Dialysis Cruises

Old September 13th, 2009, 07:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
MelB

Default Dialysis Cruises

My wife and I would like to take a cruisb. The problem is that I need
dialysis 3 times per week. Where can I get info on cruises that provide
dialysis services?

Also, does Medicare pay for part or all of the dialysis? What about
additional medications, such as Epogen?
Old September 13th, 2009, 07:47 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosaly Z. Greenberger[_2_]

MelB wrote:
My wife and I would like to take a cruisb. The problem is that I need
dialysis 3 times per week. Where can I get info on cruises that provide
dialysis services?

Also, does Medicare pay for part or all of the dialysis? What about
additional medications, such as Epogen?

It was quite a few years ago but I remember that on the Holland American
Maasdam there was a man on dialysis. Even met the nurse who was giving
it on board. You might try calling the shipping line to investigate.
rosaly
Old September 13th, 2009, 07:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
MelB wrote:

My wife and I would like to take a cruisb. The problem is that I need
dialysis 3 times per week. Where can I get info on cruises that provide
dialysis services?

Most of the big companies indicate on their websites that they can do
peritoneal dialysis on board, although you need to make arrangements
ahead of time. They can't do hemodialysis. Isuppose you could get
hemodialysis in port, but that sorta limits the reasons for going, I
would think.
If you happen to live in area that gives you access to a doc
specializing in travel medicine, they might be able to tell you better.
You can find one at the International society of travel medicine's
website: http://www.istm.org/

Also, does Medicare pay for part or all of the dialysis? What about
additional medications, such as Epogen?

Don't know for sure and that might depend on where you board. I'd
check in with MCare to find out.

--
"Politics should be limited in its scope to war,
protection of property, and the occasional

Old September 13th, 2009, 08:24 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Kurt Ullman wrote:

Also, does Medicare pay for part or all of the dialysis? What about
additional medications, such as Epogen?

Don't know for sure and that might depend on where you board. I'd
check in with MCare to find out.

Medicare does not pay when out of the U.S., so I do not think they would
pay anything on a cruise ship.

sue
Old September 13th, 2009, 09:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Sue Mullen wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:

Also, does Medicare pay for part or all of the dialysis? What about
additional medications, such as Epogen?

Don't know for sure and that might depend on where you board. I'd
check in with MCare to find out.

Medicare does not pay when out of the U.S., so I do not think they would
pay anything on a cruise ship.

sue

That is why I thought it might depend on boarding. If you got the
solutions, etc., for peritoneal dialysis delivered to the dock in Ft.
Lauderdale, or LA or even San Juan, they MIGHT since it is still in the
US.

Old September 13th, 2009, 09:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Sue Mullen
wrote:

Medicare does not pay when out of the U.S., so I do not think they would
pay anything on a cruise ship.

If it is a US registered ship medicare will pay. :-)

I have read that some of the supplementary Medigap plans will provide
some coverage.

--
Charles
Old September 13th, 2009, 09:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
frijoli[_5_]

MelB wrote:
My wife and I would like to take a cruisb. The problem is that I need
dialysis 3 times per week. Where can I get info on cruises that provide
dialysis services?

Also, does Medicare pay for part or all of the dialysis? What about
additional medications, such as Epogen?

You absolutely need to contact and experienced cruise Travel
Agent.
Do your own research on the different lines, because it's in
your interest, but a travel agent will be a HUGE help in
this regard.

Clay
Old September 13th, 2009, 10:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
kerry ambler

i have a very good supplement. it will pay out of the country but only for
emergency care.

"Charles" wrote in message
d...

Old September 13th, 2009, 10:43 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jack Hamilton[_1_]

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 11:34:48 -0700, MelB wrote:

My wife and I would like to take a cruisb. The problem is that I need
dialysis 3 times per week. Where can I get info on cruises that provide
dialysis services?

Also, does Medicare pay for part or all of the dialysis? What about
additional medications, such as Epogen?

According to http://emerginghorizons.com/expert/index.php?id=125:

"Furthermore, Medicare will not pay for on-board dialysis treatments
on any cruise ship. Some private insurance policies will pay for up to
80% of the dialysis treatments though, so you might want to shop
around for additional coverage. Additionally, if you can arrange for
treatments in US ports in Medicare-approved facilities, Medicare will
cover that. Medicare will not cover routine dialysis treatments in
foreign ports."