39% of Americans believe Bush should be impeached.

Old July 8th, 2007, 03:03 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.true-crime,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.divx,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Sparrow

Default 39% of Americans believe Bush should be impeached.

Read all about it, he http://Muvy.org

Old July 8th, 2007, 03:34 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.true-crime,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.divx,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
George Graves

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 19:03:32 -0700, Sparrow wrote
(in article om):

Read all about it, he http://Muvy.org

OK, I'm all for it. What are the charges? Remember, these have to be
legitimate charges, instances where he broke US law. You can't impeach a
president because you disagree with his policies. What we need in this
country is a recall procedure where the people can vote "no confidence" to a
sitting administration like they do in Great Britain. Then, the president
doesn't need to be guilty of a crime, he just needs to not please the
citizenry with his policies.

Old July 8th, 2007, 04:03 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.true-crime,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.divx,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
James Davis

On Jul 7, 9:34 pm, George Graves wrote:
What we need in this
country is a recall procedure where the people can vote "no confidence" to a
sitting administration like they do in Great Britain.

Right now about 30% of Americans are very happy with President Bush,
who was elected by a 51% majority. While I personally believe he's a
moron, there is no rule that says it's undemocratic for a president to
only please 30% of the population. There could be some time in the
future where angering 70% of the population is the right thing to do.
If you had to please the majority of people, then we wouldn't even
elect presidents. We would just vote on issues and the majority vote
would decide what to do.

It would be unfair to the 30% of Americans who like Bush to impeach
him unless he has done something illegal. He won the vote, so he is
the president. Besides, he doesn't have any power to do anything that
70% of Congress disagrees with. If his actions are so bad, they can
be democratically overridden by others.

You can't just do away with the rules of democracy because they are
giving you the results you want.

Old July 8th, 2007, 04:11 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.true-crime,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Matthew L. Martin

George Graves wrote:
On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 19:03:32 -0700, Sparrow wrote (in article
om):

Read all about it, he http://Muvy.org

OK, I'm all for it. What are the charges? Remember, these have to be
legitimate charges, instances where he broke US law.

That is not what the US Constitution says. It says:

the President, Vice President, and all civil officers of the United
States shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and
conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes and
misdemeanors.”

"high crimes and misdemeanors" means whatever a majority of the House of
Representatives says it means (See: impeachment of Bill Clinton).
Conviction of said offense is up to a two thirds majority of the Senate.
Being unable to secure a simple majority in the Senate in the case of
Bill Clinton it is clear that simple perjury is insufficient cause to
impeach, much less convict, a sitting president.

This is just as well as any prosecutor worth the name can get an
indictment of a ham sandwich. A partisan majority in the House may
impeach for jaywalking, but the Senate must agree that jaywalking is a
"high crime or misdemeanor".

Matthew

--
I'm a consultant. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?
Old July 8th, 2007, 04:42 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.true-crime,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.divx,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
none[_3_]

James Davis wrote:

Right now about 30% of Americans are very happy with President Bush,
who was elected by a 51% majority.

incorrect, Gore won the election by the "majority" of the american
public, only in how the electoral college is setup did, bush sneak in.

While I personally believe he's a
moron, there is no rule that says it's undemocratic for a president to
only please 30% of the population.

duh! but it's unprecedented to have such a poor performing president in
american history.

Old July 8th, 2007, 05:09 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.true-crime,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.divx,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
James

On Jul 7, 7:03 pm, Sparrow wrote:
39% of Americans believe Bush should be impeached.
Read all about it, hehttp://Muvy.org

The linked article says, "Americans under 30 are far more supportive
of impeachment than their elders. Among those youngest adults, 56%
believe the President should be impeached and removed from office."
America has a bright future. Our youth is smarter and wiser than the
older generation.

Old July 8th, 2007, 05:09 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.true-crime,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.divx,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
G-squared

On Jul 7, 8:42 pm, none wrote:
James Davis wrote:
[...]

