Our dying newsgroup

Old June 28th, 2009, 03:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker John Sisker is offline
Banned

Default Our dying newsgroup

"Al" wrote in message
Group is dying due to long-winded gasbags using it as if it were a chat
room. Send e-mails if you want to gab!!!

While said in a rather abrupt way, Al hit the nail on the head. Others can
come up with all types of reasons why they feel this newsgroup may be dying,
thus allowing others in their circle of friends to blame me and/or others.
Yet, turning this newsgroup into their own personal chat room, when the
majority of their communications should really be by private e-mail instead,
this is where the real problem lies. Even if the so-called subject is on
target, which most seem to slip far from it, at least to me, "Bon Voyage"
and "Welcome Home" would not be in that realm.

John

Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:17 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker John Sisker is offline
Banned

"PDDeen" wrote in message

"I routinely skip over topics that I might like to read but don't because
of the author."

Wow! Now that's open minded. It's even more puzzling since so much is simply
press releases, which in reality, is a different author anyway. I guess that
some just can't get over the "kill the messenger" mindset - no matter how
ludicrous that actually sounds.

In addition, there is also a lot of incorrect speculations coming from
others, no-doubt trying to paint more false pictures. These will be
addressed over time, if and/or when it is deemed appropriate.

Smooth sailing to all...
John

Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kenn Smith

I read this group two or three times a week and am an infrequent poster.
I find it to be most helpful and sometimes entertaining. I have gotten
a lot of good information from various participants about our upcoming
cruise, our first, to Australia and New Zealand. I enjoy the usually
very well written cruise reviews, usually ignore the press releases and
stay out of the pi***ng contests which erupt. I take several heart
medications daily and, while I had already planned on taking the bottles
and backup prescriptions, found that thread interesting.

Ray Goldenberg did offer to give me a review of the hotel where we will
be staying in Sydney and promptly did so upon his return. That was much
appreciated. It was about what one would expect from a five star hotel
but confirmation of expectations is nice to have.

our cruise. I think we jumped through the final hoop yesterday when
we received our Australian electronic travel authorization. We've been
in deep south Texas (Brownsville) for the past two weeks in our motor
home and our new passports awaited us in the held mail when we got home
Tuesday. Now it's just a matter (I hope) of making our final payment
(late August), getting our travel documents and waiting out a long 4 1/2
months until we can climb on an airplane in Austin.