Heathrow - Seattle

Old January 16th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Simon

Default Heathrow - Seattle

Hi all,

My family and I are flying Heathrow - Seattle in July with American Airlines
(AA86 / AA87). This is described as direct but with one stop (Chicago).
Anyone know whether the stop will involve getting off the plane or a change
of aircraft?

Appreciate any feedback on this route.

thanks,

Simon

Old January 16th, 2004, 09:48 AM
nobody

Simon wrote:
My family and I are flying Heathrow - Seattle in July with American Airlines
(AA86 / AA87). This is described as direct but with one stop (Chicago).
Anyone know whether the stop will involve getting off the plane or a change
of aircraft?

With current security fears/fud in the USA, it is very ulikely that they woudl
relax rules sufficiently to allow a simple stopover.

You will have to get off the plane, go through immigration, claim luggage, go
through customs, recheck luggage, go through security again.

The "direct" only means that you have one flight number and greater
responsability on the part of airline to accomodate you should you miss the
connection to seattle.

There were, in the past some flights in the USA that were bonded and allowed
international uncleared passengers to continue to a second city where they
cleared immigration/customs. But those were quick to disapear after 9-11.

AA once had a big poster at JFK announcing "Nonstop New York to Tokyo via
Dallas". So the meaning of non-stop and direct seems to be very liberal for
American Airlines.
Old January 16th, 2004, 09:52 AM
mrraveltay

Simon wrote:

Hi all,

My family and I are flying Heathrow - Seattle in July with American Airlines
(AA86 / AA87). This is described as direct but with one stop (Chicago).
Anyone know whether the stop will involve getting off the plane or a change
of aircraft?

Checking for July 16-28, since you didn't give dates

87 is a 777 out of LHR, a Super 80 (MD80) out of ORD

86 is the same. Super 80 SEA-ORD, 777 ORD-LHR

For your exact dates, you could go through the early part of booking the
flight on aa.com. Then, when it shows you all of the flights, click on
"flight details"

Old January 16th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Chip

Default Troll Morphing Heathrow - Seattle

mrraveltay wrote:

the usual drivel
Jesus man, I've got your sorry ass filtered four ways from Sunday. Your
constant morphing is verging on abuse.

Old January 16th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Simon

Thanks all for the advice. We were about to book the BA flights at around
£2900 for 5 of us but last week Opodo threw up the American Airlines flight
briefly at £1337 again for all 5 of us. Although its a longer haul and will
involve a change of planes it will release funds to make the holiday more
memorable. Beggars can't be choosers!!

Simon

Old January 16th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

"Simon" wrote:

My family and I are flying Heathrow - Seattle in July with American Airlines
(AA86 / AA87). This is described as direct but with one stop (Chicago).
Anyone know whether the stop will involve getting off the plane or a change
of aircraft?

At a minimum, you will need to deplane and clear immigration, security and
customs. Changing planes becomes a moot point!
Old January 16th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

nobody wrote:

AA once had a big poster at JFK announcing "Nonstop New York to Tokyo via
Dallas". So the meaning of non-stop and direct seems to be very liberal for
American Airlines.

No kidding! TWA used to have a single flight number from Albuquerque to
somewhere in Europe that required changing planes twice.
Old January 16th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Olivers

Simon muttered....

Thanks all for the advice. We were about to book the BA flights at
around £2900 for 5 of us but last week Opodo threw up the American
Airlines flight briefly at £1337 again for all 5 of us. Although its a
longer haul and will involve a change of planes it will release funds
to make the holiday more memorable. Beggars can't be choosers!!

A. You would have had to change planes somewhere in the US, for I can't
envision BA offering a nonstop to SEA, but what was likely a code share
continuation changing at JFK.

B. Using the Great Circle northerly routing favored by the airlines, ORD's
really only about an hour longer than JFK from LHR, while the ORD/SEA leg
will be more than an hour less than JFK/SEA, actually making the journey
shorter..

C. If it's AA, it could have been LHR/DFW/SEA, so consider yourself and
family fortunate.

D. Best of all AA has on both segments substantially greater leg room in
Economy.

E. Do anything to get seats close to the front in an MD80, the cabins of
which were designed by the same folks who make the King Oscar sardine can
and the aluminum tubes for Bering seegars. The back is claustrophobic and
unloading can take a half a day ;-)

TMO