Belize City and Santo Tomas?

Old August 22nd, 2005, 01:45 PM
Tony

Default Belize City and Santo Tomas?

We are taking the HAL 7-day western and would appreciate recommendations on
shore activities for the ports of Belize City and Santa Tomas?
Thanks

Old August 22nd, 2005, 04:18 PM
Becca

Tony wrote:
We are taking the HAL 7-day western and would appreciate
recommendations on shore activities for the ports of Belize City and
Santa Tomas? Thanks

In Belize, I have gone snorkeling at Goff's Cay, cave tubing and I
visited a couple of Mayan ruins.

It is shallow and rocky at Goff's Cay and it was not the best
snorkeling, maybe the problem was where I was located. The boat ride to
get there is a fast one, hold onto your hat.

We went cave tubing with Reggie. This was one of the most fun
excursions I have ever done. We liked it so much, we did it
again on our next cruise to Belize.

http://www.regtour.com/

We went to the Xunantunich Mayan Site (ship excursion $65.00, lunch and
bottled water, included). There is a long bus ride, the tour guides
offered information about Belize along the way. After the bus ride we
stood on a ferry to cross a river. There was a short walk to the
Mayan site. Their museum displays a three-dimensional model of the
site, as well as depicting the evolution of Maya civilization. My
husband climbed to the top of "El Castillo" which was 130 feet. You see
a panoramic view of the jungle canopy, the Mopan and Belize River
valleys, the Guatemalan Peten District, which is only a few miles away.
It was raining when we visited. I was afraid I would slip on the
grass, so instead of climbing on the ruins I stayed on the ground (my
husband did slip but he was not injured). After the tour we stopped at
a restaurant and we had chicken, beans and rice, cole slaw. There were
rest rooms and souvenirs.

I enjoyed visiting the Lamanai ruins. There was a bus ride, a boat
ride, lunch (chicken, beans and rice, bottled water), then there was a
long walk to Lamanai. They are still uncovering Lamanai, through funds
from Canada (thanks Canada). We had a tour guide who gave us plenty
of information. They have a small museum, but it is very interesting.
The pottery is displayed according to the period in which it was made.
As you enter the museum, you will find the pottery from the Preclassic
Period arranged on the shelves to the left.

Enjoy your cruise.

Becca