Driver Licensing not about highway safety

Old September 18th, 2007, 05:57 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
proffsl

Default Driver Licensing not about highway safety

Driver Licensing serves no purpose for highway safety that laws
against endangerment did not already serve, and instead only serves
fiscal greed.

Read about it at: http://proffsl.110mb.com/driver_licensing.php

Old September 18th, 2007, 11:55 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alohacyberian

"proffsl" wrote in message
oups.com...
Driver Licensing serves no purpose for highway safety that laws
against endangerment did not already serve, and instead only serves
fiscal greed.

I don't agree, but, driver licensing is here to stay. Might as well get
used to it. If it were fiscal greed, it would cost a couple hundred dollars
to get a license. License information also helps solve a lot of crimes,
offer identification and let others know that the people with the licenses
had to provide some proof that they were somewhat competent to drive motor
vehicles. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website view over 3,600 live cameras or
visit NASA, the Vatican, the Smithsonian, the Louvre, CIA, FBI, and

Old September 18th, 2007, 02:31 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_2_]

Alohacyberian wrote on Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:55:26 GMT:

A "proffsl" wrote in message
oups.com...
?? Driver Licensing serves no purpose for highway safety that
?? laws against endangerment did not already serve, and
?? instead only serves fiscal greed.
??
A I don't agree, but, driver licensing is here to stay. Might
A as well get used to it. If it were fiscal greed, it would
A cost a couple hundred dollars to get a license. License
A information also helps solve a lot of crimes, offer
A identification and let others know that the people with the
A licenses had to provide some proof that they were somewhat
A competent to drive motor vehicles. KM

You could probably make a case against car license plates too!
At one time, you could get used to the pattern in a state. which
facilitated reading quickly. It's much more complicated now in
my state of MD. We have ABC123, 1AB C23, 123M456, M12345, vanity
plates, private organizational plates like UMD 1234 and I don't
know what else. They don't even issue new plates unless you ask
for them or, sometimes, buy a new car but it's a healthy hunk of
change each year for the little plastic sticker!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old September 19th, 2007, 10:46 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alohacyberian

"James Silverton" wrote in message
Alohacyberian wrote on Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:55:26 GMT:

A "proffsl" wrote in message
A oups.com...
[...]

Yes, license plates, stickers and registrations are a much better example of
fiscal greed than are driver licenses. I suppose the original poster may be
sour-grapes because s/he had a license revoked and probably for good reason.
KM

Old September 19th, 2007, 08:14 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith[_2_]

Alohacyberian wrote:

"proffsl" wrote in message
oups.com...
Driver Licensing serves no purpose for highway safety that laws
against endangerment did not already serve, and instead only serves
fiscal greed.

I don't agree, but, driver licensing is here to stay. Might as well get
used to it. If it were fiscal greed, it would cost a couple hundred dollars
to get a license. License information also helps solve a lot of crimes,
offer identification and let others know that the people with the licenses
had to provide some proof that they were somewhat competent to drive motor
vehicles.

That article is a crock. Driver licensing does ensure that drivers have
completed written and road tests to demonstrate that they understand the
traffic laws in their state or province and that they are capable of
handling a motor vehicle safely. Enforcement of rules of the road is a way
to try to force compliance with the law, and liability suits are yet
another means of forcing compliance. Unfortuneatley, too many people think
only of themselves and refuse to accept that they could be caught in
violation or get into an accident.

Licensing standards have improved road safety. Graduated licensing for new
drivers has improved road safety. Medical suspensions for people with
physical and mental problems have improved road safety. Demerit points for
driving violations have improved road safety. To suggest that there is no
merit to driver licensing is just plain foolish.

I worked for a short time as a driver examiner and I can tell you how bad
some of those new drivers are, and how bad some of the senior drivers are.
Some people should not be allowed behind the wheel of a car.
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alan S[_1_]

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:57:54 -0700, proffsl
wrote:

Driver Licensing serves no purpose for highway safety that laws
against endangerment did not already serve, and instead only serves
fiscal greed.

Read about it at: http://proffsl.110mb.com/driver_licensing.php

I did read a few of your pages - that one, education,
creation. I kept going just to see if you managed to
actually write something intelligent.

