Snow Problems - anyone care to debate?

Old December 1st, 2010, 05:45 PM posted to uk.transport.air,alt.travel.uk.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default Snow Problems - anyone care to debate?

Snow Problems - anyone care to debate?

Why are UK airports so ill-prepared for adverse weather?
How do Scandinavian countries cope?
Should UK airports have electric blanket type heating
on runways, taxiways and aprons.?
There has to be solutions surely?
Old December 1st, 2010, 06:17 PM posted to uk.transport.air,alt.travel.uk.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Nothing at all to do with the fact Edinburgh has just suffered the worst
snowfalls since 1963?

Or Gatwick being snow-closed and no doubt others to follow?
It's not about individual airports, one would suspect your motives
after you changed the headers for replies.?
Hopefully folk will debate rather than pursue your usenet vendetta.

Old December 1st, 2010, 06:40 PM posted to uk.transport.air,alt.travel.uk.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Dec 1, 6:38*pm, Dawn Khorus wrote:

Snow Problems - anyone care to debate?

Why are UK airports so ill-prepared for adverse weather?
How do Scandinavian countries cope?
Should UK airports have electric blanket type heating
on runways, taxiways and aprons.?
There has to be solutions surely?

stay at home

Or book a room at the airport? :-)

Old December 2nd, 2010, 01:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article
,
" wrote:

Snow Problems - anyone care to debate?

Why are UK airports so ill-prepared for adverse weather?

They don't get it as regularly as the Scandinavian countries.
How do Scandinavian countries cope?

I would guess the same way northern ones do in the USA: snowplows
adequate for the job.
Should UK airports have electric blanket type heating
on runways, taxiways and aprons.?
There has to be solutions surely?

Ask the northerners.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.mosaictelecom.com/~erilarlo
Old December 2nd, 2010, 06:37 AM posted to uk.transport.air,alt.travel.uk.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,rec.travel.europe
Runge 125 1/2

Thank you michaelnewport, what a useful post !

Old December 2nd, 2010, 07:11 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 19:42:44 -0600, erilar wrote in post :
:

In article
,
" wrote:

Snow Problems - anyone care to debate?

Why are UK airports so ill-prepared for adverse weather?

They don't get it as regularly as the Scandinavian countries.
How do Scandinavian countries cope?

I would guess the same way northern ones do in the USA: snowplows
adequate for the job.
Should UK airports have electric blanket type heating
on runways, taxiways and aprons.?
There has to be solutions surely?

Ask the northerners.

And then consider how much this will all cost in comparison to the couple
of days disturbance caused. Are /you/ prepared to pay for it out of taxes
or increased fares?

--
Tim C.
You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 08:06 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

" wrote:

[...]

Look, get your priorities right.
My main concern currently is digging my way over the hill to the pub.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 10:17 AM posted to uk.transport.air,alt.travel.uk.air,alt.airports.uk.edinburgh,rec.travel.europe
Joe Curry[_3_]

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 22:23:52 +0000, William Black
wrote:

There has to be solutions surely?

Of course there are.

But they cost a great deal of money and would be needed once a decade.

It's cheaper for the airport to close.

Apparently but airports in snow-ridden countries do not close too
often?

Geo-thermal heating might provide the answer?

http://platinum.ts.odu.edu/Apps/FAAU...enFileResource