Perhaps you remember the 2004 election where he did indeed get 51% of
the popular vote.

GG

Old July 8th, 2007, 05:31 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.true-crime,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.divx,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
none[_3_]

G-squared wrote:

You can't just do away with the rules of democracy because they are
giving you the results you want.

Perhaps you remember the 2004 election where he did indeed get 51% of
the popular vote.

but we'll never know that for sure....
Old July 8th, 2007, 07:01 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.true-crime,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.divx,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
George Graves

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 20:03:44 -0700, James Davis wrote
(in article . com):

On Jul 7, 9:34 pm, George Graves wrote:
What we need in this
country is a recall procedure where the people can vote "no confidence" to a
sitting administration like they do in Great Britain.

Right now about 30% of Americans are very happy with President Bush,
who was elected by a 51% majority. While I personally believe he's a
moron, there is no rule that says it's undemocratic for a president to
only please 30% of the population. There could be some time in the
future where angering 70% of the population is the right thing to do.
If you had to please the majority of people, then we wouldn't even
elect presidents. We would just vote on issues and the majority vote
would decide what to do.

I understand that and its sorta my point.

It would be unfair to the 30% of Americans who like Bush to impeach
him unless he has done something illegal.

As I said. I think he's a lousy president who has done ABSOLUTELY nothing in
his second term except to defend his flawed policy in Iraq. Not one piece of
legislation has he introduced! But until he actually breaks the law, he is,
AFAIK, unimpeachable.

He won the vote, so he is
the president. Besides, he doesn't have any power to do anything that
70% of Congress disagrees with. If his actions are so bad, they can
be democratically overridden by others.

Also true.

You can't just do away with the rules of democracy because they are
giving you the results you want.

Again, that's pretty much my point.

Old July 8th, 2007, 07:22 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.true-crime,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.divx,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
George Graves

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 20:42:56 -0700, none wrote
(in article ):

James Davis wrote:

Right now about 30% of Americans are very happy with President Bush,
who was elected by a 51% majority.

incorrect, Gore won the election by the "majority" of the american
public, only in how the electoral college is setup did, bush sneak in.

While I personally believe he's a
moron, there is no rule that says it's undemocratic for a president to
only please 30% of the population.

duh! but it's unprecedented to have such a poor performing president in
american history.

Unprecedented, it might be. Illegal, it is not. Robert Bolt once wrote a play
called "A man for all Seasons" in which Sir Thomas Moore, Chancelor of
England was having a philosophical argument with his daughter's fiance, a
young lawyer named Roper about an unwanted house guest who had just left:

*Roper: Sir Thomas, arrest that man, he is bad.
Sir Thomas: On what charge?
Roper: Charge? He's evil.
Sir Thomas: There's no law against that.
Daughter: While you two argue, he's gone.
Sir Thomas: And go he should, until he's broken the law.
Roper: I suppose now that you would give the Devil the benefit of the law?
Sir Thomas: Wouldn't you?
Roper: NO. I'd cut down every law in England to get after the Devil.
Sir Thomas: And with the laws all cut down, and the Devil turned 'round upon
you, Where would you hide then, young Roper; the laws all being flat? This
country is planted thick with laws, God's laws and man's and if we cut them
down to go after ANY Devil, who could stand in the wind that would then
blow?Yes, I'd give the Devil the benefit of the law, FOR MY OWN SAFETY'S
SAKE!

*This is paraphrased from memory, I don't have the text handy, but this is
the gist of the conversation

Sage words, and worth remembering. Bush is the worst president in US history,
yet go he should until he breaks the law, and we cannot circumvent the law
just to rid ourselves of a terrible leader. If we do, we'll have more serious
problems that simply a bad president.

Also, we need to be careful that we don't elect a worse one simply because
the candidate isn't George Bush. I'm very afraid that we might just do that.