Why do people live in Florida?

Old September 12th, 2004, 11:18 PM
fideauxdon

I've lived in Florida for 25 years, as of April. This year, I
experienced my first hurricane. A neighbor's tree punched a small hole
in my screened porch roof, which cost me $4.00 worth of epoxy to
repair. I've enjoyed great beaches, low living costs, including no
state income taxes, and a great family atmosphere. I can ignore the
fact that the state is governed by the brother of our befuddled
president.

What's your excuse for living where you live??

Old September 12th, 2004, 11:25 PM
AC

I'd suggest that you're all right to a degree.

The way I would suggest it works, is that many (if not, all) people are born
with a certain propensity to behave anti-socially.

Using that logic, to class someone as a born killer is only half right -
some people will leave it at road-rage, or petty nastiness, and others will
take it to the limit.

Another big factor, is the benefit/gain situation, in which - if someone has
nothing "to live for", or a series of painful, unresolved issues in their
past, then the prospect of being incarcerated/incinerated by society for
their lack of restraint, is weighed up by the individual's assessment of the
value of their current situation. Not all criminals are simply idiots,
acting on impulse.

We need to recognise these people a lot better, and help them before it's
too late. If the stigma society attaches to seeking, or receiving
psycological help was removed for a starter, we might be on the right
track...

"Terry Gowan" t wrote in
message ink.net...
"AC" wrote in message

Babies aren't born killers.

Society shapes them into killers.

If Society is responsible for shaping babies into killers, why don't we

have
more killers? Does Society single out a few babies for this shaping
process? Is there some kind of entrance exam for babies to take in order

get into the right programs?

My heart bleeds for kids who have a-holes for parents, or no parents at

all
and spend their entire childhoods in orphanages or in and out of crappy
foster homes. Abuse is a difficult thing to overcome. But, as an adult,
every killer or criminal makes his or her own choices. And when one of

them
kills one of your family members, come talk to me about the method by

which
you want to see them executed.

Terry Gowan

---

Old September 13th, 2004, 12:42 AM
eüphemism

"AC" wrote in message
[...]

Psychological help? I'm sorry, but there are no treatments for people like
Ted Bundy and such individuals aren't about to seek help under any
circumstances. They are like wolves that hunt among us. We could probably
predict, via genetic testing, whether "serial killer" markers present in an
infant (or just about any other deviant behavioral pattern) are likely lead
to tragic ends in many individuals. What good would that be? You certainly
couldn't act on that information - even if it were shown to be highly
reliable. The only possible action would be to remove those individuals
from society based upon the presumption that they were a danger. We
certainly don't know how to correct the problems.

Seems to me there was a Tom Cruise movie on that sort of topic - predicting
future crimes and arresting the suspect in advance. Great concept....
except that the person is, by definition, not guilty.

I suspect that the future is a little more along the Twilight Zone lines of
being able to detect and predict all sorts of abnormal tendencies or
predispositions and then perform "adjustments" in the womb. The question
then becomes just how monochromatic you want to have your species become as
you achieve the ability to micro-manage your offspring's genetic make-up.
Sure... nobody wants to give birth to a future serial killer. What about
"fixing" children that would be born with emotional problems that would
surely torment them all their lives, but also might produce the next van
Gogh? The random nature of our reproductive process gives us plenty of
rejects, but it also coughs up an occasional Triple 7 like Einstein or da
Vinci.

If you still believe that children are "blank slates" and that all "deviant"
behavior is learned, then there's no point in us chatting. The apparent
role that genetics plays in determining who we become appears to grow with
each passing year and each new discovery.

Old September 13th, 2004, 02:15 AM
HoTShoT

fact that the state is governed by the brother of our befuddled
president.

Were you alive during World War II?

You sound like another sucker listening to the media. Did it ever occur to
you that CNN and Fox news don't know "top secret" events going on around the
world? Or do you think they are privy to that and top ranking cabinet
members are going to tell? Are you really so impressionable that you think
George W. Bush would authorized a war and billions of dollars for cheaper
gasoline? Obviously you are naive. Anyone that thinks it's normal to allow a
dictator who killed tens of thousands of his own people with poison gas is
befuddled. Sadaam a little like the person we fought against in a World War
called Hitler!

Unfortunately to stay safe here, we cannot sit on our hands and let a wacko
build up power and weapons. He was testing the crap out on his own people,
who do you think was next? When a man is as rich and powerful as Sadam or
other leaders, the only thing left to feed the beast is conquering, and we
sir, are the biggest prize of all.

Wake up and smell the coffee and use your brain and think for yourself.

Old September 13th, 2004, 04:09 AM
HoTShoT

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message
Now it is possible that he was dumb enough to be fooled by inadequate
intelligence.

The only one fooled is yourself by listening to the news. How many thousands
of innocent people needed to be killed by gases before it was considered a
worthy cause? When you can kill thousands of people with little effort, I
would say that is a weapon of mass destruction. Nobody argues that Sadam
kill thousands of Kurds.

Would you have rather waited until he used it in the U.S.? I guess you
forgot about the anthrax that was sent through the postal service.

Fortunately the people who know what goes on in the world have the power to
do something about it rather than wait until a weapon of mass destruction
like poison gas is released in NYC killing millions.

Old September 13th, 2004, 04:52 AM
IN-10-CITY

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 23:09:52 -0400, "HoTShoT" @ wrote:

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message
Now it is possible that he was dumb enough to be fooled by inadequate
intelligence.

The only one fooled is yourself by listening to the news. How many thousands
of innocent people needed to be killed by gases before it was considered a
worthy cause? When you can kill thousands of people with little effort, I
would say that is a weapon of mass destruction. Nobody argues that Sadam
kill thousands of Kurds.

Would you have rather waited until he used it in the U.S.? I guess you
forgot about the anthrax that was sent through the postal service.

Fortunately the people who know what goes on in the world have the power to
do something about it rather than wait until a weapon of mass destruction
like poison gas is released in NYC killing millions.

News Release: Teacher Arrested!

At New York's Kennedy airport today, an individual later discovered to
be a public school teacher was arrested trying to board a flight while
in possession of a ruler, a protractor, a set square, a slide rule,
and a calculator. At a morning press conference, Attorney general John
Ashcroft said he believes the man is a member of the notorious
al-gebra movement.

He is being charged by the FBI with carrying weapons of math
instruction.

"Al-gebra is a fearsome cult," Ashcroft said. "They desire average
solutions by means and extremes, and sometimes go off on tangents in a
search of absolute value.

They use secret code names like 'x'and 'y' and refer to themselves as
'unknowns', but we have determined they belong to a common denominator
of the axis of medieval with coordinates in every country. As the
Greek philanderer Isosceles used to say, 'there are 3 sides to every
triangle'."

When asked to comment on the arrest, President Bush said, "If God had
wanted us to have better weapons of math instruction, He would have
given us more fingers and toes."

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity,
but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Old September 13th, 2004, 05:11 AM
Miguel Cruz

In article , HoTShoT @ wrote:
Unfortunately to stay safe here, we cannot sit on our hands and let a
wacko build up power and weapons. He was testing the crap out on his own
people, who do you think was next? When a man is as rich and powerful as
Sadam or other leaders, the only thing left to feed the beast is
conquering, and we sir, are the biggest prize of all.

That's right, just before we showed up, Saddam hat outfitted each of his 17
tanks with a map across the ocean floor to Washington, DC. It was only a
matter of time.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 30 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu