Milan

Old August 15th, 2010, 05:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Stephen Ellenson

Default Milan

Hello rec.travel.europe and damned spammers,

My wife and I are planning a 12 day trip to Milan in November. We've been to
Italy several times but not to northern Italy (other than Florence and
Venice). We plan to base in Milan with a couple day trips to the lakes. We
are also looking to spend a few days in some other cities. What other cities
would anyone with your experience suggest? We plan to take trains. We were
thinking something like Bologna for a few days then Verona for a few days
then back to Milan. Or would Padova to Verona to Milan make more sense? What
about Genova or Torino? We enjoy history, art and architecture and
scrounging the markets for antiques. Any of your sage advice would be
appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve

Old August 15th, 2010, 06:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"Stephen Ellenson" wrote in message
Hello rec.travel.europe and damned spammers,

My wife and I are planning a 12 day trip to Milan in November.

Ah the foggy season :-)

: We've been to Italy several times but not to northern Italy (other than
Florence and Venice). We plan to base in Milan with a couple day trips to
the lakes. We are also looking to spend a few days in some other cities.
What other cities would anyone with your experience suggest? We plan to
take trains. We were thinking something like Bologna for a few days then
Verona for a few days then back to Milan. Or would Padova to Verona to
Milan make more sense?

You probably have enough time to do Bologna-Padova-Verona.

You should make a trip to Certosa di Pavia, it's only a few stations outside
of Milan

tim

Old August 15th, 2010, 07:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 18:02:55 +0100, "tim...."
wrote:

"Stephen Ellenson" wrote in message
Hello rec.travel.europe and damned spammers,

My wife and I are planning a 12 day trip to Milan in November.

Ah the foggy season :-)

The cold damp miserable season.

I always like to emphasis places that get habitual fog because everywhere
that I go in Europe and say I come from London everyone replies "that foggy
city" despite that fact that the fog there has never been normal in my
lifetime

tim

Old August 15th, 2010, 07:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Stephen Ellenson

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 11:49:22 -0500, "Stephen Ellenson"

wrote:

Hello rec.travel.europe and damned spammers,

My wife and I are planning a 12 day trip to Milan in November. We've been
Italy several times but not to northern Italy (other than Florence and
Venice). We plan to base in Milan with a couple day trips to the lakes.

You are going at the wrong time of year. Milan is pretty grim and winter
in
Milan is the pits

We
are also looking to spend a few days in some other cities. What other
cities
would anyone with your experience suggest? We plan to take trains. We were
thinking something like Bologna for a few days then Verona for a few days
then back to Milan. Or would Padova to Verona to Milan make more sense?
What
about Genova or Torino?

Better use English or Italian spelling for towns. Mixing sounds
pretentious. )

We enjoy history, art and architecture and
scrounging the markets for antiques. Any of your sage advice would be
appreciated.

Bergamo is close and nice place to visit.

Venice?
--

Martin

Well, that's when we can go and believe me it's better weather there than
where we are coming from. Didn't mean to sound pretentious that's just the
way I remembered them off the top of my head. Thanks for the advice
Bergamo anyway. Been to Venice, lovely.

Old August 16th, 2010, 12:46 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Stephen Ellenson

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 13:45:30 -0500, "Stephen Ellenson"

wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Hence my smiley. No offence intended.

None taken. It will be snow and ice at home. Fog and damp is a walk in the
park. We'll be prepared for weather.

Thanks for the advice
Bergamo anyway.

The nice/historic part is on top of the hill.

Good to know, thanks.

Been to Venice, lovely.

but if you go in November like I did the first I went there you can see
Venice
in the fog )
--

Martin

But if it was fog in Venice, how did you see Ven........ oh never mind:-)

Old August 16th, 2010, 08:22 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

Stephen Ellenson wrote:

Hello rec.travel.europe and damned spammers,

My wife and I are planning a 12 day trip to Milan in November. We've been to
Italy several times but not to northern Italy (other than Florence and
Venice). We plan to base in Milan with a couple day trips to the lakes. We
are also looking to spend a few days in some other cities. What other cities
would anyone with your experience suggest? We plan to take trains. We were
thinking something like Bologna for a few days then Verona for a few days
then back to Milan. Or would Padova to Verona to Milan make more sense? What
about Genova or Torino? We enjoy history, art and architecture and
scrounging the markets for antiques. Any of your sage advice would be
appreciated.

On the way to Bologna, consider stopping at both Parma and Modena for
history and art etc.- not to mention the food.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old August 16th, 2010, 10:51 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Michael[_1_]

David Horne wrote:
Stephen Ellenson wrote:

Hello rec.travel.europe and damned spammers,

My wife and I are planning a 12 day trip to Milan in November. We've been to
Italy several times but not to northern Italy (other than Florence and
Venice). We plan to base in Milan with a couple day trips to the lakes. We
are also looking to spend a few days in some other cities. What other cities
would anyone with your experience suggest? We plan to take trains. We were
thinking something like Bologna for a few days then Verona for a few days
then back to Milan. Or would Padova to Verona to Milan make more sense? What
about Genova or Torino? We enjoy history, art and architecture and
scrounging the markets for antiques. Any of your sage advice would be
appreciated.

On the way to Bologna, consider stopping at both Parma and Modena for
history and art etc.- not to mention the food.

I stayed a few days in Parma on business and loved it. Very laidback,
and the food was indeed sensational. It's not spectacular, but very
likeable. Also, it's the only town in Italy where I saw so many poeple
on bicycles.

http://cannes-or-bust.com/
Old August 16th, 2010, 05:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 19:30:17 +0100, "tim...."
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

"Stephen Ellenson" wrote in message
Hello rec.travel.europe and damned spammers,

My wife and I are planning a 12 day trip to Milan in November.

Ah the foggy season :-)

The cold damp miserable season.

I always like to emphasis places that get habitual fog because everywhere
that I go in Europe and say I come from London everyone replies "that
foggy
city" despite that fact that the fog there has never been normal in my
lifetime

I did business trips to Milan every week on and off for years. Only once
was a
flight delayed by fog.

Yeahbut I bet it was in November

tim

Old August 16th, 2010, 09:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 124

Default Soon martin will be telling us about his prostate disorder

martin's fascinating stories

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : ...
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 17:31:40 +0100, "tim...."
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 19:30:17 +0100, "tim...."

wrote:

m...

wrote:

"Stephen Ellenson" wrote in message
Hello rec.travel.europe and damned spammers,

My wife and I are planning a 12 day trip to Milan in November.

Ah the foggy season :-)

The cold damp miserable season.

I always like to emphasis places that get habitual fog because
everywhere
that I go in Europe and say I come from London everyone replies "that
foggy
city" despite that fact that the fog there has never been normal in my
lifetime

I did business trips to Milan every week on and off for years. Only once
was a
flight delayed by fog.

Yeahbut I bet it was in November

How did you guess? )

It was at Linate )

KLM checked us in knowing that the plane that we were supposed to catch
was
still in Amsterdam, where the flight had been cancelled because of fog.
Around 1 a.m. we were driven to Malpensa where we were put in another
plane,
after the bus had located the plane in the fog.
--

Martin