Americans panicking again..................

Old February 6th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Alan Pollock

Default Americans panicking again..................

In rec.travel.usa-canada Simon Elliott wrote:
All the reports, including the few Israeli ones I've seen, seem to agree
on the salient facts of the case. The only difference is attitude: the
UK media were outraged, while the few Israeli reports I've seen took the
view that the guy was in a war zone and **** happens.

One can be outraged by an incident. You're outraged by something much more
general, and you're attempting to link the two. Doesn't work, for once you try
to establish a pattern of behavior, objective observeration reveals that -
barring a few particular incidents - the Israeli side acts with a general
regard for civilian life, while the Palestinian side targets civilians. Nex
Old February 6th, 2004, 09:03 PM
alohacyberian

"Simon Elliott" wrote in message
alohacyberian writes

His employment doesn't mean he wasn't a subversive

'subversive' is quite a subjective term. Many IDF members think that UN
Relief and Works Agency is almost by definition subversive. That doesn't
make it so.

Nor does it make it "not so". Perhaps the people in charge of the situation
were privvy to information that you you don't have. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect

Old February 6th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Simon Elliott

Alan Pollock writes
In rec.travel.usa-canada Simon Elliott wrote:
All the reports, including the few Israeli ones I've seen, seem to agree
on the salient facts of the case. The only difference is attitude: the
UK media were outraged, while the few Israeli reports I've seen took the
view that the guy was in a war zone and **** happens.

One can be outraged by an incident.

I am outraged by this incident. It's very clear cut, it involves the
killing of a fellow Brit, and nothing much seems to have been done about
it. But you can't build a case on outrage alone, nor do I intend to.

You're outraged by something much more
general, and you're attempting to link the two. Doesn't work, for once you try
to establish a pattern of behavior, objective observeration reveals that -
barring a few particular incidents - the Israeli side acts with a general
regard for civilian life,

Recent, and not so recent, events don't bear this out. I can give you a
list as long as your arm if you really want.

while the Palestinian side targets civilians.

No argument there.

But back to Iain Hook. As far as I'm aware, and I might have missed
something, there's been no investigation, no senior officers have been
court martialled, no heads have rolled. If this is the case, doesn't it
indicate that there's a culture of disregard for civilian life within
the IDF, and doesn't it indicate that this disregard goes right to the
very top?
--
Simon Elliott
http://www.ctsn.co.uk/

Old February 6th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Simon Elliott

alohacyberian writes
His employment doesn't mean he wasn't a subversive

'subversive' is quite a subjective term. Many IDF members think that UN
Relief and Works Agency is almost by definition subversive. That doesn't
make it so.

Nor does it make it "not so". Perhaps the people in charge of the situation
were privvy to information that you you don't have.

In which case this should come out in the investigation, at least in
general terms. I've been unable to find any details of any investigation
(which doesn't mean that it didn't happen).

In any event, unless Mr. Hook was presenting an immediate danger to the
IDF personnel, he should not have been shot out of hand even if he was a
'subversive', whatever that much abused term means in this context.

But that's a moot point, because no-one has ever presented any evidence
to even suggest that Mr. Hook was anything other than an engineer
working for UNRWA, trying to do a project management job in very
difficult circumstances.
--
Simon Elliott
http://www.ctsn.co.uk/

Old February 7th, 2004, 11:08 PM
George Orwell

Gregory Morrow wrote:

Sjoerd wrote:

Hear, hear. Thanks for a voice of reason in this ocean of aloha's,

vitaly's,
gregory's and binyamin's extreme right-wing idiots.

Tut tut now, Sjoerd - just because I don't follow your "everything is
relative" moral mantra doesn't mean that I'm a "right-wing idiot" ('though
I'm flattered to be considered in the same category as Vitaly and Binyamin
;-)

Just so ya know, I abhor Bush just as much as anybody and hope he and his
myrmidons go down in flames in November...

As far as the war goes, well we are there and I want to see things go well.
This is a good opportunity for some "nation - building" but it the post war
plans have been bungled badly. Hope another administration can do a better
job of things....

I refuse to yield on my support of Israel and it's policies. The Jews have
built themselves a pretty fine little country despite all. As a US tax
payer, some of my money goes to aid Israel, and I consider it money well -
spent. Frankly, I wouldn't mind at all if more of my tax dollars went to
support Israel. At least it's a country that has accomplished something,
unlike a lot of the ratholes (Egypt, etc.) into which we've poured money.

As for your allusions to Israeli "terrorism", let's put *you* in a situation
where everyone that surrounds wants you dead. Let's see how *you* would
react. Those enemies that actively try to kill you aren't some cuddly
little brown "freedom fighters" but they are your deadly enemies. You'd do
everything you legally could to try to keep yourself alive - that is what
Israel is doing. Oh, and in this example you have lots of people that you
thought were your friends (let's call them "Western Europeans") who are not
only giving aid and comfort to your enemies, but actively dislike you for
your religious beliefs (let's call this "anti - semitism). Get the picture
now?

I disdain Islam as it is currently practiced because it is a religion of
*death*, not life. The quickest way to heaven the Islam way appears to be
to blow yourself up along with a lot of innocents. You can have it. I hate
it. To me "Muslim" = "Problem". You Europeans think *exactly* the same
thing too, but you are just too pussy - mouthed to say it since you are all
so Politically Correct and such (don't bother denying it, all you Euro -
pukes *know* I'm right). You'll *rue* the day that you let large numbers of
Muslims into your nations, because they are like a cancer, they will attempt
to destroy what you've built up over the years (your city of Rotterdam
already realises this, thus a ban on refugees, and minimum income
requirements in order to get a residence permit)....

And I guess my admiration for Israel and Judaism stems from the fact that
Judaism is a religion that *affirms* life - it embraces life and learning
and vitality and intellectual inquiry and accomplishment and trying to do
the best one possibly can while one is living one's short life on this
planet. You might say that Judaism is the religion of winners, while OTOH
Islam is the religion of losers. I'm an atheist, but I prefer to cast my
lot with the winners of the world, thus my respect for Judaism and the state
of Israel, who have persevered despite pretty crummy odds....

So that's my little lesson for today. More lessons to follow if requests
warrant :-)

You GO girl !!! ;-)

I think we're just going to have to name you "Honorary Ellen." In her absence
somebody's got to keep these ****s in shape.

Old February 8th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Gregory Morrow

George Orwell wrote:

Gregory Morrow wrote:

Sjoerd wrote:

[...]

I am *humbled*...lol ;--)

[At least JF won't ask me "May I call you Ellen?"...he's already 'round the
bend thinking that I am his "nemesis"...]

--
Best
Greg