Is it time to regulate the airlines again in the U.S.?

Old February 27th, 2010, 02:51 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Default Is it time to regulate the airlines again in the U.S.?

What do you think?

I was reading some numbers that show that a huge number of airlines went out
of business after deregulation in the U.S., and since deregulation, very few
airlines have thrived for long periods.

Add that to pilots being overworked and underpaid (and sometimes incompetent
and underqualified), plus airlines being encouraged to cut corners on safety
to save money, and it doesn't paint a very positive picture.
Old February 27th, 2010, 04:27 PM posted to rec.travel.air
William Black

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
What do you think?

I was reading some numbers that show that a huge number of airlines went
out
of business after deregulation in the U.S., and since deregulation, very
few
airlines have thrived for long periods.

Add that to pilots being overworked and underpaid (and sometimes
incompetent
and underqualified), plus airlines being encouraged to cut corners on
safety
to save money, and it doesn't paint a very positive picture.

Have \the statistical chances of being on an aircraft that has a serious
accident gone up?

Have the prices gone up faster than inflation?

If not then why bother?

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old February 27th, 2010, 06:31 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Bert Hyman

In Mxsmanic
wrote:

Add that to pilots being overworked and underpaid (and sometimes
incompetent and underqualified), plus airlines being encouraged to cut
corners on safety to save money, and it doesn't paint a very positive
picture.

Other than pilot pay, all the other aspects of the industry you name are
still regulated. I don't know who might be "encouraging" airlines to cut
corners on safety, other than the airline's own management.

For those outfits which choose to ignore them, regulations, like laws,
only have an effect after they're violated and someone's caught at it.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old February 28th, 2010, 12:13 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

William Black writes:

Look idiot, nobody cares what you think (for a very low value of 'think')

Wait until something happens or someone who actually is a senior figure in
the industry or the major regulating agency says something and get back to
us.

Those "senior figures" are my sources of information.
Old February 28th, 2010, 05:59 PM posted to rec.travel.air
William Black

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
news
William Black writes:

Look idiot, nobody cares what you think (for a very low value of
'think')

Wait until something happens or someone who actually is a senior figure
in
the industry or the major regulating agency says something and get back
us.

Those "senior figures" are my sources of information.

Name them.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old March 1st, 2010, 01:27 AM posted to rec.travel.air
us.thundernews.com

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
What do you think?

I was reading some numbers that show that a huge number of airlines went
out
of business after deregulation in the U.S., and since deregulation, very
few
airlines have thrived for long periods.

Add that to pilots being overworked and underpaid (and sometimes
incompetent
and underqualified), plus airlines being encouraged to cut corners on
safety
to save money, and it doesn't paint a very positive picture.

I agree with you. Airline employees today earn the same amount of money,
generally, that they did in 1978 when the U.S. industry was deregulated.
Adjust that for inflation, and the actual purchasing power is much lower.
Especially if you consider the non-pilot groups, which is why ticket agents
tend to be harried and sometimes surly.