it is all turnpike in the czech republic..

I think that you'll fine the missing link around Pilzen is not due
to be completed until 2005/6

It also needs to be made clear what you mean by 'turnpike' (I'd
interpret this as 'pay at a toll booth'?) but this is not the case
you have to by a 'vignette' (sp?) which you get at petrol stations
etc.

The OP will also be well advised to leave his car in secure
parking at this hotel. This will restrict his choice somewhat.

tim

so it will take you less than 2 hours from border to Prague.
form Nuernberg to border.
it is mostly highway (still under construction a small part.. )
so..
why losing time ??
go by car.
.. .

Old March 16th, 2004, 01:12 AM
Geoff McCaughan

Joe Pessarra wrote:
We agree with "tile". Keep going by car. You do need to let the car rental
agency know you wish to take the car to the Czech Republic. And you do need
to get the turnpike sticker for your windshield after going over the border.
Available at gas stations, stores, etc. We drove from Berlin to Prague and
back to Wurzburg with no trouble at all. You can park the car in Prague,
and use the taxis. Not expensive at all for seeing most of the popular
spots in Prague.

Avoid the ripoff taxis and just take the metro/tram.
Old March 16th, 2004, 01:14 AM
Geoff McCaughan

tim wrote:

It also needs to be made clear what you mean by 'turnpike' (I'd
interpret this as 'pay at a toll booth'?) but this is not the case
you have to by a 'vignette' (sp?) which you get at petrol stations
etc.

Is this new? We didn't have to pay anything in 2000 [well nobody said we
needed to and nobody asked if we had...]
Old March 16th, 2004, 07:48 AM
tile

yes
you are right
in Plzen there is no turnpike or highway

as you said, you have to pay for a sticker.

it will be checked sometimes along the highways
and sometimes at the border when you get out of czech rep.

I just wanted to point out that going by car from german border to Ptague
will be hassle free..

Of course. in prague you will have to park the car in a safe place.
and avoid taxis.
but in Prague you do not need taxis normally.
"tim" ha scritto nel messaggio

"tile" wrote in message
[...]

.. .

Old March 16th, 2004, 02:45 PM
G.C.

Thank you all for your comments. I'll probably go by car, cause I just
checked that my insurances cover that country.
I just found this site about driving in Prague
http://www.talkingcities.co.uk/pragu...there_road.htm,
and it refers to
If you do take the plunge, our golden rules for driving in Prague a
iv) research local road signs and markings, as many are unique to the Czech
Republic;...
Any URLs about these local road signs and markings ?
Thanks again
Gilles
Old March 16th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Joe Pessarra

"G.C." wrote in message
.. .
Thank you all for your comments. I'll probably go by car, cause I just
checked that my insurances cover that country.
I just found this site about driving in Prague
http://www.talkingcities.co.uk/pragu...there_road.htm,
and it refers to
If you do take the plunge, our golden rules for driving in Prague a
iv) research local road signs and markings, as many are unique to the

Czech
Republic;...
Any URLs about these local road signs and markings ?
Thanks again
Gilles

You might check out these sites:
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~sever/Czech.homepage.html

http://cdv.cz/english/text/branch/road/tr_s_voc.pdf

http://www.aer-net.co.uk/edr/czech2.htm

Last one may be the best. Good luck. Have a great trip.

Joe in Texas