Travel advice for Costa Rica

Old April 12th, 2007, 04:23 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
TimK

Default Travel advice for Costa Rica

Hi,

I'll be in Costa Rica for only a week and would like to visit Arenal,
Monteverde, and the Guanacaste coast. The shuttles that I've found
advertised online seem pretty expensive. Considering I'll be doing
all this traveling in such a short period of time, I wonder if it will
be less expensive and easier just to rent a car.

I would really appreciate some advice.

Will it be possible just to get a taxi to Arenal at the Liberia
airport that will be less than the $125 for a private shuttle?

Would people recommend just renting a car?

Thanks,
Tim

Old April 13th, 2007, 07:43 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
G&G

I'd e-mail the Aernal Lodge about the cost of a shuttle or taxi from Liberia
airport.
We usually rent a SUV from one of the U.S. companies. Some of the roads are
a bit difficult for a car, but it is nice to be able to explore.
Where are you staying?
Pura Vida,
Glo.
oups.com...

Old April 13th, 2007, 07:51 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Nick and Judy

We were there a few years ago and rented a small 4WD vehicle. Drove from San
Jose to Monteverde. The highway up to the turn-off to Monteverde is a great
road but as soon as you turn off for Monteverde you are on a road that is
unbelievably bad: unpaved, deep potholes, rocks. We could only go about
10-15mph. Once in Monteverde it wasn't too bad but we only drove from the
hotel to go out to eat. We had shuttle for the Canopy tour pick us up at the
hotel. Then we drove from Monteverde to Arenal going around the lake. I
can't remeber the name of the town between Monteverde and Arenal, but most
of the road was very bad until you got to that town. AFter that the road was
paved with the exception of the "bridges" when going by the lake. No guard
rails and the section of the road over the bridge was dirt and potholed. It
had been raining earlier in the day and water was dripping down the side of
the hill over the road. I was going a little too fast thinking that road was
now paved all the way through to Arenal, slid on the muddy dirt part and
went right off the road down about 15 feet into some rushes and reeds on the
lake side of the road right near the Botanical Gardens. Luckily a truck was
coming by and saw it happen and helped us out. We weren't hurt, but the car
had to be towed up out of the embankment The rental car company had to send
us a car from San Jose while we waited for 4 hours at the Botanical Garden.
Then we continued on to our destination at the Tabacon Hot Springs.

Anyhow I am not trying to discourage you from renting a car or going to CR,
because we had a great trip in spite of the accident, but just be VERY
careful esp if it has recently rained, and realize what looks like a short
distance on the map mileage-wise may take hours depending on the roads. I
just looked at a website and they give the drive time from San Jose to
Monteverde as 5 hours and I think 3 of that was on the rough road. In a week
you may not have enough time to go to Arenal/Monteverde and also the
Guanacaste coast. If you go to Monteverde, DO NOT MISS GOING ON A CANOPY
TOUR! It was incredible.

However if you are flying into Liberia, you may have enough time. Google
"driving time from Liberia to Monteverde" What time of the year are you
going?

Old April 14th, 2007, 02:55 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
TimK

Glo."TimK" wrote in message

oups.com...

Hi,

I'll be in Costa Rica for only a week and would like to visitArenal,
Monteverde, and the Guanacaste coast. The shuttles that I've found
advertised online seem pretty expensive. Considering I'll be doing
all this traveling in such a short period of time, I wonder if it will
be less expensive and easier just to rent a car.

I would really appreciate some advice.

Will it be possible just to get ataxitoArenalat theLiberia
airport that will be less than the $125 for a private shuttle?

Would people recommend just renting a car?

Thanks,
Tim

Thanks for the info. We're staying at The Volcano Lodge in Arenal.

Tim

Old April 14th, 2007, 04:25 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Gene Kelly

I'd rent a car. Everything by Arenal is pretty spread out and it will come
in handy there.

--
Capt Gene Kelly
Tropical Fishing Adventures
"TimK" wrote in message
ps.com...

Old April 24th, 2007, 03:18 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Humberto Gonzalez

Hello there!!!

I would definitely recommend you to rent a car for your visit to Costa Rica. A small 4x4 will be handy and affordable. And you will be able to go any where at any time without depending on the scheduled transportation.
Please let me know if you need any other suggestions or information for your vacation planning in paradise.

Best regards from Costa Rica,

Humberto Gonzalez
Travel Advisor

www.Montezuma-Hotels.com