Switzerland in February

Old March 22nd, 2006, 01:48 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Switzerland in February

I've been meaning to reply back to this group with a thank-you to all
the people that responded to my post a few months back regarding a trip
to Switzerland I was taking in the winter. Here's my itinerary, in
case anyone is planning a similar strip around the cold months:

I stayed in Bern (hotel Bellevue Palace) and took the train everywhere
(about 1/2hr-1 1/2 hour trips, depending on where you're headed).
Although a railpass seemed expensive, it was worth it. No questions
asked, plenty of discounts. First class definitely seemed to not be
worth the extra cost (I got 2nd class and didn't see any major
difference with first class seating). I skipped the Glacier express -
I couldn't stand being in a train for a such long time (and, I didn't
regret it).

Bern is a great city but would probably get boring if you stayed there
more than 10 days or so. I skipped hotel dining and opted for a local
restaurants; don't miss out on rotsi

For day trips, I headed to Murren, Lucerne, Thun, Gimmelwald, and
surrounding regions.

Don't-miss:
- Hike from the Grütschalp to Murren in the snow. Beautiful!
- Rent sleds from Murren and sled down to Gimmelwald. Take a gondola
back up.
- Pension Gimmelwald's Ovamaltine and fresh milk.
- Lausanne (and Château de Chillon nearby).
- Thun & Lucerne
- Belgian waffles sold by street vendor in Bern
- Weekend street market (selling fruits, veggies, bread, and cheese)

Didn't care for:
- The Piz Gloria restaurant on top of the Schilthorn. a) You'll get
dizzy in the spinning restaurant (it spins too fast) b) food is bad c)
tourist-trap. The view was great, but money can be better spent.
- Interlaken - tourist trap. Swiss-army knife stores, oh my! Only to
be used as a hub to other destinations.