ship elevator escape hatch

Old January 8th, 2008, 05:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default ship elevator escape hatch

hi there, i noticed on a large ferry i was on had a ladder inside the
elevator and a escape hatch in the ceiling.

it made me realize the glim prospect of being trapped inside an
elevator inside a sinking vessel.

There werent much instructions except for an emergency exit sign.so
what are you supposed to do in such a situation? i thought mayb the
ppl here have some experience with this type of drill. thx

Old January 8th, 2008, 09:52 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Jan 8, 12:09 pm, s wrote:
hi there, i noticed on a large ferry i was on had a ladder inside the
elevator and a escape hatch in the ceiling.

it made me realize the glim prospect of being trapped inside an
elevator inside a sinking vessel.

There werent much instructions except for an emergency exit sign.so
what are you supposed to do in such a situation? i thought mayb the
ppl here have some experience with this type of drill. thx

Another good argument for always using the stairs....

Old January 8th, 2008, 09:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rik Brown[_50_]

s;1388424 Wrote:
hi there, i noticed on a large ferry i was on had a ladder inside the
elevator and a escape hatch in the ceiling.

it made me realize the glim prospect of being trapped inside an
elevator inside a sinking vessel.

There werent much instructions except for an emergency exit sign.so
what are you supposed to do in such a situation? i thought mayb the
ppl here have some experience with this type of drill. thx

Like in an earthquake, I wouldn't get into an elevator when a ship is
sinking. You could lose electrical power to the elevator at any time and
be trapped (seen it happen in the movies).

Myself, I always take a few seconds when I get to my cabin or a hotel
room and know all my escape routes. Really just takes a few seconds and
you are prepared. As they say, "Stay away from the elevators in an
emergency."

Bon Voyage. -- Rik

--
Rik Brown
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Old January 9th, 2008, 06:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake s :

hi there, i noticed on a large ferry i was on had a ladder inside the
elevator and a escape hatch in the ceiling.

it made me realize the glim prospect of being trapped inside an
elevator inside a sinking vessel.

There werent much instructions except for an emergency exit sign.so
what are you supposed to do in such a situation? i thought mayb the
ppl here have some experience with this type of drill. thx

You don't see "escape instructions" in any elevator. To climb out
into the shaft without professional help is insane!!

Yes, there are hatches.

And if you are stupid enough to get into an elevator while a ship is
obviously sinking, I hope they you haven't already propogated your
genes.
--
dillon

Always get off the first shot. You may hit him and
you're sure to throw off his aim. -- Lazarus Long
Old January 9th, 2008, 10:04 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser[_2_]

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 00:41:39 -0600, Dillon Pyron wrote:

You don't see "escape instructions" in any elevator. To climb out
into the shaft without professional help is insane!!

Yes, there are hatches.

And if you are stupid enough to get into an elevator while a ship is
obviously sinking, I hope they you haven't already propogated your
genes.
--
dillon

If they are st00pid enough to have the elevator doors working.....
Old January 9th, 2008, 09:39 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
BrianK

On 1/9/2008 1:41 AM Dillon Pyron did the "neutron dance", then made
these writings:
Thus spake s :

hi there, i noticed on a large ferry i was on had a ladder inside the
elevator and a escape hatch in the ceiling.

it made me realize the glim prospect of being trapped inside an
elevator inside a sinking vessel.

There werent much instructions except for an emergency exit sign.so
what are you supposed to do in such a situation? i thought mayb the
ppl here have some experience with this type of drill. thx

You don't see "escape instructions" in any elevator. To climb out
into the shaft without professional help is insane!!

Yes, there are hatches.

And if you are stupid enough to get into an elevator while a ship is
obviously sinking, I hope they you haven't already propogated your
genes.

Oh that's cold! Perhaps the O.P. was asking for what to do in a
situation where you are already in an elevator when something bad
happens. That is really a good question. It might be a good idea to ask
the cruise line what to do in that situation.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old January 10th, 2008, 02:52 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jaap van Dorp

The elevators usually are equipped with escape power, a battery will release
brake till elevator gets to certain floors and open the doors.
The escape hatch is locked from top and is only used to rescue passengers
from outside of elevator, The hatch is not allowed to be unlocked for
obviuous reasons, there are idiots that would try to ride on top of elevator
and get killed.

Jaap van Dorp

"BrianK" wrote in message
[...]

Brian M. Kochera "Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!"

Old January 15th, 2008, 03:45 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake "Jaap van Dorp" :

The elevators usually are equipped with escape power, a battery will release
brake till elevator gets to certain floors and open the doors.
The escape hatch is locked from top and is only used to rescue passengers
from outside of elevator, The hatch is not allowed to be unlocked for
obviuous reasons, there are idiots that would try to ride on top of elevator
and get killed.

Correction. There ARE idiots who ride on top of the elevator and get
killed. Until about the early 1970s, the hatches on elevators in the
US could be opened from the inside. And, because of grandfathering,
some still do.

Jaap van Dorp