You're a twit. Seek help.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old September 22nd, 2007, 05:17 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
proffsl

"Alohacyberian" wrote:
"proffsl" wrote in message

Driver Licensing serves no purpose for highway safety that laws
against endangerment did not already serve, and instead only
serves fiscal greed.

I don't agree, but, driver licensing is here to stay. Might as well get
used to it.

With an attitude like that, it's sure to prolong it's life. BUT,
nothing is here to stay. We live in a world where everthing comes to
an end. Get use to it. And, in the mean time, get use to the idea of
standing up for your Rights.

If it were fiscal greed, it would cost a couple hundred dollars
to get a license.

Driver Licensing. License Plates. Tickets for not wearing a seat belt.
Auto inspections. Mandatory Liability (how do you think insurance
companies got that pushed through, if not by shoving money into
somebody's pocket?)

In addition to fiscal greed, it's also about fiscal exertion of
"authority" over citizens, as if we are their subjects.

License information also helps solve a lot of crimes,

We are not obligated to sacrifice our Rights in order to make the
police's job easire. Fact it, the job of the police is to secure our
Rights.

offer identification

There are pleanty of non-mandatory methods of proving one's identity,
if one feels the urge to do so.

and let others know that the people with the licenses
had to provide some proof that they were somewhat
competent to drive motor vehicles.

We do not OWE it to the public to prove we are unlikely to endanger
others before being allowed to exercise something that is our Right.

"[The Individual] owes nothing to the public so long as he does not
trespass upon their rights." -- Hale vs. Hinkel, 201 US 43, 74-75 -
http://laws.findlaw.com/us/201/43.html#74

Driver licensing does nothing for highway safety that laws against
endangerment didn't already serve. Virtually everybody who tries,
successfully gets a driver license. Those who end up taking it twice,
usually falied their first attempt not because of an inability to
drive safely, but rather due to confusing questions. Virtually
everybody over the age of 12 CAN drive a car safely. The question is
WILL they drive safely, and driver licensing CAN NOT answer that
question.

Read about it at: http://proffsl.110mb.com/driver_licensing.php

Old September 22nd, 2007, 05:21 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
proffsl

On Sep 19, 4:46 am, "Alohacyberian" wrote:
"James Silverton" wrote in message
Alohacyberian wrote on Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:55:26 GMT:

A "proffsl" wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

Typical Ad Hominem responce. Instead of discussing the issue at hand,
you'd rather discuss your suppositions about the writer.

Ad Hominems are a sign of mental sloth behavior.

Old September 22nd, 2007, 06:15 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Carole Allen[_1_]

With an attitude like that, it's sure to prolong it's life. BUT,
nothing is here to stay. We live in a world where everthing comes to
an end. Get use to it. And, in the mean time, get use to the idea of
standing up for your Rights.

We are not obligated to sacrifice our Rights in order to make the
police's job easire. Fact it, the job of the police is to secure our
Rights.

We do not OWE it to the public to prove we are unlikely to endanger
others before being allowed to exercise something that is our Right.

Driving is a PRIVILEGE, not a RIGHT....get used to it...and while
you're at it, learn the different between its and it's. Maybe spend
less time driving and more time reading.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 06:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Doug McDonald

Carole Allen wrote:

Driving is a PRIVILEGE, not a RIGHT....get used to it...and while
you're at it, learn the different between its and it's. Maybe spend
less time driving and more time reading.

No, its a RIGHT that has been taken away by the government.

No one ever said that riding a horse was a "privilege" not
a right ... saying so would have been thought ludicrous. Driving
a car is EXACTLY like riding a horse. Except for one big thing:
a horse by itself can actively kill people. A turned off
car can't (and please, no stupid counterexamples ... I am perfectly aware that
a car that is parked on a hill with no brakes and in neutral can
roll down and kill somebody, etc., but a horse by itself can actively
decide to stomp somebody.)

Indeed, originally driving WAS a right, only later was that
right taken away. Same with flying an airplane ... the Wright
Brothers didn't have pilots licenses.

The number one reason for the existence of government is to
take away rights.

Doug McDonald