Driving in the former Yugoslavia

Old February 18th, 2004, 12:20 AM
Sean Jordan

Default Driving in the former Yugoslavia

Hi folks,

This summer I plan on renting a car with a buddy of mine and driving
it in a big loop around the Balkans. Now, I'm sure I'll have no
problem driving around Croatia -- been there, done that -- and Serbia
& Montenegro is reputedly only slightly worse, roadwise. The thing is,
I'd like to know if it's a good idea to include a meandering jog over
to Sarajevo and Mostar on this trip.

Roughly half the people I've polled say that driving in Bosnia and
Herzegovina is quite feasible, provided you're a careful and
reasonably skilled driver, while the other half think I'm nuts for
even contemplating the idea.

What do you think? Anybody out there care to relate their experiences
driving in Bosnia?

SJ
Old February 18th, 2004, 12:52 AM
Dan McLean

I was in Serbia about 2 months ago and the roads were not too busy and road
surfaces were mostly OK, the hotels were a bit grim but were incredibly
cheap. A word of caution, if you are driving a foreign registered car
anywhere in Eastern Europe it can be a magnet for thieves, leave nothing
valuable in your car, at any time.

Old February 18th, 2004, 01:44 AM
tim

"Sean Jordan" wrote in message
om...
Hi folks,

This summer I plan on renting a car with a buddy of mine and driving
it in a big loop around the Balkans. Now, I'm sure I'll have no
problem driving around Croatia -- been there, done that -- and Serbia
& Montenegro is reputedly only slightly worse, roadwise. The thing is,
I'd like to know if it's a good idea to include a meandering jog over
to Sarajevo and Mostar on this trip.

Roughly half the people I've polled say that driving in Bosnia and
Herzegovina is quite feasible, provided you're a careful and
reasonably skilled driver, while the other half think I'm nuts for
even contemplating the idea.

There nothing at all difficult about driving in BIH.
It navigating that's the problem. Road signs are not as
prominent as you would like and half of them are in
squiggly language that you cannot easily read.

I got lost lots of times and ended up about 100Km out of
my way before I found a sign back to where I wanted to go

I didn't find any decent hotels either, Fun experience, but not
particularly comfortable.

Sarajevo and Mostar worth visiting, none of the other large
towns seemed to offer much. Reasonable countryside
but not noticably different from inland Croatia

HTH

tim

Old February 18th, 2004, 09:34 AM
tile

we are normally doing business in Serbia
.. Roads in former YU countries are narrow but good and there is very little
traffic.
pls note that most bridges in former YU (serbia)
have been destroyed by american and allied air forces and are still to be
restored.
a map is provided with feasible itineraries.
Mostar and sarajevo are a MUST !!!!

In sarajevo in the old town you should leave yr car in a parking place.. as
parking is very limited.
do not worry
people are good and friendly
sarajevo is the town of religious friendship..
having allowed 4 religions to live together without
any problem.
( Catholic jewish moslem Orthodox)
sarajevo boasts the biggest mosque in Europe
( excluding istanbul of course )

Old February 18th, 2004, 07:10 PM
BrianE

Sean Jordan wrote:

Hi folks,

This summer I plan on renting a car with a buddy of mine and driving
it in a big loop around the Balkans. Now, I'm sure I'll have no
problem driving around Croatia -- been there, done that -- and Serbia
& Montenegro is reputedly only slightly worse, roadwise. The thing is,
I'd like to know if it's a good idea to include a meandering jog over
to Sarajevo and Mostar on this trip.

Roughly half the people I've polled say that driving in Bosnia and
Herzegovina is quite feasible, provided you're a careful and
reasonably skilled driver, while the other half think I'm nuts for
even contemplating the idea.

What do you think? Anybody out there care to relate their experiences
driving in Bosnia?

SJ

It'll be OK. Be sure to go through the Neretva region, in
Montenegro drive up to Cetinje
using the old road (a bit hairy but worth it). The view
across the Kotor fiord is staggering.

Old February 19th, 2004, 09:06 PM
BrianE

Art Sauder wrote:

On 17 Feb 2004 15:20:27 -0800, (Sean Jordan)
wrote:

Hi folks,

This summer I plan on renting a car with a buddy of mine and driving
it in a big loop around the Balkans. Now, I'm sure I'll have no
problem driving around Croatia -- been there, done that -- and Serbia
& Montenegro is reputedly only slightly worse, roadwise. The thing is,
I'd like to know if it's a good idea to include a meandering jog over
to Sarajevo and Mostar on this trip.

