New England Road Trip

Old September 23rd, 2004, 08:52 PM
kassa

"Bill B" wrote in message ...
Skip Vermont, RI, CT. They're beautiful, but with only 6 days you want
highlights. Or you could just drive the Maine coast to Acadia National Park
and spend the whole time there (throw in Freeport - Bean! and Portland,
too).

I agree with skipping CT. There's nothing there in terms of geography
that other states don't do better. Newport, Rhode Island has
wonderful mansions and the scenery is nice, however. You could
combine that with Lexington/Concord (especially if you like
Emerson/Thoreau/Alcott, if not Revolutionary War stuff) in a couple of
days. Boston can easily take a week to savor, but it sounds like
you're more interested in seeing the countryside, which is fine.

I'd urge you to spend the bulk of your time on the coast of Maine and
the mountains of New Hampshire, simply to save time, but the mountains
in Vermont are certainly more impressive.

If you plan to skip Boston, I'd say you could see a lot of Maine/NH/VT
in 6 days without TOO much driving, provided you carefully planned
where to overnight, and made two day trips from each place.

Also, don't let the size fool you. Our roads were not planned by
people with the luxury to lay out 100 miles in a straight line. If
you get off the interstate, the roads will meander, as they simply
paved over the original paths between villages, which followed old
property lines and streams and such. That's part of New England's
charm, but in the pouring rain behind a 100 other leaf peepers, it can
mean a hassle.

(Oh, and many are toll roads, so get a supply of small bills!)

kassa
Old September 24th, 2004, 06:26 AM
Fleemo

You guys are GREAT! Thank you for all your wonderful input. Janey,
that online trip planner is *perfect*! Thanks for the link to that.
I can finally get my head around the drive times involved.

I may have more questions, but at this point, I just want to say
THANKS!

-F

Old September 25th, 2004, 02:12 AM
Everyboysmomma

"MLD" wrote in message news:lZA4d.6258$sa.921@trndny05...
Heading North, you can go from Boston to the Canadian border, Calais, in
abut 6 hrs with stops. It isn't the driving time as it is how much time
you
want to spend looking around in all the sightseeing spots in New
Hampshire,
Mass and Maine. Also, you don't want to spend your time on the turnpike
(I95) so the lesser roads --Rt 1, for example, will be slower and take
more
time. You can't go wrong with a broad based plan and letting the small
stuff fall out as you go along.
MLD
"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
Yes. Unless you really love being on the road every day; then, I guess
it's perfect. Your choice!

Well, we definitely want to see as much of New England as possible,
but I don't want to spend the entire Honeymoon in the car. I'm having
a hard time grasping the driving times. See, in Northern California,
it takes about two hours to get from San Francisco to Sacramento. But
I think you get can across all of New Hampshire in that amount of
time, can't you? So hitting a couple of New England states doesn't
seem quite as daunting as driving around Northern California.

Just In Case you're not already making use of it, try out a Road-trip
planner software to help you determine what is and what's not

comfortably
and reasonably possible.

Good advice. I wonder if they have that out for the Mac?

Too much driving??? That's a joke. You can drive through all the
New England states in about two hours.

That's my point. Having never been to New England, I'm not sure if
I'm biting off more than I can chew by visiting a different state
every day. :{

-F

I'd love to know what you guys are driving. We live in Cape Elizabeth ME,
just outside Portland. It is 45 minutes on I-95 from here to the NH border
in Portsmouth. From here north it takes more than 5 hours to get to Calais.
So that is approximately 6 hours just in Maine. From the NH border to
Boston is another good hour and a half. So plan on driving from Boston to
Calais in more like 8 hours. And that is not during peak foliage season.
And don't even get me *started* on what happens on Route 1 !!
Momma