Question 1 of 2. Travel docments

Old September 20th, 2004, 06:44 AM
LES!

Default Question 1 of 2. Travel docments

I know that a passport is better for cruising. But I have a question about
other documents.

Would a state issues ID serve the same as a state issued drivers license? My
friend doesn't drive and has never bothered learning to.

Would that work or should she g'head and get a passport? (I might just
insist she have a passport and pay for one for her)

Thanx

LES!

Old September 20th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Howie

LES! wrote:

I know that a passport is better for cruising. But I have a question about
other documents.

Would a state issues ID serve the same as a state issued drivers license? My
friend doesn't drive and has never bothered learning to.

Would that work or should she g'head and get a passport? (I might just
insist she have a passport and pay for one for her)

Thanx

LES!

I have no idea if a state ID would work, but I strongly recommend a
passport! It's easy to get, easy to carry, and rather indestructible.

Howie

Old September 20th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

LES! wrote:

Would a state issues ID serve the same as a state issued drivers license? My
friend doesn't drive and has never bothered learning to.

Would that work or should she g'head and get a passport? (I might just
insist she have a passport and pay for one for her)

Some state motor vehicle departments will issue a "non drivers"
picture ID and that would be ok to use. With that your friend would
need a copy of her birth certificate with the raised seal. This
assummes that you will be going to countries/islands that do not
require a passport. IMO it is much better to get a passport.

sue

Old September 20th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Mike Cordelli

It all depends on what you need the ID for. If you are going someplace that
doesn't need proof of citizenship, only a government issued ID, then the
state issued ID would probably be fine. But because the ID doesn't prove
citizenship, only who you are, if you are going someplace that requires you
to prove citizenship for entry, or to come back home, then you need to have
a passport, or for some countries like Mexico and Canada, a birth
certificate or some other type of proof.

A passport is without a doubt the best travel bargain out there, it's useful
for 9 1/2 years (good for ten, but useful for only 9 and 1/2 as many
countries require at least six months validity or they won't allow you in,
and if you work out the cost then it's under a dollar a month.

If you have the time, get the passport. Make a gift out of it, get a
leather holder for a few dollars, etc.

Old September 20th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Dillon Pyron

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 05:14:27 -0400, Howie
wrote:

LES! wrote:

I know that a passport is better for cruising. But I have a question about
other documents.

Would a state issues ID serve the same as a state issued drivers license? My
friend doesn't drive and has never bothered learning to.

Would that work or should she g'head and get a passport? (I might just
insist she have a passport and pay for one for her)

Thanx

LES!

I have no idea if a state ID would work, but I strongly recommend a
passport! It's easy to get, easy to carry, and rather indestructible.

Howie

In most states, the ID is issued by the same agency that issues
drivers licenses and looks almost identical. If it's good enough for
the TSA goons, immigration will probably go for it. The requirement
actually says "government issued identification".

But I agree with everyone else, get the passport. There's no telling
when you might see a $99 fare to Paris.

--
dillon

When I was a kid, I thought the angel's name was Hark
and the horse's name was Bob.

Old September 20th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Mike Cordelli

If you are showing it to immigration, then you have to prove citizenship,
which it will NOT do on it's own. It will prove identification, but not
citizenship.