Roughly half the people I've polled say that driving in Bosnia and
Herzegovina is quite feasible, provided you're a careful and
reasonably skilled driver, while the other half think I'm nuts for
even contemplating the idea.

What do you think? Anybody out there care to relate their experiences
driving in Bosnia?

SJ

Going to Romania in May and want to drive across Serbia-----Belgrade
to Podgorica to get into Kotor area then Dubrovnik. Has anyone driven
the Belgrade--Podgorica route?? Comments on road condition, time it
takes, accommodation along the way etc. would be appreciated.
Art in Vancouver

I did, around 16/17 years ago, and it is well worth the
effort. The roads were OK just a bit
of due care and attention is required as it can be narrow
and steep in some places.

As i mentioned elsewhere in this thread, it's worth taking
the old road up to Cetinje, full of
hairpin bends it can be very tricky, but the view at the top
is well worth it.

Dubrovnik is great. There is a small island (sorry, the name
escapes me) just a short hop across from the old town, which
is full of roses. People will spend the day there swimming
and sunbathing, the water is crystal clear - it is just
gorgeous...

Good luck.

Old February 20th, 2004, 04:54 AM
Sean Jordan

wrote:

[...]

I agree with what you say about Dubrovnik. It's a stunning city.

Three more questions, then:

-What about the resort town of Budva? Is that worth a visit? How are
the prices nowadays?

-If I'm a reasonably competent and not-too-lead-footed driver, what
kinds of average speeds could I look forward to in the various Balkan
regions? All I know is that I can cover the flat, straight drive from
Budapest to Belgrade in the better part of an afternoon. Beyond that,
it's a bit of a mystery. The only other roads in that general
neighbourhood that I'm familiar with are the
Budapest--Zagreb--Rijeka road, as well as the coastal road running
around the Istrian peninsula.

-How treacherous is the Dubrovnik-Split coastal road on, say, a
weekday in June?

Thankee,

SJ
Old February 20th, 2004, 09:37 AM
BrianE

Sean Jordan wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Never been there, but it has always been a resort town hence
i reckon it's worth a look.
I reckon it'll be cheap, it would appear that Montenegro
will have more trouble revitalising its
tourist industry than did Croatia. Just my opinion though.

-If I'm a reasonably competent and not-too-lead-footed driver, what
kinds of average speeds could I look forward to in the various Balkan
regions? All I know is that I can cover the flat, straight drive from
Budapest to Belgrade in the better part of an afternoon. Beyond that,
it's a bit of a mystery. The only other roads in that general
neighbourhood that I'm familiar with are the
Budapest--Zagreb--Rijeka road, as well as the coastal road running
around the Istrian peninsula.

I found the roads from Ljubljana to Rijeka very slow and
winding with plenty of caravans holding up the traffic.

-How treacherous is the Dubrovnik-Split coastal road on, say, a
weekday in June?

Treacherous enough if you were going quickly, but i don't
think you'll get the chance ;-)

Personally i loved the drive, just don't be in a hurry.

Thankee,

Welcome...

SJ

Old February 20th, 2004, 08:53 PM
tim

"Sean Jordan" wrote in message
m...

I agree with what you say about Dubrovnik. It's a stunning city.

Three more questions, then:

-What about the resort town of Budva? Is that worth a visit? How are
the prices nowadays?

-If I'm a reasonably competent and not-too-lead-footed driver, what
kinds of average speeds could I look forward to in the various Balkan
regions?

Unless there is a motoway on the route don't expect to average more
than 40mph. Sometimes even that is difficult to achieve

All I know is that I can cover the flat, straight drive from
Budapest to Belgrade in the better part of an afternoon. Beyond that,
it's a bit of a mystery. The only other roads in that general
neighbourhood that I'm familiar with are the
Budapest--Zagreb--Rijeka road, as well as the coastal road running
around the Istrian peninsula.

-How treacherous is the Dubrovnik-Split coastal road on, say, a
weekday in June?

This is not that bad, the worst bit is Rijeka to Zadar.

Tim

Thankee,

SJ