What to do at 1:05 AM in SIN?

Old January 16th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Dennis G. Rears

Default What to do at 1:05 AM in SIN?

"Reef Fish" wrote in message
om...
"Dennis G. Rears" wrote in message

Reef Fish" wrote in message
om...

These are the most common schedules on late flights:

(1) Flights to Europe, from EWR, to London, Paris, Rome, etc.
Leave EWR 10:00-11:00 pm. Arrive Europe destination 5:00-6:00 am.
Very sensible.

Wow, talk about fast flights. Only an hour of flight time from EWR to
Europe once the 6 hour time difference is factored in.

dennis

Dennis, you must have never flown anywhere!

Last four years, I have flown 6 flights EWR-Europe and 2 flights
EWR-Australia and many domestic (USA, AU, Europe).

Did you not know that the arrival and departure times are always given
in LOCAL times (so the time difference is already factored in)?

Correct. Departure time is local to departure site. Arrival time is local
to arrival site. I have never seen a Europe flight advertised as Leave
10:PM (USA EST) and Arrive 5:00 AM (USA EST).

Since you posted from army.mil, are YOU the living proof that
"military intelligence" is an oxymoron? :-)

I think you are wrong on this one.

dennis

Old January 16th, 2004, 07:21 PM
DALing

I guess they forget that unless you are ET and phoning home you really don't
CARE what time it is where you left (except to figure out "OH, that's why
I'm soooo tired!")

Old January 17th, 2004, 04:01 AM
Reef Fish

"Dennis G. Rears" wrote in message ...
"Reef Fish" wrote in message
om...

Dennis, you must have never flown anywhere!

Last four years, I have flown 6 flights EWR-Europe and 2 flights
EWR-Australia and many domestic (USA, AU, Europe).

Over the same period, I've flown about half a million miles, about
half domestic (USA), and half to Europe, Asia, AU, and various
South Pacific locations. That didn't keep me from making the
careless ERROR *I* made though, about the actual arrival and
departure TIMES.

Did you not know that the arrival and departure times are always given
in LOCAL times (so the time difference is already factored in)?

Correct. Departure time is local to departure site. Arrival time is local
to arrival site. I have never seen a Europe flight advertised as Leave
10:PM (USA EST) and Arrive 5:00 AM (USA EST).

You are of course correct.

On Date: 2004-01-15 19:58:06 PST, about 12 hours before your present post,

Date: 2004-01-16 08:17:42 PST (no time zone change here :-))

I had confessed my error in reply to a post by Miguel Cruz,

RF The last time I flew to London from EWR two months ago, the departure
RF and arrival times were actually 6:40 pm and 6:30 am.

RF You're both correct. I stand corrected! Thanks.

RF I got the European departure time mixed up with the West coast
RF red-eye departure times. :-) I flew those routes so many times
RF that the only thing that mattered was that departu late as
RF dark sky; and arrival: morning with sunlight. :-))

Since you posted from army.mil, are YOU the living proof that
"military intelligence" is an oxymoron? :-)

I think you are wrong on this one.

dennis

Sorry about the oxymoron crack. I was the REAL moron this time. :-)

Thanks to both again, for correcting my careless error.

Thanks to the info given by RWEmerson, I'll be killing 6 hours
after the 1:05 am arrival at the "transit hotel" at the airport,
so that when I leave the airport, it WILL be morning (as in
having daylight).

-- Bob.